IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Gladstone’s Solicitors / Local Car Park Management

Options

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 16 November 2020 at 2:30PM
    Options
    If you (or anyone for that matter) send a copy of the DL or passport, against what are they going to compare the photo?  Do they have a database of everybody in England and Wales?  Do they even know what you look like?  And even worse, passports do not contain your address!  You should always attach a scan of the V5C when submitting a SAR - it is the one bit of paper that proves you have a right to your data (providing your are the RK).
  • Were_Doomed
    Options
    Le_Kirk said:
    If you (or anyone for that matter) send a copy of the DL or passport, against what are they going to compare the photo?  Do they have a database of everybody in England and Wales?  Do they even know what you look like?  And even worse, passports do not contain your address!  You should always attach a scan of the V5C when submitting a SAR - it is the one bit of paper that proves you have a right to your data (providing your are the RK).
    In this case they've requested a certified copy ... that certification proves the document belongs to the person identified, so they wouldn't need a database. ;)

That said, they still don't need it - and asking for it is in itself (I believe) a breach of ICO guidelines.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Le_Kirk said:
    In this case they've requested a certified copy ... that certification proves the document belongs to the person identified, so they wouldn't need a database. ;)
    That said, they still don't need it - and asking for it is in itself (I believe) a breach of ICO guidelines.
    Good point and noted.  Given the cost to obtain certified copies when I was obtaining probate last year, it would be cheaper to pay the original PCN!
  • ImranU95
    ImranU95 Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cheers guys, I’ll respond to the parking firm advising of this and that I will report them to the ICO. I will also send them my V5C.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,777 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You should have attached the V5C to the SAR anyway.  It was the way to identify yourself as the data subject.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Even were you to submit your DL or passport, they still require it to be certified by a solicitor or accountant or your MP.  Just who do they think they are?

I'd fire off an immediate complaint to the ICO, I think Shazad Razzaq needs swiftly re-educating by the ICO to enable him to do the job he's supposed to be doing. 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • ImranU95
    Options
    You should have attached the V5C to the SAR anyway.  It was the way to identify yourself as the data subject.
    Thanks, I sent an SAR previously without attaching a V5C and I got the information required so didn’t think it’d be a different process. I’ll keep you guys updated.
  • ImranU95
    Options
    I have reported them to the ICO, and I have also sent a reply with my V5C. However, I have just received this response..
  • Were_Doomed
    Options
    Make sure that response is filed with the ICO.
  • ImranU95
    Options
    I will file this with the ICO once I receive a response from a case officer, as it doesn’t allow me to add any further information.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback