PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 - A Clutter Free Life

Options

Comments

• savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 August 2019 at 7:43PM
    Options
    CEW wrote: »
    We do seem to be in a very similar situation although I do go out to work. It's just me and the 5 dogs and they haven't caught the decluttering bug yet :rotfl: I also have a lot of ex OH's carp to get rid of. He was a bit of a hoarder. I have got rid of lots so far but still a lot more to go.
    Awww I only have 3....although 7 all weekend and 10 on Monday! They all keep disrupting me too!

Arrggg yesss, mine was a hoarder too, then turned that on me and blamed my stuff as the reason he couldn't finish the electrics!! Yet who is stuck with a ton of his carp :(:( I used to watch him shove things into gaps that I had cleared FGS, he was like a squirrel, then promised it was just for now. I'm trying to chip away at it twice a week and sneak it in the tip so I don't get stung for trade rates!!

Not much done the last 2 days due to sooo many dogs here and all the work - but have evicted 3 of son's coats, and am donating 3 leads and 2 collars to a charity that needs them in India. If anyone else is interested in donating the same PM me and I will give you the address ;)
    1063/2019

Edit: Ha ha just binned 4 items from the kitchen too! 1067/2019
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Catcrazy
    Catcrazy Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    33. Old garden wooden table , broken, to tip.
    34. Broken watering can - recycle at tip.
    35.-39.4 bags of rubbish to tip.
    40. Pair of damaged shoes to bin .
    41 Pair pyjamas charity collection at recycle plan.
    42.Broken clothes airer recycle.
    43-54.Book in charity bag.
    Keep going everyone 😀
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Only one item today - a broken plastic pill container to recycling

25 old emails deleted
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Had a thought last night, when (if) I sell something on EB.. maybe I could use a cut down milk bottle to keep safe in the mail instead of buying bubble wrap etc. Small items only of course but an idea.
  • bit_by_bit
    bit_by_bit Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thankyou for all the support Mrs SD. The first day of the Fairy Festival was cancelled and we went to Bournmouth to see the sea, paddle and eat fish and chips. Sunday was glorious and I got to meet up with all my family, the first time since my DS died in March.
    whmf00001 wrote: »
    Had a thought last night, when (if) I sell something on EB.. maybe I could use a cut down milk bottle to keep safe in the mail instead of buying bubble wrap etc. Small items only of course but an idea.

That is such a good idea whm00001. Hadn't thought of that.

Well today is a big day in the bit by bit household. The shed is going along with two ikea untit complete with plastic box/draws and another shelf unit. :T:T:T

Along with it go all the slabs and sand and I will have a lovely patch of garden to use. I am going to do something interesting with it but don't know what yet.:T:T:T

After sorting out stuff and putting it in the DSs box room i came home after the weekend to find it all just chucked into the Roomn of Doom again. See what I am up against?

Anyway, happily it will only be a few nights while the MiL visits and uses the spare bed. Then I can get back to getting on with it.

Right. Off to help with the shed disposal.

XXX
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, Big C survivor. Officially retired at 55 2021 [/b][/b].Mortgage free April 2021Challenges 2024: Decluttering Campaign 32/100 bags plus 0 large items. Make £2024 in 2024#8 £0/£2024 Using my craft stash 0/52 Reading books 0/52 Donations for the CS/washing done from others (in and outs) in 2024 x 10 bags and 0 large items.
  • Uncluttered_unicorn
    Options

273 to 274 2 wee strings of lights (cs)

275 Broken fitbit
    276 Decorative jar (donated to a candle maker)
    277/278 Foundation (uu)
    279 Lip balm (uu)
    280 Replaced watch - threw away old watch and all packaging
    281 Wee plastic beaker (this was provided with an electric iron to fill the water reservoir - my narrow spouted kettle does the job just as well )
    282 Broken pen
    283/284 2 bag charms (free gifts with an online order - not requested and they didn't tell us they were being sent otherwise would have declined the offer), cs
    285/286 2 decorative jars (donated to candle maker)
    287 cardboard box and glass pens (recycling and bin)
    288 Car air freshener
    289 Cleared out car - random rubbish and recycling
    290 Set of bed linen to animal rescue centre
    291 Holey sock (just 1 - I buy lots the same so only have to throw one away at a time instead of wasting a pair unnecessarily :D )
    292/293 2 presents delivered
    294 Old clothespegs
    295 Pair of workboots
    296/ 306 11 pieces of china to cs
    307/308 2 bowls to DHs work
    309/314 More pieces of china to community group, perhaps for a mosaic
    315 School shoes (bin)
    316 Plastic cocktail shaker, cs
    317/ 319 Plastic juice bottles, used for community watering tasks
    320/321 2 wee glass bottles (upcycling)
    322/327 Counting a few points for e-mail and digital tidying. Had about 400 e-mails which hadn't even been opened, goodness knows how many which had been opened but not cleared out or placed in appropriate folders if required to be kept. I counted 1 point per half-hour.
    328/331 Photos. 2cms of photos plus 1 hr x 2 people to sort and decide.
    332/339 8 pieces of old school uniform to ragbags
    340 Bag strap, cs
    341 General ppw, envelopes, leaflets and receipts etc from holiday.
    342/344 3 books to Morrisons (our local shop has a charity table, not sure if that's a local initiative or more widespread, but another useful outlet for unwanted books)
    345 Bottle of face wash.
    346/348 Cleared a wee kitchen cupboard, released a tin and a glass jar to cs, and threw away some ood stuff.

Balls of yarn uu - 9

Phew - up to date at last. Don't think I'll reach 2019 this year but at least I can still see progress.

Some of you may remember my community has entered the Keep Scotland Beautiful challenge, my contribution has been clearing litter and I closed my collection at 59 carrierbags-worth of litter plus 6 glass bottles and a pillow. Pleased with that for the year, and massive efforts from many other people in our area means we are quietly confident of a good result after judging.

Good luck to everyone and welcome to new posters, I haven't read up to date as we have some tech issues here but will catch up with your stories soon. Sad to see that some of you have encountered serious challenges in your lives - (((hugs))) and strengthening thoughts on their way to you.
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello all
    Still haven't made it into the wardrobe :o. Never mind I have earmarked that task for Wednesday as the weather forecast is for rain, rain...... and rain, so I will have no excuse such as getting out in the garden :rotfl:. It's not as if the clutter is going anywhere, so at present it's out of sight but not out of mind, unless I can find a decluttering fairy that works Tuesdays :D.
    I have binned 2 diner knives and a baking pan, none of which are fit for purpose. Also out for collection tomorrow are the rubbish bin and recycling bags and boxes. I also managed to squeeze some shed rubbish in the bin :j. Oh! and my gardening fork that DH broke in two last weekend getting a stubborn shrub root out :mad:. Heavy handed and footed that one !
    Keep up the good work everyone and thanks to all for the encouragement to keep me decluttering !!! :A
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    51 old emails deleted, 1 plastic pot recycled and 1 cardboard box recycled.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Up a bit later today - 9:30 a.m. - so 1st cuppa & played AB2 & cleared down a bit more of my planner. Heavy rain & heavier rain interspersed with light drizzle :( I started on the wall unit drawers again - there are 8 of them - four have been sorted :T Gradually putting things in proper spaces - all birthday cards, blank cards, writing paper, envelopes etc are in the same place. DH continued with his project & DSis mainly stayed in her room again. Sorting out my large foot stool - yet again :rotfl:

2672 - 2673 Four drinks cans, 1” paperwork - Recycled
    2674 - 2677 One inch of shredding, polo shirt (dirty beyond cleaning :o), sellotape inner, coffee tin full of kitchen detritus - Binned
    2678 - 2681 Two packets of airmail envelopes, airmail writing pad, box of magnetic label carriers - CS

Now straight into cheerleading, as quite a few of you are doing rather well :)

Well Done :- short_bird; savvy - if I find anything that is not mine in a cleared space I mention it once & if not sorted it is disposed of appropriately :rotfl:; Catcrazy; oceanspirit; whmf00001 seems an eminently sensible idea :T; bit by bit - yippee on so much large stuff going :j Could you declutter the rest of the family :rotfl: - joking aside perhaps use what I wrote to savvy ;) Uncluttered_unicorn - impressive decluttering numbers & great work on The Keep Scotland Beautiful campaign - fingers crossed 🤞 your village receives an award 🥇; nannywindow - good work on getting items OUT of the house - :T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T

Welcome FlyingDonkeys - looking forward to reading about your decluttering successes :D

See you all tomorrow my decluttering buddies :T

MrsSD
    2681/4038
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £166.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £50.00; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,408 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Only decluttering done today was the eating up of one apple and blackberry crumble.
    Plus recycling unwanted post.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills