IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Gladstone’s Solicitors / Local Car Park Management

Hi. I received a PCN for parking at a private car park on 1st January 2020. I am pretty sure the meter was not working (I do not have proof) as there were other vehicles parked without a ticket. I received a PCN (attached) which I ignored. I have now received the below letter from Gladstone’s solicitors. Can anyone please advise?

Comments

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 June 2020 at 3:19PM
    Standard junk mail from Gladstones giving you 14 days ???
    Have they added a fake £60 ??

You ignore this letter and if they take it further they will send you a letter before claim giving you 30 days to respond.  
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,252
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    At the moment the Gladstones letter is just a debt collection chaser and can be safely ignored. Nothing for you to do with it at the moment. It's not to say that a court claim won't follow but this is not at that point.  The NEWBIES FAQ sticky, fourth post, covers debt collectors and how to deal with them.

Have you been in contact with the landowner to see if they will help?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • ImranU95
    ImranU95 Posts: 106
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Umkomaas said:
    At the moment the Gladstones letter is just a debt collection chaser and can be safely ignored. Nothing for you to do with it at the moment. It's not to say that a court claim won't follow but this is not at that point.  The NEWBIES FAQ sticky, fourth post, covers debt collectors and how to deal with them.

I’m not sure who the landowner is.. i have parked in the same car park without a ticket previously and didn’t get a ticket. My point is that none of the other cars there had tickets either?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,426
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    That's simply a debt collector's letter. The clue is it is only offering you fourteen days to respond.

The fourth post in the NEWBIES thread describes exactly how to deal with debt collector's letters.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,252
    Forumite
    edited 18 June 2020 at 5:17PM
    ImranU95 said:
    Umkomaas said:

I’m not sure who the landowner is.. i have parked in the same car park without a ticket previously and didn’t get a ticket. My point is that none of the other cars there had tickets either?
    Well they're probably dealing with same letters you are dealing with!  

I'm not sure what point you're making?  If you see someone steal goods from a shop, do you do likewise?  Not paying for parking is essentially the same. A parking meter not working doesn't mean it becomes free to park.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • ImranU95
    Forumite
    Thanks guys, i’ll hang tight and await their next letter 
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,156
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    ImranU95 said:
    Umkomaas said:
    Irrelevant I am afraid; they may have received a postal PCN of which you are unaware.  All you an do is deal with what is in front of you.  If the PDT was malfunctioning or U/S, then you can claim frustration of contract but beware the PPC will probably claim you should have parked elsewhere.  Was there another PDT?
  • ImranU95
    Forumite
    Le_Kirk said:
    ImranU95 said:
    Umkomaas said:
    Irrelevant I am afraid; they may have received a postal PCN of which you are unaware.  All you an do is deal with what is in front of you.  If the PDT was malfunctioning or U/S, then you can claim frustration of contract but beware the PPC will probably claim you should have parked elsewhere.  Was there another PDT?
    There wasn’t nope. There is only one im pretty sure
  • ImranU95
    Forumite
    Something just popped into my mind. I was previously advised to send an SAR to the PCN company and to also advise the solicitors of this. Should I still do this or wait for a LBC?
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084
    Forumite
    edited 18 June 2020 at 9:35PM
    your choice, but the sooner a SAR is done , the sooner you obtain all your data , definitely do so if an LBC arrives
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback