Reboot and select proper boot device

Options

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The system saw the disk earlier as a seagate st3000dm001 3TB

🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The system saw the disk earlier as a seagate st3000dm001 3TB

Ok, I really don’t understand Lol
    Fill in the blank If I ask a friend the following question
    ”hi can you get me a usb with ..............?” ☺️

• debitcardmayhem
    Options
    OK there are two things which may help but for simplicity you could get them to download the seagate  tools which will confirm the disk is goosed or not
    They will need to open the zipped archive and unzip it, then run the
    usbbootmaker.exe to create the usb stick with a minimum size of 256MB (very small) , formatted as fat32 the documentation is not very clear for everyone
    You can get support from Seagate if needed look here https://support2.seagate.com/?language=en-gb and How old is the PC , if the disk is dead then you may be able to get a warranty replacement too
    A new disk depending on the size would be about £35 for 1TB to about 59 for3TB , alternately you could get a SSD (solid state disk) which is faster, but more expensive for smaller capacities.
    How old is the PC , if the disk is dead then you may be able to get a warranty replacement too

🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ok, I’m going to leave it for now while I try and get someone to do the above for me. 
    Pc is 4 years old so not under any warranty. 
    I just wanted to say thank you again for your time and your patience. You’ve been an absolute star! 
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    Yeah well you are welcome, seagate give 2 year warranties , it used to be more. If you get a new disk we will still be here, nowhere else for me to go. It should be easy to install, but the guys on here will talk you through it. Well done for persevering with the remote instructions.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yeah well you are welcome, seagate give 2 year warranties , it used to be more. If you get a new disk we will still be here, nowhere else for me to go. It should be easy to install, but the guys on here will talk you through it. Well done for persevering with the remote instructions.

Seagate used to be three years, was later five, then reduced to three again.  The Ironwulf drives have five years but they're more expensive anyway.  They seem to have settled on three years after buying out most of their half of the market, with HGST buying the rest.  Some HGST/Western Digital warranties are all over the place from 1 to 5 depending on what you buy but Seagate is relatively consistent.

However in this particular case, the machine being an Acer Aspire, the drive would be OEM (usually the manufacturer of the computer).  Thus, an example of an OEM hard drive is a Barracuda 7200.11 300 GB hard drive that was originally purchased as part of a Dell PC, from Acer. That drive could be removed from the PC and later sold - again - as a separate product.  The drive label still says "Seagate" on it, but it is actually Acer's original property, and any warranty must be claimed through Acer.

But in this particular case, we're well past that point and its moot anyway, at four years old, and any extended warranty through Domestic & General and friends would handle it anyway since its a mechanical failure.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,447 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
     alternately you could get a SSD (solid state disk) which is faster, but more expensive for smaller capacities.
    Like someone else said, I don't really want to butt in here to something beyond my capabilities, but shouldn't you strongly recommend an SSD if a replacement disk is needed?

Also, what a fantastic example of how forums work, just random folks helping other random folks (despite MSE's desire to break it with an 'upgrade'! 😉)
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    J_B said:
     alternately you could get a SSD (solid state disk) which is faster, but more expensive for smaller capacities.
    Like someone else said, I don't really want to butt in here to something beyond my capabilities, but shouldn't you strongly recommend an SSD if a replacement disk is needed?

Also, what a fantastic example of how forums work, just random folks helping other random folks (despite MSE's desire to break it with an 'upgrade'! 😉)
    I could have, but that PC isn't too shabby anyway with 12GB ram and an i5 too, so I suggested both, but @Deleted_User was in need for a fix for her/his son, and didn't say much else about what it was needed for nor any budget, so I would wait for she/he to get back to us.

• TheRightOne
    TheRightOne Posts: 479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 2 June 2020 at 7:45AM
    Options
    Was trying to avoid getting involved....since I'm on holiday :) Especially as there are already capable people on here.
    OP can comfortably forget about having to buy a new PC. If they are prepared to do that, then they should instead simply invest in an M.2 2280 SATA SSD, and install Windows 10 to that, using a newly downloaded Windows 10 installation media.
    Though it is almost as easy and definitely cheaper to simply replace the 3TB SSD with a 2.5" SATA SSD, costing from £20

I wouldn't bother with an outdated KnowHow Recovery Drive for the Windows 10 installation. But if it can be used for a full recovery on a new SSD and there is nothing else available...
    Then to update the BIOS.
    Then they should have a much faster and reliable PC
    They can leave the old HDD where it is, unless they wish to replace it for more storage.

• TheRightOne
    TheRightOne Posts: 479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Now, on to the detail.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/6392?b=1&pn=DT.B1HEK.021
    Personally I would update the BIOS before doing anything else, but that would entail updating the BIOS outside Windows.
    But let us set that aside that for now.

Example of M.2 SSD: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Internal-Solid-State-MZ-N6E250/dp/B078WQC2GQ/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
    The machine is certified up to 256 GB, but up to 512GB might work: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073SBX6TY/ref=dp_cerb_1

Example of 2.5" SATA SSD: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-MX500-CT500MX500SSD1-NAND-Internal/dp/B0784SLQM6/ref=sr_1_3

You can obtain cheaper parts, I have just listed relatively high quality components to give you an idea of costs.

Next, that installation media on USB: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/550639/windows-10-media-creation-tool-to-correct-boot-issues

So that is what you need to ask a friend to do for you. You'll need to supply them with an empty USB Flash drive of at least 8 GB in capacity.

Again here: 

Creating the Windows 10 USB flash drive

1. Visit the Microsoft Media Creation Tool website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    2. Click Download Tool Now.
    3. Save the Application.
    4. Plug your USB Flash Drive into the PC where you saved the application.
    5. Run the Application.
    6. Accept the EULA
    7. Select Create installation media for another PC and click Next.
    8. Choose the correct settings for your version of Windows 10
    • Language (Country)
    • Windows 10
    • 64-bit (x64)
    Click Next.Select USB Flash Drive and click Next.Select the Flash Drive and click Next.

Allow the application to complete. You will be prompted when it is finished and has successfully created the bootable drive.

Once you have those two things in hand, you can proceed, with the help of the good people here.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback