Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion

Options

Comments

• mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I'm a HomeCare customer and can't wait until April, when I'm due to have a new boiler fitted (under the Warm Front scheme) and can tell them where to go.

I went online in mid October and got a service appointment for mid November, which was cancelled with less than 24 hours notice. Ditto the replacement December 6th appointment. Today, I was promised a guaranteed appearance.

When they didn't appear I rang up. My records were mysteriously unavailable for the first minute of the call. Probably the time it took for the CSA to frantically input another appointment, as she then announced 'You have a service booked for Friday February 11th'

'Well, nobody told me....'

'Do you want anyone to investigate this?'

Two seconds thought and I decided I was heartily fed up of hearing lies, so no thanks, no more.

I was told I could have a second appointment this year. Oh yeah? All being well I won't need it, as my Warm Front boiler will have a two year service plan included.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Martyn_H wrote: »
    Check the length of your guarantee before you get anyone else in. You might find you're covered for 2 or 3 years from the installation date.

Most 2,3 or 5 year guarantees are conditional on have annual service by manufacturer approved fitters.
  • mumknowsbest_2
    mumknowsbest_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2011 at 3:17PM
    Options
    Thought this might be of interest to anyone renewing this year as I was. Having got Homeserve's quote and compared like for like on line, (which was considerably cheaper) I rang them and said I would probably not renew. At this point I was transferred to 'customer service' and got £78 reduction to renew. This is the second year on the trot that this has worked for me. I think they just expect everyone to renew without a second thought. Worth a phone call.
  • jsg2
    jsg2 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just had my home care 200 renewal quote reduced from £21.20 a month to £15.90 because I phoned up saying I was planning to switch to Npower - who charge £15 a month.

So it is definitely worth phoning up rather than just accepting an increase.

I know it's still 90p a month more - but I have had good experience with British Gas and am happy to pay a little bit more for that (but not £6 a month more!)
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Incredible .. a good experience with British Gas! To be fair, things have gone well in some years, though there have been delays in repairs But this year the wheels have come spectacularly off the wagon. If you are with British Gas Home Care and happy, then you must be having your annual service in July. Don't let them move you from as summer appointment to a winter one, as they have done with me.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • tinley
    tinley Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Just a quick question; my renewal from Homeserve for boiler cover came through at £129/year. Can I simply cancel this and sign up as a new customer through uSwitch.com for £71? Or is that against the T&C's?

Thanks in advance!
  • shirlthegirlx
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    Does anyone know if there is a breakdown cover that will actually send an engineer out 'after hours'?
    My partner and myself both have health issues yet when our boiler has broken down today, all they can tell me is that they'll send someone tomorrow?
    (We have no heating or hot water)
  • ollski
    ollski Posts: 943 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    Does anyone know if there is a breakdown cover that will actually send an engineer out 'after hours'?
    My partner and myself both have health issues yet when our boiler has broken down today, all they can tell me is that they'll send someone tomorrow?
    (We have no heating or hot water)

Don't think anyone has a cast iron guarantee but bg have at least 1 engineer in each area on call out of hours (8pm - 8am). barring a water leak or gas leak (nat. grid) though I can't really imagine a scenario that couldn't be fixed by snuggling under a duvet!
  • ljhhuk
    ljhhuk Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    jinco999 wrote: »
    I have recently been looking for boiler cover and have been looking at prices from £150 upwards, yet i noticed on another website that the Sun newspaper had an article in october recommending HOMECALLPLUS.

I had a look and sure enough cover, including a safety check, and boiler inspection for just £99, have a look at http://www.homecallplus.co.uk/

Cheapest is not always best - see this.....
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews89626.html
    Better a pebble given out of love than a diamond given out of duty.
  • JS477
    JS477 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    Is it possible to just get a one off boiler service rather than enter into an annual service contract?

Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure