MSE News: Small energy supplier One Select stops trading - what you need to know

Options

Comments

• merchcon55
    Options
    nigelbb wrote: »
    You should also warn us which will be your 7th supplier as you have an unerring facility for spotting those about to go out of business.

I was being kind - I did not want to say that - LOL

Like being at the track and watching the guy who keeps losing - seeing which horse he picks next - and then pick another one for yourself !
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,518 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    nigelbb wrote: »
    You should also warn us which will be your 7th supplier as you have an unerring facility for spotting those about to go out of business.

It was all going so well until last July:rotfl:
  • brewerdave
    Options
    merchcon55 wrote: »
    Smart man - better to have the money in your account than in their accounts.

I had a policy of cancelling the DD as soon as I heard that the supplier had turned up their toes - have no faith in the administrators of the defunct Cos. not making up readings and dipping their fingers in my current account - seems as if this stops the SOLR from setting up a new DD -or at least it does with my Bank:)
  • alex26c
    alex26c Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I'm supposed to switch tomorrow to EDF but I couldn't submit my meter reading to them. I've learned since that Together Energy objected to the switch ( I didn't even know suppliers could object). I called them and apparently they still haven't got my account details so I can't switch. It's funny they found my bank details very quickly and set up a DD without my autorisation which I cancelled straight away as I was in credit.

The fact they are objecting the switch even though OFGEM said I could switch once the switch to Together Energy done (ie 4th January) sounds like pure ransom to me. Their electricity night rate is definitely not competitive.

Has anyone problems to switch away from Together Energy?
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    alex26c wrote: »
    I'm supposed to switch tomorrow to EDF but I couldn't submit my meter reading to them. I've learned since that Together Energy objected to the switch ( I didn't even know suppliers could object). I called them and apparently they still haven't got my account details so I can't switch. It's funny they found my bank details very quickly and set up a DD without my autorisation which I cancelled straight away as I was in credit.

The fact they are objecting the switch even though OFGEM said I could switch once the switch to Together Energy done (ie 4th January) sounds like pure ransom to me. Their electricity night rate is definitely not competitive.

Has anyone problems to switch away from Together Energy?
    Will let you know in four days time.
  • tsg20
    tsg20 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    I'm considering switching from Together, rather than waiting for them to get their act together, but I was wondering what will happen to the credit from OneSelect - will that automatically be sent over to the new supplier, or is there any risk of that going missing? I was about £100 in credit with OneSelect when they folded, so I don't want to lose that.
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 January 2019 at 11:07AM
    Options
    nickcc wrote: »
    Will let you know in four days time.
    I’ve just initiated a switch to EDF. I’m not holding out much hope of it succeeding as I have stopped my DD & had no response to my emails requesting to pay by other means. I have on Together Energy account number online access or any way of entering meter readings.
  • brewerdave
    Options
    tsg20 wrote: »
    I'm considering switching from Together, rather than waiting for them to get their act together, but I was wondering what will happen to the credit from OneSelect - will that automatically be sent over to the new supplier, or is there any risk of that going missing? I was about £100 in credit with OneSelect when they folded, so I don't want to lose that.

Don't forget that you will have to pay Together's rates from Dec. til you actually switch, so that credit will be set against your final bill.
  • tsg20
    tsg20 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Don't forget that you will have to pay Together's rates from Dec. til you actually switch, so that credit will be set against your final bill.

Thanks - they've been taking money from the DD, at the same (overly high) rate as OneSelect, though, so if anything the credit should be going up.

But is there any risk to the credit from switching? I'm presuming not but thought I should check.
  • brewerdave
    Options
    tsg20 wrote: »
    Thanks - they've been taking money from the DD, at the same (overly high) rate as OneSelect, though, so if anything the credit should be going up.

But is there any risk to the credit from switching? I'm presuming not but thought I should check.

In theory ,there is no risk BUT if the experience of many of the posters in these fora is any guide, then be prepare for a long wait to get the credits back.

This is why I've killed the DD to the defunct supplier asap ,and, as I'm going to switch away promptly, I've "resisted" any attempt to set a DD up - since I didn't choose the Supplier of Last Resort I've applied the argument that I'm not obliged to have a DD with them.That certainly worked when Octopus inherited my supply in August.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure