New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Carry On Luggage and Size

65 replies 1.5K views
My weekender bag has a max 55cm x 42cm x 22cm dimension.
I know it varies from airline to airline (Virgin & Tui are the two I would be using and sometimes Ryanair)
How strictly enforced are dimensions/sizes on carry on luggage?
Thanks
"enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb

Replies

• mamanmaman Forumite
    21.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It varies but beware of Flybe. Their carry on bags are the smallest I've come across and, in my experience, it's strictly enforced. It's not just a rip off either as their overhead lockers are also the smallest I've come across. So, if any plans to use Flybe, I'd definitely check. 
  • leylandsunaddictleylandsunaddict Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Just by a bag that fits the rules of the airline you're flying with. That way you never have to worry about having to pay over the odds to check it in. Your bag is way oversize for Virgin Atlantic. I've got 4 different hand luggage bags and I just use the one that fits the rules of the airline. If flying outbound and inbound with two different airlines I use the one that fits the limits of the airline with the smallest size 
  • edited 17 February at 5:49PM
    theGrinchtheGrinch Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 February at 5:49PM
    Virgin carry on size is 23 x 36 x 56cm. Similar cubic volume, but slightly different dimensions. 

• edited 17 February at 7:28PM
    heatherw_01heatherw_01 Forumite, Board Guide
    5.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 February at 7:28PM
    Ryanair is the smallest and they are pretty strict although sometimes varies by airport. Flybe are also very strict.
    You are best making sure you have a bag that is ok for all airlines. Dimensions are on each site.
    I should add I have travelled using budget airlines many times and have been checked a lot.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    8.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some are strict all the time, some are very lax most of the time.  The lax ones can be strict at any time and there would be no comeback.  Complaining that they didn't enforce their rules last time would get you nowhere.  Just check the individual airline website to be sure your information is current.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    28.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Work on the principle that they all strictly enforce maximum size limits and you'll be fine.
    I can't see how anecdotal experiences will be of use.

• theGrinchtheGrinch Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pollycat said:
    Work on the principle that they all strictly enforce maximum size limits and you'll be fine.

I ask as no one I know who has travelled - 20 different journeys - with different destinations/airlines has ever had their carry on luggage weighed or measured. I guess much is done on a visual check for anything outlandish 
    Has anyone here had their carry on weighed or measured?
  • edited 17 February at 7:03PM
    lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 February at 7:03PM
    theGrinch said:
    Pollycat said:

I ask as no one I know who has travelled - 20 different journeys - with different destinations/airlines has ever had their carry on luggage weighed or measured. I guess much is done on a visual check for anything outlandish 
    Yes With Alitalia (we simply put stuff in our pockets instead)
    also Maldivian 

i’ve seen luggage being measured (with a box) on Flybe at London city regularly if you have a wheelie case and the first flight was half empty so it wasn’t related to space
    often it’s a visual check

i would expect Flybe, easyJet, Ryanair to be total bar stewards regarding this and charge you if over so I wouldn’t take any chances with them

not sure how anecdotal helps though.
    You could be charged punitively if not within

• PollycatPollycat Forumite
    28.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    theGrinch said:
    Pollycat said:

Yes.
    And witnessed it when mine wasn't.
    The problem is - if 99 people say their luggage wasn't checked, what are you going to do if you are the 100th who does have their luggage checked?
    As long as you are prepared to pay the price (literally) for oversized luggage that may have to be put in the hold, go for it.
  • NoodleDoodleManNoodleDoodleMan Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    In case (no pun intended) it has slipped under anybody's radar - TUI now allow 10kg for passengers' hand luggage on their flights.
    I suspect that has been influenced by Jet2's similar weight policy for carry on bagggage.
    In my experience of TUI going back several decades (to the Britannia days) they have never been strict on dimensions - however that is no guarantee ...................................