Barclays Switch offer 1st July-30th November 2019

Options

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Aidanmc wrote: »
    Did you try switching via the app? That's what i did to avoid having to go to a branch.
    You can't switch until you actually have an account to switch into. Barclays appear to be a bit anal when it comes to processing applications for new accounts. They are the only bank who ever asked me to provide additional ID, in person, in Branch. That's after I had opened literally dozens of current and savings accounts at just about every other bank and building society, without any problem whatsoever.

When you do go into Branch as requested, there's every chance you come out with an account, as mustardtree6 can now attest, too. Whether it's worth the hassle is down to everyone to decide for themselves. For me, it was worth my while for £129, as that's a pretty good hourly rate :)
  • clivep
    clivep Posts: 580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    frago wrote: »
    Hi all, am I reading this correctly? As an existing Barclays customer already getting blue rewards - am I eligible for double/triple rewards for one year if I fully switch one of my other bank accounts to Barclays before 30 November? I have three bank accounts in total, and I'm only using two. I could switch the 3rd one to Barclays. This sounds too good to be true?!

Yes, existing customers can benefit. You will need to go to the branch to do the switch though unless you use the app.

Next month will be our last existing double rewards payout so I'll start switching at the beginning of October. With this in mind I've downloaded the app & set it up for my wife's a/c purely to do the switch. Once started I'll remove the app & set it up for my a/c, start a switch then remove it. I just wish they'd allow switching via online banking on the PC.
  • Snakey
    Snakey Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All - just trying to get my head around the timings and what order I need to do things in. I have a Barclays account already, with no direct debits. I also have a donor account elsewhere with no direct debits.

So I need to set up some direct debits from the Barclays account, switch the donor account, turn on Blue Rewards, pay in £800 a month. I'm struggling to be clear in my mind about what order I need to do this in, for maximum efficiency, and whether there are any further constraints re: calendar months.

Previous experience of sending in new direct debit forms to utility companies etc is that it doesn't always get processed correctly/on a timely basis. So ideally I would wait until they've definitely paid out once from the Barclays account, in order to avoid an "empty" month in which I pay for Blue Rewards but don't get anything for it because no DDs are paid out that month.

Also, though, I was reading back through the thread and there were some comments about how somebody should have waited until the 1st of the next month as they've now missed a month of reward... So that means I definitely need to wait until the month after the direct debits have paid out for the first time before I switch on Blue Rewards otherwise I "waste" a month of the twelve because the conditions weren't met in the previous month? So if I set the DDs up now and they pay out for the first time in October I should turn on BRs on 1 November and not before? Or does it have to be 31 October so that BR is running for the whole of the November calendar month? Or is it that I have to have done the switch first, before the clock starts running? Or am I being really stupid today (which is always possible) and it's something else altogether?

And of course I need to keep in mind the overall deadline of 30 November in all this. So although there's no cost of making absolutely sure the DDs are up and running before I start paying for BRs, I can't mess around for too long.

Ah, the joys of over-thinking. :)
  • youngretired
    Options
    Can anyone that opened a new account confirm if they received the Blue Rewards (normal and double) in the month following the month that they only paid £800 in and had 2 DD paid out (so no fee paid)?

I'm asking because my sister is thinking about re-opening another account (she switched previous account to Santander) and when Barclays first launched Blue Rewards they paid the first Blue Reward even though the previous month fee wasn't taken i.e. met the rest of theT&C's but obviously couldn't have paid the £4.
  • clivep
    Options
    Can anyone that opened a new account confirm if they received the Blue Rewards (normal and double) in the month following the month that they only paid £800 in and had 2 DD paid out (so no fee paid)?

I'm asking because my sister is thinking about re-opening another account (she switched previous account to Santander) and when Barclays first launched Blue Rewards they paid the first Blue Reward even though the previous month fee wasn't taken i.e. met the rest of theT&C's but obviously couldn't have paid the £4.

Yes, I can confirm that.

I opened my a/c 15th October last year. Blue Rewards turned on straight away. £800 put in & taken out. Switch completed 29th October with 2 x DDs. One of the DDs was Birmingham Midshires and I had scheduled £1 DDs to be taken on 30th and 31st October. Blue Reward fee taken 2nd November. £7 reward paid 2nd November. £7 double reward paid 15th November.

The rewards and fee both seem to be taken in arrears. If you are confident the DDs will pay out in the month then turn on Blue Rewards otherwise wait until the DDs have actually paid out before activating.
  • sheffieldeagle
    Options
    I'm trying to apply using the app but it's closing down when clicking on products icon.
    Anyone managed to resolve this problem?

Many thanks

Anyone had similar problems?

Many thanks
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm trying to apply using the app but it's closing down when clicking on products icon.
    Anyone managed to resolve this problem?
    I don't have this problem, using the latest version of the app on an iPad.

What platform are you using, and are you on the latest version of the app? Did you try applying through a browser instead?
  • baguettes
    Options
    I switched from RBS to Barclays yesterday, my process was:

1. open Barclays current account
    2. sign up for Barclays mobile banking
    3. switch from RBS to Barclays
    4. activate blue rewards

Should I have activated blue rewards before the switch? Basically, will I just get standard monthly rewards from it rather than double rewards because of my above process?
  • clivep
    Options
    baguettes wrote: »
    I switched from RBS to Barclays yesterday, my process was:

1. open Barclays current account
    2. sign up for Barclays mobile banking
    3. switch from RBS to Barclays
    4. activate blue rewards

Should I have activated blue rewards before the switch? Basically, will I just get standard monthly rewards from it rather than double rewards because of my above process?

Should all be OK, but...

You'll be paying the Blue Rewards fee of £4 in early October. Do you have 2 x DDs set up that will pay out of your Barclays a/c before the end of this month? If so then you'll get double rewards paid in October. If not then you'll not be paid rewards until November and should de-activate Blue Rewards now then re-activate them in mid October.
  • baguettes
    Options
    Fingers crossed.

Yes, mine all come out quite late in the month to line up with my payday so should be alright on that front.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure