Options

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,938 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 July 2020 at 7:57PM
    Options
    Colin61 said:
    Switched to them in May; without asking me they inflated my electricity reading by 1000 units as "it looked too low". That meant that I have now over-paid my original, higher-cost, supplier by 1000 units.
    Probably not Yorkshire's fault, it's this daft interference by a mysterious third party that's to blame.
    However, both parties should use the same figure and you can challenge them if they don't.
    You can also challenge the reading itself because it's out by more than 250kWh.
  • Fadacious
    Options
    I've been with them for a few months (previously with Tonik) and I haven't had any issues with them at all so far. Website is fairly basic but that's fine, and I would prefer it if there was only one page where you put gas and electric readings, but that's very minor. Haven't had to ring their customer service yet though.
  • Jez54
    Options
    I've been with Yorkshire Energy since Feb 2019 and I've just received my 19th bill.  That is the longest I've stayed with any supplier for many years.  The reason?  YE have been the easiest and best to deal with of the 12 suppliers I have previously been with, as well as still being very close to the cheapest.  After being with both Iresa and then OneSelect when they failed, experiencing the hassle of being switched to an expensive SOLR and then immediately having to switch again to the supplier of my choice, I'm anxious not to repeat that experience any time soon, so I'm wary of the newest and cheapest suppliers until they have been around a bit longer.

Each month on 16th I get an email from YE asking for my meter readings.  I submit my readings online that same morning and 10 minutes later I get another email saying my new bill is ready to view online.  The bill is always based on my readings, and is always clear and always correct.  While I am online, I get a new quote to check out YE's latest tariff offering, as they issue a new tariff almost every month.  I assume the reason is that every month YE buy a new chunk of energy on the forward market and then create a new tariff to sell that new chunk of energy to their customers at a competitive markup.  I've changed my YE tariff 4 times now, to ensure I stay on their best deal.  Currently (on Green Whitby) I'm paying almost 10% less than when I first joined (on Green Beaver), which feels extremely good.  Each time a quick phone call was all that was necessary to switch.

My only (very minor) gripe in 19 months?  That YE introduced a £30 exit fee on their fixed tariffs in July 2019, which they charge not only if you leave YE before your contract ends (which is standard practice and fair enough), but also if you choose to switch onto another cheaper YE fixed tariff before your previous YE tariff ends.  Some other (more expensive) suppliers do not charge their exit fee for switching onto a new tariff, which I guess is because their pricing has a bigger margin so that they can absorb the cost in order to hold onto a customer, whereas YE pricing strategy appears more competitive and leaves them less margin for such generosity.  But this policy is clearly stated in their T&Cs, so it did not come as any surprise.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Yorkshire Energy to anyone who wants a competitive, no-frills supplier.
  • thevilla
    Options
    I've recently left YE after being with them for electricity for a year.  The reason I've left is to get smart meters - I'm fed up reading meters and YE don't yet provide them and also to go back to a dual fuel deal.
    That said, I've found them excellent.  Billing the same day I provide a meter reading and on leaving I received a very prompt refund of my credit.
    I wouldn't hesitate to go back to them in future.
    4.7kwp PV split equally N and S 20° 2016.
    Givenergy AIO.
    Nissan Leaf (2021 Tekna e+).  Seat Mii electric (2021).
    1.2kw Ripple Kirk Hill. 0.6kw Derril Water.
  • DaveYorks24
    Options
    Basic website that's functional ok with good prices at the time of my switch.
    Customer service & communication, based outside the UK, leaves a lot to be desired. 
    YE made mistakes with my switch & assigned Meter IDs belonging to a different property. 9 months & 2 complaints upheld by the energy ombudsman they still cannot provide an accurate bill and by fixing one problem they created another resulting in doubling billing.
    Personally wouldn't recommend as they aren't set up to resolve simple problems 

• pallyman
    Options
    Basic website that's functional ok with good prices at the time of my switch.
    Customer service & communication, based outside the UK, leaves a lot to be desired. 
    YE made mistakes with my switch & assigned Meter IDs belonging to a different property. 9 months & 2 complaints upheld by the energy ombudsman they still cannot provide an accurate bill and by fixing one problem they created another resulting in doubling billing.
    Personally wouldn't recommend as they aren't set up to resolve simple problems 

Strange,I have contacted a few times and always UK customer service,Hope they have not contracted cs abroad now.
  • Sniblet
    Sniblet Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm very pleased so far. Joined them earlier this year on dual fuel; not bothered about smart meters at present as not all suppliers are able to work with every model, severely scuppering my perceived pool from which to fish next time around! (I've been a keen switch and ditch-er over the years and I have to say I've been impressed more or less from the off.)
    Okay there was a website glitch that didn't allow me to submit my final readings from old supplier when I first moved to them, so I had to email customer service and they'd meanwhile estimated. A quick phone call, during which I was fair but firm , got them into gear and it was happy days from thereonin. 

Yes, I get an email every month asking for updating meter readings but ten mins later I get another email saying they've generated a bill. This way at least they're not guesstimating and I'm pleased that I'm in substantial credit going into the winter months (ideal) and they are even better IMHO than So Energy, N Power (who were real cr*p and thieving swines) and others. Depending on your usage (use Martin's Energy Club - does all the hard graft for you) then this is a good option. 
    Their early teething problems that everyone was berating them for, seem to have been smoothed out. 

Yorkshire Energy gets my vote! 

• Dave360180
    Options
    Have they just put up the variable tariff prices for anyone else ? Just logged in and mine says Renew Your Tarriff Now. Offers Green Bradfield and scrolling down the variable rates have all hiked up. Just me or everyone else ?
  • rp1974
    rp1974 Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I find this useful for tracking changes:https://www.energylinx.co.uk/latest_energy_price_updates.htm.Not certain how good,bad or indifferent it is though.Says Price amendment of Yorkshire Energy Variable,so looking like an all round rise.Would be great if they had actual figures instead of just lauched,removed,changed possibly colour coded.
  • Dave360180
    Options
    Thanks, looks like a rise on 29 October. I’ll be switching now then ! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback