PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 - A Clutter Free Life

Options

Comments

• CEW
    CEW Posts: 407 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Washing machine was taken from the drive less than 24 hours after it was put out :j

Counted up the clothes that are either being donated or sent for textile recycling - 16 items so far. I have another few items that are in the to be considered pile. Is it sad that I have a jumper that is probably 35 years old that I love and don't want to get rid of. I still wear it and actually had a shop assistant comment on what a lovely top I was wearing a couple of months ago. She was amazed when I told her how old it was. It obviously dates back to when Mr M & Mr S made quality clothes :rotfl:

A few more packaging items added to the recycling bin just before they emptied it this morning. The only other items today are a few books that are going to be sold to Webuybooks for a few £'s. I will count those when I actually send them off which hopefully will be this week or next.

Happy decluttering everyone
    That money talks I don't deny, I heard it once, it said "Goodbye"
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Last night I had a long lazy bath & tried to continue reading Far From The Madding Crowd - managed to reach page 142 but was finding it such heavy going that I jumped to the last 20 pages & it is now in the CS bag. Not a fan of Thomas Hardy’s writing style but at least I tried :rotfl:
    Quite nice getting into the habit of getting up at a reasonable time ;) Up at 8:30 today - a lovely sunny day but temperatures are noticeably cooler. Time to myself when DH & DSis are still asleep. Cuppa & AB2 then read a freebie newspaper. DH got up in time to see me off - meeting an ex work colleague(Male :p) for drinks. Spent a happy 1.5 hours chatting up a storm.
    Banked a cheque & then went to the butchers & spent almost £60 - lots of really nice meat + sausages & burgers. Got home to find DSis vacuuming & DH in the garage. No decluttering project today but will resume tomorrow. Dinner was roast beef, roast potatoes, Yorkshire puds, broccoli florets & carrots. Delicious.

2682 - 2696 Six drinks cans, 2 newspapers, 4 lots of cardboard packaging, cardboard box, empty medicine bottle, uu bath creme bottle - Recycled
    2697 - 2699 Small bag of kitchen detritus, polystyrene tray, bag of rubbish from DH - Binned
    2700 - Paperback - CS

Cheerleading starts here : -

Gem-gem you forgot to invite me round :rotfl:

Well Done CEW - plenty of decluttering :T Shame about the tooth - Hopefully not painful 😖
    Not sad at all - my confession is that I have a jumper that is 41 years old :rotfl: but I can only wear it indoors :rotfl:

Well Done Catcrazy :T did DH do it on purpose :rotfl:

Well Done: oceanspirit; nannywindow; Wednesday 2000 - exploding bean bag :eek:;

Now now parsniphead - keeping up with the day to day decluttering is still decluttering. Re motivation to start a decluttering project - don’t worry about it being on holiday :rotfl: One day soon, you will just start something & bingo a decluttering project completed ;)

Doing well bit by bit :T

Welcome aboard the Decluttering Bandwagon TC77 - Nice to see a new face :D An excellent start to your campaign to declutter. Keep up the good work :T

Well Done TamsinC :T speeding along to 2019 items :T. At the rate you are going you will reach your target within the next few days ;)

See you all tomorrow my decluttering buddies :T

MrsSD
    2700/4038
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 August 2019 at 7:32AM
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Do you have 'space' for a latecomer? :hello:

I have been trying to reverse seven years of neglect of my flat (repairs/ maintenance/ decluttering/ cleaning) linked to mental health, low income and, increasingly, physical health issues. :o

No children, but a little cat who now needs more home comforts (osteoarthritis).

And some 'displaced citizens' to accomodate: kettle, iron and pressure cooker in the living room, handheld vacuum on the hob, stepladder in front of the sink. :p

:hello: Greetings dear declutterbugs: seasoned professionals and enthusiastic newcomers! How is 2019 treating you?

I have not read, posted, lurked or made any net progress towards a clutter-free life in months. Much more shuffling around than shipping out :( Some small victories to report though ....

Decluttering:
    Twelve weeks ago: Vino habit of organ-pickling proportions, along with several inches from my waist. :beer:

Recluttering:
    Shiny new support worker :j who is tackling three of my most pressing issues (electrician/ dentist/ broken appliances).

Lots of pennies and pounds not invested in organ-pickling. :D

Several boxes of junk from the 'Hall of Shame' shifted into the 'Room of Doom' to accommodate furniture leaving and arriving. Displaced citizens from various cupboards all over the kitchen worktops. :(

Decluttering:
    Last few weeks: Panel heater from the living area and electric hob from the back of the 'Tardis of Doom' (capacious cupboard) recycled via the Council. :T

Two cumbersome storage units from the living area and two piles of cookbooks to charity shops. :T

The saved pennies and pounds on service charges for my leasehold flat (whole year paid in full :D).

Recluttering: A revolving door of online orders. :o

One shiny new sideboard, two failed (returned) storage units, one sideboard pending ....

Twice as many useless decorative bits - plastic plants/ ceramic planters/ lamps/ vases - as there is space for.

Despite the extra clutter and chaos and displaced citizens, I wish I had got rid of the bulky storage units months ago. The living area looks so different, so much better than I remember! :grinheart

Deep cleaning: Aiming to vanquish six months of diesel bus filth from the window reveals (in and out) before the new sideboard is delivered.

Hoping the next appointment with my new support worker and/ or catching up with this thread will motivate the next phase of decluttering!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a confession to make. Today I may be decluttering the house a bit because DS wants a hamster. I think he has been so good getting rid of stuff and donating I think he deserves a great.

To do this though I do have to declutter the little table in the sitting room so that's something. I'm also going to move the huge pile of clutter which has built up in the corner of the sitting room so I can vacuum properly.

I'm going to vacuum through downstairs this morning and sort the kitchen before the big hamster hunt.

My front/sewing room is still in chaos. Fingers crossed I can spend time in there this afternoon and get it a bit clearer.

I also need to find a home for the stupidly huge hedge cutter.

Anyway have a fab day everyone. Enjoy the rain.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    parsniphead, a hamster for DS sounds great - he has been so generous in his decluttering.

20 emails deleted.

Lots going on in RL so physical decluttering has taken a back seat. Plan to get back onto it at the weekend - am definitely not reaching my daily targets so need a big haul to catch up.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well have given up selling my almost new bras and they are now in the car to go to a "bra bank". Also saw an add locally asking for household items for some-one moving into a flat with nothing at all so I have decided, regretfully, to give away my Clunk Click sofa bed. Was going to try to sell for around £100 but, well, for goodness sake, if I cannot sell a new bra for £3 I do not think I would have much luck and I think this is a genuine person.
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Options
    Well it's Wednesday and the promised bottom of the wardrobe declutter. I hope it doesn't turn out to be like Narnia :eek:. The weather is foul at present so no garden distraction. I will post back later with my update, win :j or fail :(.

nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    Haven't had chance to post. Had a new fridge fridge/freezer a couple of days ago.

The shame of it the amount of dust bunnies, pens and hair bands under it I'm counting as 30-I actually gave up counting at 23 ( there was definitely more than 30 but as I haven't an accurate figure will be happy to with 30) Now I know why we can never find a pen in the house!
    Foods decluttered and recycled (which I really hate) = 6

So altogether current total 305+ 36=341
    *342-343 fridge magnets x2 thrown
    *344 small notebook used-recycling

135 neutral items shipped out (there will be alot to ship out next month)
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Options
    I made it out of the wardrobe and it's a win :j
    In no particular order :-
    1 pair woolen gloves - tatty
    1 odd glove :cool:
    1 broken coat hanger
    1 pair long socks - no elastic in top
    1 works tabbard from when I taught littlies - I retired in 2003 :eek:
    1 pair shoes - tatty
    1 pair jeans - too small
    1 pair sports leggings
    1 handbag - broken handle
    1 gold clutch bag - hopefully will donate to DGD for play
    2 cardboard lids from jigsaws - 2ft by 4ft. No idea why they were kept except they had pretty pictures on them :huh:
    1 hoodie - broken zip and used for DIY
    2 items bought ready for C.....mas - now in a bag and awaiting other stuff :D.
    Phew ! and I thought there would be nothing to bin/ recycle.

Enjoy your decuttering
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Got up slightly later this morning 9:45 - own fault really as I fell asleep on the sofa sitting up & only went to bed at 6:00 a.m. :eek: Cuppa & AB2 whilst bemoaning the fact that it is a wet day & looks set to stay wet all day :( Have had a little flurry of activity - sorted the garage fridge, emptied & washed DH’s recycling basket & put a full load of washing on - will have to use the td - so not very MSE but it will be nice to have an empty laundry basket :p Post has just been delivered & is sorted :T

2701 - 2707 Two magazines, 2 booklets, basket of DH’s paperwork, 2 lots of cardboard packaging - Recycled
    2708 - 2715 Six lots of plastic packaging, emptied the shredding bin, another manky polo shirt - Binned

Cheerleading starts here : -

Welcome back Fire Fox - unfortunately Real Life has a habit of getting in the way of decluttering projects :( First let me disabuse you of the idea that you have not been decluttering. It sounds like you have been decluttering ‘stress’ & negative feelings & taking care of your emotional wellbeing :T Absolutely marvellous result on the lost inches from the waistline due to the vino decluttering - you are being awarded a Gold Star ⭐️ for what was possibly a major challenge ;)
    Congrats on the new support worker :)
    Excellent work on decluttering large items of furniture & bringing in more suitable items - you have been extremely busy & you must NOT sell yourself short. You are tackling clutter on all fronts - personal, financial, health & actual clutter & you should be extremely proud of yourself :T

What a lovely treat for your DS parsniphead :D Keep up the good work on the decluttering :T

Well Done oceanspirit :T digital clutter seems to breed if you don’t keep on top of it ;)

How very generous of you :T:T :A I am sure the recipient will be extremely grateful as it is always nice to sleep on a bed rather than the floor. Hopefully many others will also donate items.

Forget Narnia - I have visions of you in Wonderland now, nannywindow ;) let us know if you meet White Rabbit :D Don’t forget to leave a trail so you can get out :rotfl:

Happy Kitties - now you know where to look for your pens in future :rotfl: Shame about the foods but you don’t want to contaminate your new fridge :rotfl:

See you all later

MrsSD
    2715/4038
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure