🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

new phone recommendations

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    acc wrote: »
    It may be worth making a short list of suitable phones around or slightly above your £100 limit, and monitoring any price drops around Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

Or of course they could make a short list of possible under £100 phones now and maybe get them even cheaper around Black Friday and Cyber Monday. This is MSE after all :)
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,414 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Honest advice, for what they want to do £100 for a new Android phone is going to cause them frustration . It might be cheaper initially, but you'll soon waste so much time freeing up memory or waiting for it to do stuff that the saving is wasted.
    I would recommend going for the next level up, around £150 . Something like a Nokia 5.1 or Huawei P Smart that you should be able to pick up around that price.

Better still wait for Black Friday / Christmas Deals and get them even cheaper.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    PHK wrote: »
    Honest advice, for what they want to do £100 for a new Android phone is going to cause them frustration . It might be cheaper initially, but you'll soon waste so much time freeing up memory or waiting for it to do stuff that the saving is wasted.
    I would recommend going for the next level up, around £150 . Something like a Nokia 5.1 or Huawei P Smart that you should be able to pick up around that price.

Better still wait for Black Friday / Christmas Deals and get them even cheaper.

Given their stated requirements, they really don't need to spend £150 each on a phone.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bought my wife a LEAGOO KIICAA mobile thru Amazon for ~ £65 and added a 16MB SD card for ~ £6. With a cheap SIM only contract, it does everything that she needs and runs Android 7. She has had it for 8 months and is delighted. As a contrast my daughters are always complaining about lack of space, no battery life on their much more expensive I Phones:rotfl:
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PHK wrote: »
    Honest advice, for what they want to do £100 for a new Android phone is going to cause them frustration .
    I don't see why. I'm still using a Moto E2, and it causes me no frustration at all. A current £100 Android phone would have a much better spec.
    Stompa
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Aura wrote: »
    I couldn't afford to pay for the phone outright.
    A much better attitude would be that you can't afford to deliver yourself to the voracious salesmen at CPW, and another long expensive network phone contract.

You can't afford not to know exactly what you are getting with your present contract, and what your actual usage requirements are, and you can't afford not to find a much cheaper way of insuring your phone (if you must). Although you now desire it, perhaps you can't really afford such an expensive phone, if much cheaper but very decent models will fulfill your needs.

How is your credit history? If you can obtain a 0% for purchases credit card, you could use it to buy a new SIM-free handset and pay it off over a year or two interest free. Then have a SIM-only contract for less than a tenner if you don't need much data.

There's plenty of MSE info about phone contacts and 0% cards etc. If you don't mind my saying so, you need to do a bit of homework to save a lot of your hard earned money, you can't afford to walk into a phone shop desiring a fancy phone and appearing so ignorant - they will eat you..!
    Evolution, not revolution
  • MRGANNET
    MRGANNET Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    I don't see why. I'm still using a Moto E2, and it causes me no frustration at all. A current £100 Android phone would have a much better spec.

Agreed, the only issue they have at the moment is the lack of storage (only 4GB with no option to add) so I'm just hoping to find something for under £100 where the memory is not going to be a problem for them. Will keep an eye on things for black Friday.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MRGANNET wrote: »
    Agreed, the only issue they have at the moment is the lack of storage (only 4GB with no option to add)...
    A Moto E1 does allow you to add a micro SD card, but perhaps that's not what you're after.
    Stompa
  • MRGANNET
    MRGANNET Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    A Moto E1 does allow you to add a micro SD card, but perhaps that's not what you're after.

I tried this a while back but my understanding was that apps could not be moved to the SD card which kind of made the whole thing pointless as they were using up the vast majority of the memory. I certainly couldn't find any way to move them across and from what I read online at the time, it wasn't possible.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,464 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I needed an additional phone last year and bought an LG K4. It currently sells for between £70 and £90.

It has 8Gb of internal data, but 4.3 Gb is used by the OS (Android 6.01)

Very few apps can be moved to an SD card, but you can store media there.

I currently use it for Google Maps, Chrome, Apple Music,and Yahoo Mail.

If you don't need many apps, it is fine. It's a nice design, large screen, good battery life. Makes a good Sat Nav and Juke Box for my wireless speakers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport