Symbio Energy feedback

Options

Comments

• HonestJohn
    HonestJohn Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Swipe said:
    Sounds like they are going bust then. What's the likelihood of me making it to 12th November when my 49 day period kicks in?
    Hi Swipe. It does look very likely that they will go bust.
    I am already in my switch window and have started a switch that will take 17 days to complete.
    All switches take at least 14 days because that is the cool-off period (no supplier is going to complete a switch before that, because you can always cancel it).
    So, if you start a switch now, the earliest that it would complete is 14th November, and probably a few days after that.
    The key date for exit fees is when the switch completes, not when you initiate it, so you would be safe to switch now, and avoid any SOLR pain.

They will, more than likely, add the exit fee anyway to your final bill and then you will have the trouble of trying to get it back. That's where I am now.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
  • Streaky_Bacon
    Streaky_Bacon Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 1 November 2020 at 2:01AM
    Options
    HonestJohn said: They will, more than likely, add the exit fee anyway to your final bill and then you will have the trouble of trying to get it back. That's where I am now.
    Well, as you are clearly aware, they aren't entitled to do that, but it's interesting to know that they are trying.
    Were you in the switching window when you started the switch, or did the window only open before the switch completed?
    Have they provided any justification, or did they just add it on?
    How are you approaching getting it back? A refund under the Direct Debit Guarantee would seem the fastest.
    I'll be interested to see if they try that with me.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,613 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just a word of advice to all those who are still Symbio customers - download and save your latest bills and statements as it will be too late if they turn up their toes and close the website.

It makes it a lot easier to sort out the mess if you've kept your own copies
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    Options
    Just a word of advice to all those who are still Symbio customers - download and save your latest bills and statements as it will be too late if they turn up their toes and close the website.

That would be good advice if the bills were available on the website to download, but they're not.

• HonestJohn
    Options
    Talldave said:

That would be good advice if the bills were available on the website to download, but they're not.

Luckily they email bills to you.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
  • HonestJohn
    Options
    HonestJohn said: They will, more than likely, add the exit fee anyway to your final bill and then you will have the trouble of trying to get it back. That's where I am now.
    Well, as you are clearly aware, they aren't entitled to do that, but it's interesting to know that they are trying.
    Were you in the switching window when you started the switch, or did the window only open before the switch completed?
    Have they provided any justification, or did they just add it on?
    How are you approaching getting it back? A refund under the Direct Debit Guarantee would seem the fastest.
    I'll be interested to see if they try that with me.
    Your first and last bill are for parts of months. On your last (13th) bill they upgrade your tariff. If that has an exit charge, it is applied. I don't think the Direct Debit guarantee applies if you are disputing an incorrect bill. 
  • Streaky_Bacon
    Options
    Your first and last bill are for parts of months. On your last (13th) bill they upgrade your tariff. If that has an exit charge, it is applied. I don't think the Direct Debit guarantee applies if you are disputing an incorrect bill. 
    Having had a closer look at the direct debit guarantee, it looks like you are right, because it can't be used just because you disagree with the amount.
    Seems a pretty fundamental flaw, it basically guarantees that you will only have to pay whatever amount the supplier dreams up (just as long as they notify you of it).
    Hardly gives me confidence in the direct debit scheme.
    My approach to this, will be to wait until the final bill is issued, and then if they add the exit fee, I will cancel the DD and pay any legitimate balance by bank transfer.
    If they do try to reinstate the DD and take any further funds, I will then be covered by the DD guarantee.
    In your case, if they have already taken the exit fee, it will be a bit more messy
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,613 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Talldave said:

You can download all your meter readings and a statement but it was up to you to download the bill when it was e-mailed - I've got all my emails as well as copies of the PDF bills carefully preserved in a separate folder on my computer and on a back-up USB stick.
    IMO you cannot trust it all to luck or providence. You can hope for the best but it's good practice to be prepared for the worst
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    Options
    Talldave said:

You can download all your meter readings and a statement but it was up to you to download the bill when it was e-mailed - I've got all my emails as well as copies of the PDF bills carefully preserved in a separate folder on my computer and on a back-up USB stick.
    IMO you cannot trust it all to luck or providence. You can hope for the best but it's good practice to be prepared for the worst

I totally agree - I download the bills on receipt.  I was simply pointing out that Symbio bills aren't available for download from their website because they've never been on there in the first place, so they won't be lost if they go t1ts up.  You can view a basic monthly summary but that doesn't reveal any of Symbio's surreal mathematical wizardry in getting to the figures in the first place.
  • HonestJohn
    edited 1 November 2020 at 7:25PM
    Options
    Having had a closer look at the direct debit guarantee, it looks like you are right, because it can't be used just because you disagree with the amount.
    Seems a pretty fundamental flaw, it basically guarantees that you will only have to pay whatever amount the supplier dreams up (just as long as they notify you of it).
    Hardly gives me confidence in the direct debit scheme.
    My approach to this, will be to wait until the final bill is issued, and then if they add the exit fee, I will cancel the DD and pay any legitimate balance by bank transfer.
    If they do try to reinstate the DD and take any further funds, I will then be covered by the DD guarantee.
    In your case, if they have already taken the exit fee, it will be a bit more messy
    Your strategy seems sound. I have been promised a refund in 12-14 working days. I will also be due an automatic compensation payment of £30.
    'Credit refunds. You can get £30 from your old supplier if it fails to pay back any money it owes you within 10 working days of sending a final bill.' 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback