Options

Comments

• gwapenut
    gwapenut Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 January 2020 at 10:24AM
    Options
    Thanks @mtucker.

So, is there any way for us to know when the database is updated for our own meters? I presume it is not necessarily 28 days after switching, but instead each supplier updates the databse every 28 days, so the 28 would be a maximum?

EDIT: Going back to my post about smart meters:
    ""As per the records the meter details are not registered in the system which takes 28 days. once those details are registered we can book an smart meter"

So, perhaps I can check whether my meter details are "live" by tyre-kicking the internal switch, and seeing when it stops telling me I can't have a smart meter.
  • NINJA59
    NINJA59 Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Part of the issue with electricity is that it is regional not national and each distributor appears to have different processes.

I have just checked mine against uk power networks and british gas is showing.
  • ciber
    ciber Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NINJA59 wrote: »
    I have just checked mine against uk power networks and british gas is showing.

I've checked my local provider (Western Power) a few times over the past few weeks and they had my supplier as British Gas from a few days after Christmas, so it may not indicate that British Gas has finished the setup.
  • rmtucker
    rmtucker Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have just spoken to a young man at Yorkshire Energy.
    He told me that they take over both my gas and Electricity on the 5th Feb according to the database.:T
    Mind he also mentioned that it was the first Switch he had seen that was successful.

Hopefully we are seeing an end to this farce.:beer:
  • NINJA59
    Options
    Interesting.

I have been told they cannot attempt an electricity takeover until after the 30th January (i.e. submit for takeover) and then it will be two weeks or so.

I suspect there is some regional variance here.

As an aside British Gas have just called me and really got my back up:

Why are you leaving us so soon....well. Terrible CS and excessive rates.

In addition apparently we should have received communication about not switching until our account is live :rotfl. When I said I had not it was an apology all over, I then said about the 28 days nonsense and erm well she began digging a hole.

Got the manager on the phone and suggested he reviews the call, his response was about the 18000 customers again. I simply said a member of BG admitted they had handled it badly. Cue more sorry...sigh

Well done BG for more incompetent communication :rotfl:
  • Dave_save
    Dave_save Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 January 2020 at 5:12PM
    Options
    As above my gas is switching with no problems. But my electric is in limbo.

As an aside I did ask BG why my readings are still not showing online on my account. He told me it was because their system only updates itself once a month on the 28th. More bs from BG.
  • ABN
    ABN Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    @rmtucker post 301

Not quite as I have has it explained to me.

The database holds the date of the last change of supplier.
    During the switching procedure that database is automatically queried and if that query returns that it has been changed within the last 28days it AUTOMATICALLY rejects the request. Its all part of the industry procedures and there is no human intervention.
  • NINJA59
    Options
    @rmtucker based on your success with the electricity I decided to nudge YE, I did get warned it could be rejected and "technically" I should have to wait till the 30th, but she said there is no harm is resubbing it so let us see.
  • airmac
    airmac Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I found this number !0333 202 9532‬ really useful for contacting the British Gas Customer service complaint department, just use the word ‘complaint’ when asked reason for call.
    The lady I spoke too was very helpful, polite with what seemed a genuine wish to resolve my inability to switch my electric to YE. We ended the call with me agreeing to give YE another prod as there was no reason why the switch should not have gone through.

Contacting YE has been difficult as they are currently swamped with ex breeze customers wanting to switch ( and leave BG at the earliest opportunity!)...YE have not responded to any email from me and has taken a couple of long attempts to get through on the phone. First attempt lasted over 20 mins and just evaporated into the ether!

Finally managed to get through to YE yesterday and to cut a long and tedious conversation short have been told my electric can not be switched to them until 30th Jan after 14 day waiting period?

So my Gas will be with YE from 5 Feb & electric will with them (who knows!) sometime after the 30 Jan?

At the end of all this I shall lodge a complaint with Ofgem...what all Breeze ex customers have had to endure is simply not acceptable?
  • peterx
    peterx Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    So is everybody switching before there account is set up online or are they playing a waiting game.I personally do not know what to do.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback