Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion

Options

Comments

• Hollypear
    Hollypear Posts: 1,265 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice. I did get a call back and they said it was an admin error so I am getting my contract.
    Clique member no 1.:D
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hollypear wrote: »
    Thanks all for the advice. I did get a call back and they said it was an admin error so I am getting my contract.

The dreaded BG computer strikes again!!!!
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    Options
    The BG computer is a wee bit too keen for its own good ;)
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I recently got a renewal phone call from Homeserve saying that the premium had gone up to £178(boiler cover only but with unlimited call outs, labour and parts included and no excess).
    I thought that it was a bit steep and told them that I was going to have a look around first before recommitting.
    Looking at their website I saw that they like most others sadly indulge in screwing their existing customers with the same policy coming up £40 cheaper and then I saw that Vaillant(my boiler manufacturer) actually have the same features under their one star policy for just under £108.
    Surely this has to be a no brainer unless people here know better and have reservations about Vaillant's service?
  • postbox49
    Options
    Its worth saying if British gas supplied your boiler less than ten years ago then there are benefits to sticking with there cover should the boiler need replacement.

I found U switch helpful though as British Gas offered me a 10% discount on my renewal premium when I rang them saying I might switch.

I've never called them out [other than the annual service] so I guess you could say its an expensive luxury, but knowing nothing really about heating and plumbing if seems good cover to have against something going seriously wrong. Just wish it offered more cash back for non call out.
  • ihateyes
    ihateyes Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    thor wrote: »
    I recently got a renewal phone call from Homeserve saying that the premium had gone up to £178(boiler cover only but with unlimited call outs, labour and parts included and no excess).
    I thought that it was a bit steep and told them that I was going to have a look around first before recommitting.
    Looking at their website I saw that they like most others sadly indulge in screwing their existing customers with the same policy coming up £40 cheaper and then I saw that Vaillant(my boiler manufacturer) actually have the same features under their one star policy for just under £108.
    Surely this has to be a no brainer unless people here know better and have reservations about Vaillant's service?

valliant use homeserve engineers i believe.
    Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
  • Sammiejam12
    Options
    Can someone please offer me some advice? 2 Weeks ago my boiler was playing up, I had hot water but the heating decided to come on just of it's own account. I called out Homeserve after seeing their advert on the TV, a guy came out said I needed a new clock, he ordered one and then came back and installed it.
    Later that day I had no hot water or heating :( so I rang them back, next another guy came out and said I needed a new PCB and he would order one. 2 days later I received a phone call and was told PCB was not covered on my policy and that it would cost me £473 :eek:, I checked my policy and nowhere does it state that a PCB is not included in the policy.
    I rang back and complained as I have a 10 year old daughter and have no hot water, shower or any other washing facilities, apart from boiling pans of water.
    After several conversations with Homeserve I was told to boil kettles to fill a bath I don't have, I was told the problem was agitated by their engineers and I have now been told that they take no nonesense and do not like to be proved wrong. They have been rude and uncooperative and have no concerns that I have a child. Please someone advise as I am now losing the will to live.
  • ihateyes
    ihateyes Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    Can someone please offer me some advice? 2 Weeks ago my boiler was playing up, I had hot water but the heating decided to come on just of it's own account. I called out Homeserve after seeing their advert on the TV, a guy came out said I needed a new clock, he ordered one and then came back and installed it.
    Later that day I had no hot water or heating :( so I rang them back, next another guy came out and said I needed a new PCB and he would order one. 2 days later I received a phone call and was told PCB was not covered on my policy and that it would cost me £473 :eek:, I checked my policy and nowhere does it state that a PCB is not included in the policy.
    I rang back and complained as I have a 10 year old daughter and have no hot water, shower or any other washing facilities, apart from boiling pans of water.
    After several conversations with Homeserve I was told to boil kettles to fill a bath I don't have, I was told the problem was agitated by their engineers and I have now been told that they take no nonesense and do not like to be proved wrong. They have been rude and uncooperative and have no concerns that I have a child. Please someone advise as I am now losing the will to live.
    £472 for pcb... rubbish!

Ok i need more info...
    What package did you sign up to.... is it where u pay more cos u got a breakdown, also does it give unlimited breakdowns??

Pcb could cause so fault, but so could the clock, if the timer was set incorrectly.... or faulty..

How can homeserve say that the 1st engr didnt mis diagnosed the fault?

Google them, its well known on some forums, homeserve dont even replace heat exchangers... too exp.

In most of the t&c's they state firstly:
    2. There is no limit to the amount we will pay per claim under this
    element of cover, providing your boiler is not beyond economic repair.

then further down:

5. If your boiler is found to be beyond economic repair, we will make
    a £200 contribution towards the replacement of the boiler and the
    policy will cease.

They are well known to take this route often.......
    Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Homeserve replaced my boiler's pcb and did not charge extra. I was on their 1 star boiler and controls cover.
  • AuntyJean
    AuntyJean Posts: 585 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This will be my third year with BG (maybe). Cover 1st year was £17.00, second £17.41 and now due to rise to £17.94pm. I believe npower can provide the same cover (annual service, breakdown, for only £16.00 per month but am wary of a possible catch.

I am with npower for gas & electric so would get 50% back if no call-outs in the year.

Any comments please?

PS my Vailant combi is 25 years old. No callouts in past 2 years.
    There is always light within the dark
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure