We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion

Options

Comments

• bobesox
    bobesox Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Whilst cost is an important factor taking out a service contract if the service is diabolical then it's a waste of money. I have not been able to find cover that gives some indication of how long you can expect to wait for a call out if your boiler breaks down and you are left with no heating or hot water and as a consequence had to wait 2 weeks for it to be repaired and that was only because I was constantly on the phone to the EON call centre. My expections when sold the cover and by looking on their website was that the service was superior to British Gas - the reality is there are too few engineers in my area, and in my experience inadequately trained. There seems no commitment to customer satisfaction but how do you know it until it's too late and you are locked into a 12 month contract. It would be useful if there were comparisons online of service standards for all providers
    CHEAP IN COST NOT IN STYLE...
  • sabelu
    sabelu Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have home emergency cover thru my insurers but need to get annual service who's doin the cheapest at the moment please?
    It pays to challenge
  • ollski
    ollski Posts: 943 Forumite
    Options
    bobesox wrote: »
    Whilst cost is an important factor taking out a service contract if the service is diabolical then it's a waste of money. I have not been able to find cover that gives some indication of how long you can expect to wait for a call out if your boiler breaks down and you are left with no heating or hot water and as a consequence had to wait 2 weeks for it to be repaired and that was only because I was constantly on the phone to the EON call centre. My expections when sold the cover and by looking on their website was that the service was superior to British Gas - the reality is there are too few engineers in my area, and in my experience inadequately trained. There seems no commitment to customer satisfaction but how do you know it until it's too late and you are locked into a 12 month contract. It would be useful if there were comparisons online of service standards for all providers

Bg will soon be making an announcement to try to go some way towards meeting that problem. I would say that bg do have more engineers and more parts availability than anyone else and are about to agressively improve and promote the homecare business.
  • Gerrard_8_lfc
    Options
    ollski wrote: »
    Bg will soon be making an announcement to try to go some way towards meeting that problem. I would say that bg do have more engineers and more parts availability than anyone else and are about to agressively improve and promote the homecare business.

The new scheme is going to fall flat on its face. Have they got you guys working more hours in winter as well ?
    His Heart Proved He Was A Red
    Suarez, Suarez
    We Bought The Lad From Amsterdam
    We Know He's Not a Chelsea Fan.
    Fernando Torres = El Judas
  • ollski
    Options
    The new scheme is going to fall flat on its face. Have they got you guys working more hours in winter as well ?

Crazy hours over the winter but well paid for it and 3 days in the summer...sounds good to me. We have enough young guys with mortgages to pay to make it work here but I'm sure other patches will have to revert to contractors.
  • Jim_in_devon
    Options
    Just thought i would share my experiences.

Moved house four years ago and inherited the existing policy from the previous owner.

After a couple of months BG called for annual service and two days later fan failed. Replaced immediatly at no cost to me. Was told it would have been in excess of £200 if not insured (no way of verifying that figure but seems reasonable if one includes labour).

1 year later at time of annual service was told that the top of the case was corroded and boiler was unsafe. I shrugged my shoulders and said that my policy covered me but was told that as the boiler was no longer in production they may not be able to get a new case in which case i would not be covered. Hmmm i though. No great incentive to find one then.

Two days later they phoned to say they had managed to track one down. Following day three guys arrived as a whole system had to be removed from wall, new case fitted and boiler remounted. A big job and i had absolutely no complaints

This year boiler got all clear at time of service. I mentioned to inspector that one of the thermostatic valves on a radiator was not working and he immediatly replaced it. Also left me three others in case any others failed and showed me how to fit them.

Not the cheapest on the market but I have no complaints and in my case it appears to have been value for money

Jim
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Just thought i would share my experiences.

Moved house four years ago and inherited the existing policy from the previous owner.

After a couple of months BG called for annual service and two days later fan failed. Replaced immediatly at no cost to me. Was told it would have been in excess of £200 if not insured (no way of verifying that figure but seems reasonable if one includes labour).

1 year later at time of annual service was told that the top of the case was corroded and boiler was unsafe. I shrugged my shoulders and said that my policy covered me but was told that as the boiler was no longer in production they may not be able to get a new case in which case i would not be covered. Hmmm i though. No great incentive to find one then.

Two days later they phoned to say they had managed to track one down. Following day three guys arrived as a whole system had to be removed from wall, new case fitted and boiler remounted. A big job and i had absolutely no complaints

This year boiler got all clear at time of service. I mentioned to inspector that one of the thermostatic valves on a radiator was not working and he immediatly replaced it. Also left me three others in case any others failed and showed me how to fit them.

Not the cheapest on the market but I have no complaints and in my case it appears to have been value for money

Jim

Your good experiences with BG are they same as mine, however from the posts on here plenty of people have had the opposite. It must depend on the depot.

I left BG simply because the price of the service just kept on increasing, and I kept getting letters telling me that my boiler parts couldn't be obtained.
  • whitelightning
    Options
    I live in a flat with economy 7. I am trying to find boiler cover for a Gledhill Pulsacoil boiler but unable to find anywhere. Does anyone know which companies cover this boiler? It is only used for hot water. No cover for heating is required. Thanks.
  • ollski
    Options
    Bg should cover it although it will probably cause a bit of confusion before they realize. You may need to study the terms and conditions.
  • whitelightning
    Options
    All the maintenance covers I've seen seem be only for central heating boilers. Doesn't seem like anyone out there cater for flats. I've not read BG's T&C but I did check on their website and couldn't find on their list of boilers.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure