Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion

Options

Comments

• hayleythedaisy
    Options
    We had British Gas Home Care 200, I had 2 missed appointments for a first service, then a "monitored" visit (apparently guarentees they'll turn up). Then the engineer rang me 4 hours after my appointment time to say he could come but probably wouldn't be able to fix the boiler....

Policy cancelled, full refund applied for.

If you do want to stay with them, ring them up and complain about the increase. See what they come up with.
    Bump due 22nd September
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you do want to stay with them, ring them up and complain about the increase. See what they come up with.

i did that earlier today and they offered me a 10% reduction in monthly fee. At least they answered the phone and my questions were answered within a few minutes (unlike Talk Talk:p)
  • sweet_charriot
    Options
    For a number of years I have had my Boiler which was fitted by BG. covered under their Homecare 200. Today as it was -9 my heating packed up. I rang the repair number where the automated reply told me due to the weather they were having a high demand and also that if I had a Condensing Boiler and my heating was not working check the overflow pipe for freezing and run hot water on it. Yes it was frozen and I sorted that. Still the Boiler would not fire up for heating. Rang the repair number where the call taker having asked my problem asked me to hold. Another person then came on the phone and asked me what I had done to right the problem and that as I had done everything he would have asked then informed me no Engineer would be able to attend until Wednesday (3 days) why? due to the roads being bad and the demand.I explained to him that I lived in the country and the roads were not bad and that they were using excuses still not coming for 3 days.
  • bellocchild
    Options
    I still think it makes more sense to use your local independent engineers and insure your heating through a separate non-BG scheme. Call the local guys out, get it fixed, pay them and claim it back from the insurers. If you have a good relationship with your neighbourhood firm, they won't let you down. We use boilerplus.
  • j26
    j26 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For a number of years I have had my Boiler which was fitted by BG. covered under their Homecare 200. Today as it was -9 my heating packed up. I rang the repair number where the automated reply told me due to the weather they were having a high demand and also that if I had a Condensing Boiler and my heating was not working check the overflow pipe for freezing and run hot water on it. Yes it was frozen and I sorted that. Still the Boiler would not fire up for heating. Rang the repair number where the call taker having asked my problem asked me to hold. Another person then came on the phone and asked me what I had done to right the problem and that as I had done everything he would have asked then informed me no Engineer would be able to attend until Wednesday (3 days) why? due to the roads being bad and the demand.I explained to him that I lived in the country and the roads were not bad and that they were using excuses still not coming for 3 days.
    :(
    Husband came home out of hospital on 22nd Dec to lovely warm house....a few hours later boiler not working, house freezing. Covered by BG,result of call....'you have a gas fire and a working gas hob..we will visit between 12noon and 6pm on 24th December'

Not happy as husband needed to be kept warm and the gas fire hasn't been serviced for a few years as we don't use it.

Huddled up in lounge with heaters and covered in blankets the phone went at 8.30pm on 23rd to say that BG would not be able to make the call after all and would not be able to come until 29th!!!

Fortunately I kept trying the boiler and managed to get it to fire up on 24th thank goodness.

Rang BG today to tell them the call is no longer urgent in order to re-assign the appointment tomorrow to some poor soul who has been less fortunate than us and BG didn't even thank us for letting them know!!. We still have a problem with the boiler losing pressure all the time but we have to wait to report that later.

• sandeber
    Options
    It's a year since we had new combi boiler and central heating installed. The recommendation then was that we should get a service annually but we don't want to waste money buying a service that is too comprehensive.

Has anyone any suggestions of a deal that will keep things ticking over without a huge premium?
  • Martyn_H
    Martyn_H Posts: 481 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Check the length of your guarantee before you get anyone else in. You might find you're covered for 2 or 3 years from the installation date.
  • bellocchild
    Options
    We use boilerplus and there is the choice of paying for just the insurance cover, or the cover plus a service from whichever engineers you use.
  • solodad
    Options
    Roberta1 wrote: »
    I'm with British Gas Homecare at the moment and am VERY dissatisfied.

Long story of broken appointments, wrong parts ordered, unfulfilled promises...

I am looking to change and need boiler, drains, electrics and preferably kitchen appliance cover too.

Can anyone help? Any recommendations?

Reliability is the key - doing what they say on the tin....

just looking at homeserves cover for £8.99pm.
    hope this is helpfull.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    solodad wrote: »
    just looking at homeserves cover for £8.99pm.
    hope this is helpfull.

It's cheap, but in my experience their response times are woeful.

We've been 4 days without heating now and have been told by Homeserve that they think the boiler will be repaired by Tuesday (ie 7 days without the "insured" central heating) ...if the part arrives.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure