new phone recommendations

Options

Comments

• Aura
    Aura Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My contract runs out next may 2019, I have a Sony Experia XZ which has had to be repaired twice. First the charger port went wrong, then recently it wouldn't turn on at all. I took it to carphone warehouse and they have given me a standbye phone (Alkatel) which is basic but works.

I haven't put the pound sign on this post, as for some reason it won't work. Anyway, back to the topic.

As soon as I get my phone back Carphone Warehouse say they can buy my contract and all I'll have to do is pay for the rental charges. I'm with 02 at the moment, I'm paying 31.16 per month. With my insurance, that makes it 45.15 permonth

Ive been offered two phones:
    • huawei p20
    • huawei p20 mate

The huawei p20 is 36 pounds per month
    huawei p20 mate is slightly more expensive.

I have been told that they can adjust my insurance but that it would stop covering it being lost or stolen which is a bit worrying. Carphone have said my new charge would be 44 pounds with the lost and stolen not covered.

Can you good people advise me which phone I should go for, and should I keep my insurance as it is?

I still want it to be covered if it gets lost or stolen. I can also trade in my old phone for 50 pounds towards new phone.

Many thanks.
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    What are they doing about your old phone?

Are you sure you are not buying your way out your contract?

Do you have home insurance or phone insurance through your bank? Both would cover for lost/stolen phones I believe, just depends on your excess and possibly adding it on to your home insurance/ registering the phone with the bank insurance company.

In all my years of having mobiles I have never paid for insurance only my last phone had an accident within a month of the new contract and again a few months later, I sorted it with tape :D

I have just upgraded my phone and paid the outstanding contract as my phone was playing up too much, however mine was able to be upgraded this Month, it cost Me just over £15 to do it, I also went with the P20 pro due to camera capabilities. Down payment of £29 and contract of £33 pm with 3.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Aura
    Options
    What are they doing about your old phone?
    Just checked it, it's still being repaired.
    Are you sure you are not buying your way out your contract?
    I was told they would do that. But when I get it back then I'll go up carphone warehouse which is part of PC World and see what they say.
    Do you have home insurance or phone insurance through your bank?
    I've got home insurance but I can hardly see them helping me with my phone. I damaged a compact camera and it was complex getting them to help me with that, I had to get a support worker to help me.
    I also went with the P20 pro due to camera capabilities
    I would have gone with that, but the costs are too high and they said it was like an Iphone.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £45 pm for what exactly ??
    Insurance is often a waste .
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For the last 2 years I have had very good deals with CPW on Samsung S7 and S8's with the November black Friday offers- 23rd this year but they start a few days early so only 4 weeks to wait.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    I would forget contracts that include a phone, way too expensive and complicated. Avoid CPW too... Sounds like they are trying to sell you another phone+SIM contract.

What is wrong with going SIM only and forgetting about buying a phone via a monthly payment plan?
  • Aura
    Options
    £45 pm for what exactly ??
    Monthly payments and insurance for loss, damage, theft
    What is wrong with going SIM only and forgetting about buying a phone via a monthly payment plan?

I couldn't afford to pay for the phone outright.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    Options
    That is too much for insurance.
    Check out packaged bank account, you usually get mobile phone insurance + travel insurance + car breakdown cover for £13 per month

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/best-packaged-bank-accounts/

How many mins + text + data you use each month?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Aura wrote: »
    Monthly payments and insurance for loss, damage, theft

For ?? network + Phone ??

I couldn't afford to pay for the phone outright.

4 months at £45 = plenty to buy a phone outright .
    Dont pay insurance and put that to a new phone .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure