NST January 2020: A Turtle Quest

Options

Comments

• f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    CJRyder -I went rechargable just before last Xmas, Bought everyone a 4 pack and put it in their stocking, and it has been utter bliss. Ok, I have to spend out whenever a tv remote gives up the ghost battery wise (did not think about those - but come on, how often??) but for Xb0x controllers, fairy lights, bedside alarm clocks, it has been brilliant.

I must say the slutty foxes have not been heard yet, mind you the frost stayed on the shady pavements for 3 days this week, never melted until it rained. Might be too cold for them to get their foxy bits out. Still wearing their bobble hats and mufflers. :snow_laug:snow_grinWell, I like to think so...
    Money-wise - Oh dear! I have £5.67 left in the budget til Thursday night. Did nearly all the shopping yesterday, menus planned, all lunchbox tat sorted, will bake this afternoon - got scuppered by 79p Chocolate Swedish Glace in Mr Her0n. Usual price £2.50. But left the Alpr0 hazlenut and chocolate (2 for £1) behind. I am not a marine. I feel no guilt. Also Almond and rice milk at 39p a litre.
    Have a massive stock in now so Feb should be FrugalFeb. It does not have to be refridgerated until it is open, as many of these plant milks and fruit juices do not have to be, but the clever old supermarkets realised that people are happy to pay more for a chilled product than an ambient stored one, so they put them in the fridge. Read the labels!!

So apart from bread, which seems to evaporate - minimum of a loaf a day since they have been back at school - I think I need buy nothing else. Famous last words. Need petrol but will have to put it on the cc until Friday. But I am worrying about not having any spare 'in the budget' money.

Serves me right for throwing money at the remortgage to keep the numbers tidy and ending in 000.00. :(My name is F0xh0les and I have a problem with messy numbers. :(

:dance::dance:Happy Year of the Rat - it is a time of wealth and surplus and fertility (naughty noisy foxes?)_party__party_
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • MediumDino
    Options
    On NSD 11/16 now. I'm counting Wednesday as I only bought some Brownie badges which will be paid back to me from unit accounts.
    Today I'm grateful for a nice day, parkrun volunteers, managing to run after two weeks off with an ankle injury, a scanner that is working to get various bits of paperwork done, helpful Guide leaders with ideas for camp coming together
    NST January Turtles number 25
  • GoingToDoIt
    Options
    Send troops! Get your capes on I NEED RESCUING from spending!
    All good intentions went out of the window due to family illness and associated expenses. Hoping to get a couple of NSD’s in soon but I really need to assess the finances again, update my spend log and mitigate some losses....
    I am grateful for: recovered relative, NHS and the Turtles to bring me back on track!!!
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
    Jan 20 0%cc debt 7700/7700
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Naughty foxes - it didn't sound like they were having fun though :eek:.

Walked into town and bought coffee beans, a new double sheet, a shaver adaptor, deodorant for DH, cucumber and lettuce, a silicone fish slice and lunch using a voucher. I also got a lovely belt in a charity shop for £2.50 and a pair of Garmin Forerunner watches also in a charity shop, we thought there was just one in the box but it had 2, and all the associated bits with it, DH is happily setting them up now. The shop had reduced them from £30 to £15 and it was fine to take them back it they didn't work. I have wanted one of these for running for ages but wasn't prepared to fork out £150+. Apart from the last item all the other things had been budgeted for.

Burgers for tea today - just the one pesky meat one, then later a Netflix film, a glass of wine, a vegan magnum and bed.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Dolly - trust me, those foxes are having a great time! Your ch shop finds are fantastic!jealous of your garmin find...

Gonna - family illness + then the associated expenses cannot be planned for, as they are usually sudden and unexpected. So, take a deep breath, write down the spends and assess the damage. Do you have an emergency fund?

Medium Dino - good to hear your ankle is getting better.

Mothernerd - congrats on only having the 2 pages of lists. There may be more, but I recall you having pages and pages of things to do. Do look at what you have achieved over the last few months/years and feel smug :D. I love the idea of feeling confident like a 4 year old with a cape...
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DawnW wrote: »
    QUESTION: Food bank donation done for this month.
    I am on NSD 11 / 16 now, as today was a NSD :)
    UNLOVED/UNUSED: Sold a dog bed / cushion thing that I had bought for my dog but he wouldn't go near :o
    EXERCISE: It has been a nice, if chilly, day, so I made OH and the dog come for a long walk - would have gone on my own but thought the lazy devils would benefit as well :rotfl:
    SAVINGS: Usual savings paid in at the beginning of the month.
    THANKFULNESS: Today I am grateful for a nice walk, for being active and mobile enough to be able to walk several miles - many people aren't, and for the slightly lighter mornings and evenings and the spring bulbs coming up :)

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Today I am grateful for snowdrops flowering, for some tulips a friend bought for me, for the therapy of painting dd's model and seeing progress, for watching a 'documentary' with dd set in Bethnal Green in the 50s or 60s for her history stuff - I was born late 60s but a fair amount of what we watched was at least familiar to me, for dd being on the mend, for being able to do some simple exercises, for the restorative power of a lovely bath, for Ocean's 13 - love it when the cons con a con!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Deni_debt-free_dreamer
    Options
    Evening everyone, I've had a good day but a bit spendy. Met old work colleague for coffee and gave her some flowers as a belated birthday present. Then bought a pot in a charity shop for some mini daffs I bought in Mr M plus did food shop in various shops - Mr T, greengrocers. We have one of those shops where you can weigh out stuff & put in your own container so I bought some spices for 39p :) As I run down supplies of pasta, lentils, washing up liquid etc I will go to that shop to replenish.
    Having a chilled eve in front of the tv :)
    Gratitudes:
    Lovely chat with friend
    Catch up TV
    Quiet evening in to recharge batteries
    Deni
    x
    LBM - October 2018; finally debt free on 16 March 2021
    2023 Mortgage Free Wannabee #92023 Mortgage free in March 23 !
    Decluttering Campaign member 2023🏅🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    Decluttering Campaign Member 2024 🏅🏅
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Today was NSD12, only gone as far as the bin in the front garden.

Grateful for: getting things done, Star Trek: Picard, not spending any more flippin' money, having a list to keep me on track, nobody being iller than a lemon drink can cure for a couple of hours.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have hit my NSD target of 18/18 :j I think I'll have a spare £30 or so come the end of the month but I'll wait until my last DD goes out tomorrow before confirming. Sometimes money just disappears.... :o

Yesterday wasn't a NSD as got my hair cut and also ordered some epsom salts online, but today is. Yesterday I transferred all my February pay into relevant savings pots and sorted out my budget. I am feeling a bit more enthusiastic about money saving, I have a holiday to pay for and I want to buy a car this year (not MSE but if I save for it then why not). I find it much easier to be strict with myself if there's a target I'm saving for.

Today I was up early and have been horse riding, now just snuggled under a blanket with a cup of tea before making some breakfast (or lunch by the time I get round to it). Just got some tidying up to do later. My hip was playing up during the night and riding hasn't made it any better. I was meant to go to yoga later but might have to give it a miss, we'll see. Have been trying to get a doctor's appointment all week but it's impossible!
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £2,046.55 as of 04/24
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport