We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Nationwide Mortgage

Options

Comments

• Cheryl2010
    Cheryl2010 Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @rally8765 - thank you!

Just received the paperwork via email and the first payment looks to be double the normal monthly payment 😱. Trying to work out how we can possibly get this down a little as it will use most of the extra money we have saved! 

Think it is all to do with the interest rate charged between completion and the first payment date.

I never stay stress free for long 🤣
  • rally8765
    rally8765 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 June 2023 at 2:16PM
    Options
    @rally8765 - thank you!

Just received the paperwork via email and the first payment looks to be double the normal monthly payment 😱. Trying to work out how we can possibly get this down a little as it will use most of the extra money we have saved! 

Think it is all to do with the interest rate charged between completion and the first payment date.

I never stay stress free for long 🤣
    I can explain this one. The figure you see is illustrative, but it will depend on when the bank will release the fund to the solicitor. It will then accrue interests until the end of the month from that day.

i.e. Say that you complete on the 10th of June and Nationwide release the fund on that day. You will accrue interests from that day until the 30th of June. Then in July you will pay for the first time, which is essentially your July payment + the interest accrued in June. 

I say it's indicative because the Mortgage Illustration assumes you complete on a specific date to give you an idea. If you were to complete closer to the end of the month, you'd accrue less interest. 

So ideally if you can time the completion and release of funds closer to the end of the month, you will pay significantly less on your first mortgage payment.
  • Cheryl2010
    Options
    @rally8765 - thank you!

So we are hoping to complete on 24th July - so our first mortgage payment would be approx 4 weeks later (approx 24th August) and also have the interest added from 24th July -1st August is that correct?

With Nationwide the payments seem to be the 1st of each month, would my second mortgage payment then be 1st September or 1st October?

I am trying to make sure we have enough budgeted to cover legal fees / mortgage payment and any extras

Thank you!
  • rally8765
    rally8765 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    @rally8765 - thank you!

So we are hoping to complete on 24th July - so our first mortgage payment would be approx 4 weeks later (approx 24th August) and also have the interest added from 24th July -1st August is that correct?

With Nationwide the payments seem to be the 1st of each month, would my second mortgage payment then be 1st September or 1st October?

I am trying to make sure we have enough budgeted to cover legal fees / mortgage payment and any extras

Thank you!
    Unfortunately I am not sure on this one. When I applied, my broker asked which day of the month I'd like to pay. I just left it on the first of the month. I am assuming that if you chose a different day of the month, you will pay on that day and you can ignore the illustration showing that payments are due on 1st. 
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    @rally8765 - thank you!

Thank you!
    Nationwide collects in advance. If you complete on 24 July in your first payment you will pay one month's payment for August plus accrued interest from 24 - 31 July about two weeks after completion; followed by your first regular payment for September on your chosen payment date (ie 1st.)
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Viperex
    Viperex Posts: 37 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Had valuation done Yesterday hoping to getting offer text or email . Do they send offers later in evening or weekend . As you can tell its waiting just to hear offer received 
  • Cheryl2010
    Options
    @Viperex have you had a text confirmed they agree with the valuation?

Our broker advised that they are running behind schedule re timeliness but we got our offer through mid afternoon verbally and it was sent via email about an hour later.  Not sure if they send offers evening / weekend sorry.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you
  • Viperex
    Options
    Is it worth calling Nationwide for update ? as i have  gone trough broker ?
  • Viperex
    edited 15 June 2023 at 7:58PM
    Options
    Just seen on BBC that Nationwide are gonna up there rate to 0.7 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65921085

I have been waiting for valuer to come back and hopefully get offer anytime soon , will this news effect me and end up getting a new rate as to the one i had accepted with broker ? im worried 
  • Cheryl2010
    Options
    Hi @Viperex

Your rate should have been fixed when you put your full application in, but you could always call your broker for confirmation. 

When we were waiting to hear, the rate raised quite a bit but our broker advised we had locked in the rate at the time of application and it wouldn't change unless we had to apply with a different lender
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure