What small DFW things will you do w/c 15th October?

Options

Comments

• crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Morning all :wave: :coffee:
    I made it back to work yesterday but was too tired to post last night. However, I've made it to half term finally so am looking forward to a week of resting as much as possible and trying to get properly better. I've woken up with a fuzzy head this morning but thankfully don't have too many plans for the day.
    I'm hoping for a nsd (unless I need to go grocery shopping), and I've made a very short list of essentials to get through the week ahead. I've been going back through all of my Jack Monroe recipes and I'm going to try some of those over the week. My mam has just sent a message saying that she's going to pop over and visit in a couple of hours and hopefully I'll pop out and see bestie for a couple of hours later.
    Other than that, just the usual - washing, minimum housework etc.
    Chandelier - so pleased that your car was less costly than you thought it was going to be.
    Have a fabulous day everyone :D
  • browneyed_girl
    browneyed_girl Posts: 244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 October 2018 at 9:21AM
    Options
    Good morning all!

Another day like yesterday - keep children quiet at all costs so DH can get some sleep in between his night shifts. DD3 is 2 and has reached full destruct mode so this is no easy task! Add to that 4 month old DS and it’s bordering on the impossible!! Pretty sure the end of maternity leave in 7 weeks will feel like a holiday!

So, other than mission ‘seen-but-not-heard’, today we will be doing the following:

1. NSD. The thought of dragging 4 children around the shops is a very powerful motivator to not spend! Will be taking them to local park as a free activity. Done.

2. Meals from stores - have got yesterday’s lo for lunch and DH has brought home free food from work that is enough for 2 days of dinners. He really surpasses himself sometimes! :A Done.

3. Baking with DD1 and DD2. Today feels like a cake day. All ingredients from stores. Not done - not enough hours in the day! Will bake Monday instead so that we have some treats to take when we visit family on Tuesday.

4. Find and clean equipment for expressing (TMI, I know). Organised the freezer yesterday to make room to store milk for when I’m back at work - had best get to making it! Done.

5. Heating off. Still determined not to put this on until absolutely necessary. All children wrapped up snuggly and perfectly happy :). On that note, I mentioned before that we have electric radiators rather than central heating in our current property. Not sure we used them particularly economically last year (constantly off/on). Have since read that the best thing to do is keep them on constantly once you first turn them on, but set a comfortable ambient temperature at times you’re using a room with a cooler temperature setting for when you’re not. Apparently, because the radiators are thermostatic, they will turn themselves off when the right room temperature is reached and keeping the room at a constant temperature saves more energy than heating it from cold every time. Can anyone confirm this please?? Done.

6. Use candles for lighting during evening. On clearing out some cupboards, I found a lot (and I mean A LOT) of unused and partially burned candles. And not the little flimsy kind. The kind that burns for weeks/months! Some of these date back 12 years to when I first met DH! In my efforts to de-clutter and save energy, it looks as though I’ll be enjoying some romantic ambient lighting. Shame DH is at work this evening! :rotfl: Done.

7. Check survey sites x 3. Done.

Right, best get to it! Have a lovely weekend everyone :D
    Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship.
    Debt at highest = £62,842.59 (Dec 2018) - now £44,611.39 (Oct 2021)
    Emergency fund £268.63 / £1000
    NSD October Challenge 8/12
    NSD target Sept-Dec 2021 17/50
  • Chandelier.
    Options
    Thanks ccl, I too was impressed with the quote.

Yesterday, I paid off one of my credit cards leaving me with just one for now. I will be glad to see the back of the other.

Today we are off to an indoor trampoline place. They usually charge you for socks to wear so I got the boy to dig out an old pair.. £2 saved there ;). I will most likely purchase a coffee whilst there but will take the boy a bottle of juice for when he gets thirsty.

I haven't many other plans for the rest of the day. I am in two minds whether to nip into town and start on my Christmas shopping. I am thinking of getting my niece/nephew some pyjamas rather then toys and at least they will get worn. I can also buy for my sister in law whilst there.

Who knows, what I will end up doing.

I need to go through all my paperwork/bills and shred what is not needed. I also need to continue decluttering my room.

Baby steps.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 October 2018 at 11:21AM
    Options
    Afternoon all!

Just catching up it the thread as today wasn't quite as planned so far.

DNMS I would love to send you some flowers but I wouldn't want everyone else on the thread to miss out :D

Chandelier - excellent work on the cc

Unplanned spend for the day was a new-but-temporary overdrive pedal for OH. But he is a star and found one that would do the job for just £35! It was also nice for him as he bumped into two friends and caught up with them.

Today's mission for me:
    • B/L/D from stores. (All batch cooking is pretty much done! hooray!) - done
    • Gym this morning - done
    • Whipped up some brownies. I have been fancying some chocolate. This is my go-to recipe as it only needs cocoa powder, not a bar of choc so I can always make it with what I have in. - done
    • Go to party at my hairdressers (10 years in business) for free booze and nibble and hopefully win the raffle - done
    • Heating off! - done
    • Washing in - done
    • Might sit and do some sock this afternoon - done
    Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    5. Heating off. Still determined not to put this on until absolutely necessary. All children wrapped up snuggly and perfectly happy :). On that note, I mentioned before that we have electric radiators rather than central heating in our current property. Not sure we used them particularly economically last year (constantly off/on). Have since read that the best thing to do is keep them on constantly once you first turn them on, but set a comfortable ambient temperature at times you’re using a room with a cooler temperature setting for when you’re not. Apparently, because the radiators are thermostatic, they will turn themselves off when the right room temperature is reached and keeping the room at a constant temperature saves more energy than heating it from cold every time. Can anyone confirm this please??

Are they economy7 heaters? Foxgloves has some experience of these, although I'm not sure if she's reading atm
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • Chandelier.
    Options
    Afternoon,

So the boy had a great time at the indoor trampoline place, jumping around with his friend for two hours. I think he is pretty worn out for now. Our total spends were £17.50.

We then went and did some Christmas shopping and I have managed to buy all presents for my brother, his wife, son and daughter. I spent £48 in total on them, coming under budget by £2 :D.

I then bought myself a new bedding set, some earrings and some more pretty pens, which came to £36.90. The bedding had 30% off and it is a lovely colour and will go well with my room when I come to redecorate it. The boy also got some slime, I am not sure why.

We then went to another shop and bought two picture frames for £6.78, which I will put in a nice photo of the boy. This will be the christmas presents for the boys grandparents and his dad. I just need to get the photo copied and reprinted.

So that is six christmas presents sorted out so far. I have set a budget for each person and I am trying to stick to these, if I come under budget then thats a bonus.

The plan for the rest of the day is as follows;

- Go through my post/paperwork and shred what is not needed.
    - Sort out my makeup/brushes into the organiser I bought.
    - Make a head start in decluttering one corner of my bedroom.
    - Tea from stores, most likely pizza.
    - Make an inventory of what food we have in freezers and organise.

I am hoping to get most things done, if not then they can wait.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • 1LuckyLady
    1LuckyLady Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 20 October 2018 at 2:56PM
    Options
    Afternoon all,

Pf, I hope you enjoy your hols!
    Ccl, wishing you a restful half term.
    Browneyed.. I feel for you trying to keep the family quiet so that dh can sleep!
    :wave: to everyone :)
    We've got another week before half term here (the kids are definitely ready for it!)

We've been out to visit my parents and have a little walk this morning. Only spend was on ys bread & ys milk from the coop.

All meals will be from stores.

Alarm clocks/microwave/oven etc all switched off at the wall.

No heating on, as the boiler won't be fixed until Monday afternoon at the earliest. We too as using candles for a little extra warmth, along with extra layers and fleece blankets.

Will watch a film with the family later, last night we watched Bruce Almighty so we might watch Evan Amighty if its on one of the streaming channels.

I can't think of anything else in the way of small things!
    Also chatted with dh about finances (as I sort it all) and discussed xmas gifts/ideas as we are seeing some family next weekend who we won't see before xmas so want to get this present sorted by next weekend.

Enjoy your weekend all.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    Morning guys :D Finished this week's work stint and am now off for 4 days :j

On the lesser :j front I lost my car keys yesterday :cry::cry::cry: so today will largely involve trying to find them and work out contingency for if I don't. Am trying not to be too bummed about it as I do have an emergency fund....

As well as that I hope to:

* go to the allotment
    * all meals from stores
    * roast chicken for dinner - will divvy up rubber chicken :D
    * sewing quilt. Didn't do any last night to getting home so late
    * go out for a walk and a pint
    * keep on top of the house - oh had a mega tidy up yesterday so if we just kept on top of it.....
    * I need to start running my freezers down so will aim to use things from freezer and not put anything in!
    * continue with reducing online time - pretty pleased with the extra time recently :cool:

that's all I can think of for the moment. Hope you all have a good day x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 October 2018 at 7:58PM
    Options
    Hi October Overthrowers,

Morning!:coffee:Day off after a busy week involving two days over the border working. :j

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Four:

* Check online banking. Done. It's a few days til payday and things are going to be tight. :o But I'm still solvent so that's ok.

* Get some exercise. Strolled along Sauchiehall Street before the opera.

* Source paint for car bodywork after my car 'kissed' a pillar in a car park. :(Easier said than done.

* Going to the Opera this afternoon in Glasgow in the cheap seats (£13.90 each). Will drive to the city and use the cheap car park which is £3 all day. This is cheaper than £9.60 each by train. Done. Wonderful! Car park has gone up 50p, though.

* Talked DW out of eating a meal in the city. I'm feeling a bit off colour so I wouldn't fully appreciate it anyway. DW offered to pay for fish and chips when we got home from her personal spends. I didn't object. Tired...

To be continued....

Things don't have to be perfect to be wonderful.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    On the lesser :j front I lost my car keys yesterday :cry::cry::cry: so today will largely involve trying to find them and work out contingency for if I don't.

May I recommend buying one of these....or similar? (Link) At home we keep our keys in a wee tray on the coffee table after several incidents.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure