Barclays Switch offer 1st July-30th November 2019

Options

Comments

• phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No need to visit branch with ID. That only applies if you're new to Barclays and opening a current account into which to switch. This doesn't apply to ypu or me. :T

Are you sure? I opened the account online and when I phoned up afterwards to see if I could get an overdraft, they told me I would have had to go into a branch with ID to do that. They told me I would either do an account switch or take months worth of pay slips.

I didn't specifically ask if doing an account switch required me to go to the branch, but I wouldn't be surprised.

It's slightly better than Virgin, they won't even let you open a current account without a visit to a branch.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    phillw wrote: »
    Are you sure?
    I can't confirm Hattie's assertion. I was not new to Barclays, and they still required me to visit a Branch to process my current account application. The only bank that ever asked me that. No sweat, though.
    phillw wrote: »
    I didn't specifically ask if doing an account switch required me to go to the branch, but I wouldn't be surprised.
    Once my current account application had been approved by the Branch, I could do the switch through the app. Switch and Barclays Blue was never mentioned whilst I was in Branch.
  • clivep
    clivep Posts: 580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    clivep wrote: »
    Next month will be our last existing double rewards payout so I'll start switching at the beginning of October. With this in mind I've downloaded the app & set it up for my wife's a/c purely to do the switch. Once started I'll remove the app & set it up for my a/c, start a switch then remove it. I just wish they'd allow switching via online banking on the PC.

It wasn't quite that straightforward...

Managed to start the switch from Santander for my wife OK.

Then removed the app & downloaded it again. Got a fair way into setting up for my a/c when I got a "RP002" error with a message to ring them. As I suspected, my phone was still linked to my wife's a/c at their end and they needed to clear this out before setting up my a/c could be continued.

This was all sorted but I had been on hold for about 10 minutes before getting through to someone in the call centre and the total call time was about 30 minutes. Not the easiest to follow either as I had to key in information given in the call by voice and text but the Barclays app closed every time I put the phone near my ear or read a text. It all worked in the end and Shreya from the call centre (presumably in India) was very helpful.

I was then able to start the switch into my Barclays a/c.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    frago wrote: »
    Quick question, I believe I know the answer but just want to make sure: The Barclays offer is until 30 November, right? Does that mean the switch has to be initiated OR completed by 30 Nov?

I was going to switch my Nationwide FlexDirect (5% rate now gone) to Barclays, however, I saw that Lloyds has a £125 switch incentive offered for switches until 5 November, so I thought... why not open the Lloyds account, switch FlexDirect to Lloyds, get the incentive (which apparently you get on the day the switch is completed), then switch the Lloyds account to my Barclays account instead.

I expect the definitive ruling can be found on the website Tc&Cs, but in the past it's always been the case that the switch only needs to be initiated before the deadline.

Instead of leaving things so fine, why not quickly open an additional "sacrificial" current account (many banks now let you do this online or through their app), and switch that?
    : )
  • Bbeanie
    Options
    I have just stumbled across the Blue Rewards offer for double and triple points. I am already a Barclays customer and am signed up to Blue Rewards. It is very confusing [as the previous comments attest too], but it seems that if I upgrade my account to a premier one, I could qualify for triple points? I have not bothered with a premium account before as I could not see the benefits. My problem is that I have just left my job and although I should receive a couple more pay slips, I will not then have a salary going into the account. It says that £800 has to go into the account, without specifically specifying a salary and I wondered if I would be able to transfer this amount from another outside bank account? What do other posters think please?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Bbeanie wrote: »
    I have just stumbled across the Blue Rewards offer for double and triple points. I am already a Barclays customer and am signed up to Blue Rewards. It is very confusing [as the previous comments attest too], but it seems that if I upgrade my account to a premier one, I could qualify for triple points? I have not bothered with a premium account before as I could not see the benefits. My problem is that I have just left my job and although I should receive a couple more pay slips, I will not then have a salary going into the account. It says that £800 has to go into the account, without specifically specifying a salary and I wondered if I would be able to transfer this amount from another outside bank account? What do other posters think please?

I transfer mine from a different account once a month with no problems at all as long as £800 goes in.
  • Bbeanie
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. Yes, I do qualify frago, but I never saw any benefits to upgrading before.

Another thing I am wondering about, is whether there might be a problem transferring between accounts with the same name?

y
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Bbeanie wrote: »
    Thank you for your replies. Yes, I do qualify frago, but I never saw any benefits to upgrading before.

Another thing I am wondering about, is whether there might be a problem transferring between accounts with the same name?

If you upgrade to Premier, make sure Blue Rewards is added to the premier account, then initiate a full switch, you should get the triple rewards. What would happen if you did the account switch, THEN upgraded to Premier? I honestly don't know, I expect they could work around that, but it's probably best to avoid the chance of the system going wrong.

"Transferring between accounts with the same name" - do you mean in terms of funding the £800 monthly pay in? No, that doesn't matter. The £800 can be from any external source. IIRC if the source is another Barclays account it can be a Standing Order but not a standard Faster Payment, but a different bank account also in your name? Fine and dandy.
    : )
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Has anyone received their second payment for October yet ?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,103 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mummyof5 wrote: »
    Has anyone received their second payment for October yet ?

Mine arrived today - apparently the cycle for the promotional payments are 31 days from the previous payment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure