We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

An update on me

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,804 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    mattpaint wrote: »
    Good lord. Could you offer some real advice to the OP rather than just trying to create drama?

Could you offer some real advice to the OP instead of continually running him down?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,804 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Jox wrote: »
    Can you listen to some music when you are out and about, maybe something calm and uplifting (or audio books) and as you will have earphones in you won't hear any comments from kids and maybe it will motivate you to walk further which is good for mood and health?

I'd usually say this was a great idea but if you're the sort of person who unfortunately seems to attract the attention of bullies (as the OP seems to be), it may not be a good idea to be distracted by music instead of being ready for trouble.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    "I neither smoke nor drink, do you think I cost you more in the health sense than someone who is a heavy drinker or smoker?"

Yes, smokers pay a lot more in tax than they cost the NHS.
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its about time people stopped tiptoeing around the obese issue. It needs tackling head-on, with less tact and fewer excuses. It is the modern version of smoking. People were shamed into giving up smoking
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    svain wrote: »
    Its about time people stopped tiptoeing around the obese issue. It needs tackling head-on, with less tact and fewer excuses. It is the modern version of smoking. People were shamed into giving up smoking

Now show me a scientific study where that worked long term. Worked for the obese people, that is, not the smug people with opinions but no facts.

Here's one which suggests you're wrong. It's by proper brainy people.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/29/fat-shaming-actually-makes-peoples-health-worse-study-pennsylvania/
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • svain
    edited 19 March 2018 at 9:00PM
    Options
    Now show me a scientific study where that worked long term. Worked for the obese people, that is, not the smug people with opinions but no facts.

Here's one which suggests you're wrong. It's by proper brainy people.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/29/fat-shaming-actually-makes-peoples-health-worse-study-pennsylvania/

One article does not make it conclusive .... I dont profess to be an expert, nor do i want to be one, but it doesnt mean i am not allowed my opinion in this, We as a society are enabling the obese epidemic the way its dealt with at the moment.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    svain wrote: »
    One article does not make it conclusive .... I dont profess to be an expert, nor do i want to be one, but it doesnt mean i am not allowed my opinion in this, We as a society are enabling the obese epidemic the way its dealt with at the moment

Multiple studies in the last decade conclude the same: that your opinions are toxic. You SHOULD educate yourself if your words are actively harmful.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • svain
    Options
    Multiple studies in the last decade conclude the same: that your opinions are toxic. You SHOULD educate yourself if your words are actively harmful.

You may believe all these multiple studies to be conclusive over the last decade but the reality begs to differ, as the situation continues to get worse. Spouting "toxic" and "harmful" because you dont like a differing opinion helps no-one
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I can only speak from my own experience, which is negative attitudes and condemnation just make me feel defeated and then I eat more. I need gentle encouragement and praise.

I am losing weight at the moment through eating differently and exercise. My husband has been brilliant, he is the cook in the family and has cooked me tasty low fat meals and encouraged me all the way.

I know being overweight is bad for my health. I don't need telling, or worse, called names.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • svain
    Options
    I can only speak from my own experience, which is negative attitudes and condemnation just make me feel defeated and then I eat more. I need gentle encouragement and praise.

I am losing weight at the moment through eating differently and exercise. My husband has been brilliant, he is the cook in the family and has cooked me tasty low fat meals and encouraged me all the way.

I know being overweight is bad for my health. I don't need telling, or worse, called names.

.... and that is great ... well done :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport