🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Symbio Energy feedback

Options

Comments

• Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've just had my "cash grab" bill.  Complaint filed as they're not sticking to the agreed Variable Direct Debit payment schedule offered - which cynical old me conveniently screen-grabbed!

They've estimated 700kWh for November (on an annual EAC of 4655kWh).  The reality will be around 400kWh and the payment schedule they offered on sign-up would have been for about 490kWh.
  • canary2211
    Options
    I enjoy their great prices - but customer service is a bit iffy.  I'm presently trying to change my EAC - used for each monthly billing and DD.  We used to have an electric Aga (OK I know I know) which simply drank electricity - our annual actual usage was 13000kwH !!!  So we removed it and installed a new standard modern oven and hob - and guess what - - consumption reduced from 13,000 pa to 4000 pa.  But Symbio continue to bill me at 13000 kwh.    4 months on and 4 months of actual usage at below 4000 pa and they are refusing to amend EAC.  It may be a stupid OFGEM regulatory thing.  Anyway, now dealing with level 2 complaints at Symbio. 
  • UnclaimedEnergy
    Options
    After 3 months of consistent usage which would reflect a 4,000kWh EAC I would expect most suppliers would change the DD to make up for it.

Can't see it being an Ofgem thing, more like Symbio just trying to cash grab where they can.
  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Same story here.  After a long running complaint was finally resolved, they behaved themselves from July to October.  Now we're back to their old tricks with a grossly over inflated November bill.  I've given them advance warning that I'll be cancelling the DD
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 November 2020 at 4:39PM
    Options
    Just had my bill for November.  I used 700kWh last November with them, they think that I will use 1000kWh this November!

Certainly a cash grab going on.  Still, if it keeps them in business and I can carry on paying 10.9p/unit, then I'm not complaining.

It all seems to balance out at the end of the year.

• razord
    razord Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 November 2020 at 4:40PM
    Options
    Just had notification that my direct debit for November will be over double any other month - up to £75... have to wait a couple of days for the bill to see what's actually going on, but can see they're estimating I'm going to use 614kw in November (when I use about 300 a month...)
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You guys must be bonkers to still be on variable DD with these jokers. I'm just glad I will owe them or the SOLR some money at the end due to them not taking my fixed DD for a couple of months due to two negative bills caused by their overzealous estimates. Just had my bill and the wild estimates have started again which thankfully doesn't affect people on a fixed DD.
  • Snudz
    Snudz Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Looks to me to be a race to collect enough from over inflated bills to scrape together the £500k they owe Ofgem before the rug gets pulled.   Based on last year I'll predict increasing over-estimates until January and then decreasing over-estimates until June whereby they'll have repaid their "interest free" loan to the customer base.   Then a few months grace until the process restarts.   Glad I left.
  • razord
    razord Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Main issue is I have no option but to pay their direct debit. The contract terms say that if I cancel the direct debit, they can move to me to another tariff (which could be stupidly expensive) - and if I don't reinstate they'll charge me £10. (I note for new customers they say they'll now charge £20 immediately if you cancel your direct debit)

Not sure I have any option but to pay them the £75 for this month, switch away today and hope for a prompt final bill and refund....
  • Streaky_Bacon
    Streaky_Bacon Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 3 November 2020 at 5:40PM
    Options
    razord said:
    Main issue is I have no option but to pay their direct debit. The contract terms say that if I cancel the direct debit, they can move to me to another tariff (which could be stupidly expensive) - and if I don't reinstate they'll charge me £10. (I note for new customers they say they'll now charge £20 immediately if you cancel your direct debit)
    You are allowed, under their terms, to cancel your DD, if they do not resolve a billing dispute within 72 hours, and do not have to reinstate it until the dispute is resolved. Please take a look below, which I posted in this thread yesterday.
    *********************************************************************************************

Those concerned about artificially high estimates being a cash grab, especially with the looming threat of administration, may wish to have a look at this section of Symbio's terms.
    9.1 If you agree to pay by Direct Debit, you have the right at any time to cancel the mandate, if there is any dispute about your bill. This is subject to you providing us 72 hours’ notice prior to cancelling and Symbio Energy Limited not having resolved your billing query. Should your billing query be resolved, and you continuously failed to re-instate the DD within 30 days, you will be automatically moved to our higher non-Direct Debit tariff.
    It may be wise to write to them now, give them a current read, demand that the estimates are reviewed and a new bill issued and state that, if it is not done within 72 hours, you will cancel the DD, until it is sorted, as expressly permitted in their own T&Cs.
    https://www.symbioenergy.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport