My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,299 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That seems a reasonable price for a new boiler, can't compare with what I paid almost 6 years ago because I had all new radiators and a new bathroom too. Best to have a brand new one now and get it over with than buy a reconditioned one that may let you down in a couple of years and end up back at square one. 

I started watching Stay Close on Saturday night. I love Harlen Coben's books, I think I've read most of them. Linwood Barclay is brilliant too, very similar style.

Look at you getting all fancy with your cooking, it did you good getting those Gousto boxes 😁
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Deni_debt-free_dreamer
    Options
    hi OBL
    hope you manage to get a Dr appointment, you have been suffering for so long now.
    Good to hear a reasonable boiler quote , i went away for the weekend and had switched off the heating and when i got back the house felt icy cold it was grim.
    those thrillers sound good!  I have stayed up to the small hours when i've been hooked on a drama so i will have to wait to the weekend ....
    love Deni
    LBM - October 2018; finally debt free on 16 March 2021
    2023 Mortgage Free Wannabee #92023 Mortgage free in March 23 !
    Decluttering Campaign member 2023🏅🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    Decluttering Campaign Member 2024 🏅🏅
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,799 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The boiler they all laugh at was a Heatline.  I've got a Worcester/Bosch now.  Meter reading day tomorrow to see how it is doing re costs.  What I should have done last year was note the daily temperature as it feels like this year has been a lot colder.  Of course it is colder the price has just gone shooting up!  Why is a bad financial year always connected to a bad weather year.
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    I paid something similar for my new boiler and it was an extra £100 for hive. 

Hopefully you get a Drs appointment x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    foxgloves said:
    Yes, I can understand your stance on a re-conditioned boiler, @Onebrokelady. From a safety point of view, it's important to have a viable warranty, etc. Infuriating to use your emergency fund, but at least you have saved some money for just such an emergency. It is a proper emergency too, most definitely a need.
    F x
    I am so glad I've actually got some money to pay for it even though it will wipe out all my savings. I wish this had happened earlier and I wouldn't have had my floors done 😟
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    That seems a reasonable price for a new boiler, can't compare with what I paid almost 6 years ago because I had all new radiators and a new bathroom too. Best to have a brand new one now and get it over with than buy a reconditioned one that may let you down in a couple of years and end up back at square one. 

I started watching Stay Close on Saturday night. I love Harlen Coben's books, I think I've read most of them. Linwood Barclay is brilliant too, very similar style.

Look at you getting all fancy with your cooking, it did you good getting those Gousto boxes 😁
    I thought it was quite reasonable too . I've never read any Harlen Coben books but think I might have to investigate now 
    The Gousto boxes have spoilt me now, we had the risotto tonight and it was yummy 😍
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    hi OBL
    hope you manage to get a Dr appointment, you have been suffering for so long now.
    Good to hear a reasonable boiler quote , i went away for the weekend and had switched off the heating and when i got back the house felt icy cold it was grim.
    those thrillers sound good!  I have stayed up to the small hours when i've been hooked on a drama so i will have to wait to the weekend ....
    love Deni
    I went out today and it felt warmer outside than it did in my house, it was lovely in the sun.
    I was going to start watching another drama tonight but thought I had better wait until it's my day off the next day just in case 😀
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    badmemory said:
    The boiler they all laugh at was a Heatline.  I've got a Worcester/Bosch now.  Meter reading day tomorrow to see how it is doing re costs.  What I should have done last year was note the daily temperature as it feels like this year has been a lot colder.  Of course it is colder the price has just gone shooting up!  Why is a bad financial year always connected to a bad weather year.
    Worcester/ Bosch boilers have a good reputation I think so hopefully it will be very efficient and last a long time 😊
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    I paid something similar for my new boiler and it was an extra £100 for hive. 

Hopefully you get a Drs appointment x
    I haven't got an appointment yet,I didn't wake up in time to call so will have to try again on Wednesday 
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    I didn't get an appointment today because I forgot to set my alarm so didn't wake up in time to phone at the free for all 8.30 time slot. I will try again on Wednesday which is my next day off.

I did manage to get my shopping apart from the chicken food as they didn't have any so will have to try again another day. It was a nice dry day today so I walked along the river to the shops, it was lovely in the sun 😍

I got an email from the heating people to say the boiler will cost £1,734 plus vat which will take it up to £2,080. I haven't got back to them yet because I am getting a second opinion.
    I went in the airing cupboard this morning and there was leaked water on the shelf under the boiler. I decided to see if the boiler would work so pressed the reset button and it came on for over an hour before cutting out again. I wisely ran round and hung every damp piece  of washing on every hot radiator that I could fit washing onto 😀 I left it for a couple of hours and tried it again and it came on again for another hour. I phoned a heating engineer who my friends husband knows and he is going to let me know tomorrow evening if he can come and look at it this week. I'm just not sure about the person who came out the other day and can't figure out why it worked for two days after the leak was fixed, the two guys who came and fixed the leak should surely have noticed if there was a major problem with the boiler when they checked to see if it was working properly 🤷‍♀️ I just don't want to pay for a new one if I can get this one fixed for now until I can save up more money for a new one, if this second guy says it's knackered I will definitely replace it but might ask him for a quote too.

I also got all the ironing done today including all the washing that was hanging on various radiators so at least that is all caught up. I've had to take all the bedding out of the airing cupboard though because the stuff on the top was wet along one edge where the boiler had leaked so that's all piled up in the corner of my bedroom now. 

Im working tomorrow 9-5 so will be warm for most of the day 🎉🎉🎉
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback