🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Options

Comments

• geordie_ben
    geordie_ben Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    matty_art wrote: »
    Sky are now charging me £14.50 line rental + £7.50 for unlimited broadband, so it seems I have to switch to get a better deal. I would do the Talktalk deal, but I know several people who have had nightmares with them customer-servicewise, which puts me off somewhat. What's Tesco's reputation like? BT is tempting for the sport which would work out about £6 more than Tesco per month per my quick calculations.

I was dubious about going to TT as well, but, I've not had any problems so far, speeds are good and the price is great.
  • robertoegg
    robertoegg Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    cashback amounts have all dropped as of this week so be careful factoring any of that in...
  • geordie_ben
    geordie_ben Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    You should never factor in cashback when trying to find the best deal anyway

but, on a different note, just had my first call to TT customer services. in a slight mix up they'd put me on 3 months free instead of 12 months half price, so I called up, 3 minutes later I'd received credit to my account to balance it out as though I was getting it half price. 10/10!
  • Figgerty
    Figgerty Posts: 473 Forumite
    edited 24 June 2013 at 5:11PM
    Options
    Talk Talk phone and BB for £21.75 per month. This includes calls to 36 overseas countries, UK calls 24/7, caller display and a free router when the old one dies or gives trouble. All calls for up to an hour duration and calls to other TT customers up to two hours. Calls to 0870 and 0845 numbers are included in the package.

This deal is a reduction year on year, after negotiation. I use their Forum to resolve non urgent problems as some of their call centre staff are very hard work. In the past year I dealt with the forum once on slow speed issues and the call centre once when my router stopped working. I reported the problem at 16.00 on Thurs and had a new router delivered the following Mon at 10.00 (today).

I can get a further discount by paying line rental a year in advance.
    Some Burke bloke quote: all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to say nothing. :silenced:
  • ejv
    ejv Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone has experience with Primus broadband and phone?
  • simon1402
    Options
    Hello all,

I would appreciate some help and advice with the following...

I am currently on a contract with BT which includes a discount that I negotiated with them. This expires on 17th September BUT a little while alter than that I cottoned on to the line rental saver so this does not expire until 13th November.

I want to switch to a cheaper provider for unlimited broadband and am not bothered if I get any calls included in a bundle at all but if I switch before 13th November I will lose the line rental that I have paid in advance (D'oh!), so I will have to put up with paying BT's full price for my broadband for two months.

However I do not know how long in advance I should look for a deal and make the switch to ensure that it happens on 13th November. Any advice?

Thanks in advance,
    Simon
  • Fellwalker
    Options
    You compared broadband and had two different paragraphs, one entitled
    3. Is 'free BT Sport' with BT broadband a good deal?
    and the other

4. Are you busting your download limit?

But, don't forget that if you get BT TV with sport, you get YouView, you also get a YouView box (£199 normal cost) for £49 set up charge, and you also get ALL of the downloads done through YouView (catchup TV, films, etc) for free. They do NOT count towards your monthly limit.
  • sweed
    Options
    Was paying £50 a month tesco ultd calls £23 and virgin broadband £27 ultd
    now moved to bt unltd calls and broadband 6months free broadband
    then £31 a month plus bt sports 1&2 and espn.
    Been with virgin over 10 years 700kbs speed for £27they said that was the
    best they could do.
    If you are changing be aware your email will end with virgin so
    change to gmail or similer before you change or if you have booked
    flights or a holiday it may be best to wait because changing email can be a bit of hassle
  • Mountain_Man_2
    Options
    Something no-one seems to mention is the way that ISPs tie you in to their service as a result of non-transferable email addresses. It is so much of a hassle to tell all my/your email contacts of your new email address that it must put people off moving once they've tried it once. OK, I know there are ways of getting a portable email address, but that only works if you think of it before you get started.
    If you can retain landline and mobile phone numbers when you change supplier, why not for emails? How about this for a MSE campaign?

:(:(:(
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    Way back in a previous century, I found myself talking to a computing guru, he told me all about the future being what he called "thin client" computing, explaining that it was stupid to clutter up the then PCs and new fangled lap-tops with software and data junk that could be much better stored and maintained elsewhere on a massive shared server machine.
    Now that lots of people have little mobile phone gizmos that can use the interweb, it makes even less sense to not use what we now call "cloud" computing.

I have always kept my correspondence on a web mail service, though you do need more than one, to separate business from pleasure and spam from stuff your real friends send you, then you need some sort of back up just in case the CIA (no joke ?) hacks your correspondence.

If you want to join me in the 21st century and you share my real name, sorry I have bagged me on, rocketmail, hotmail and gmail.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure