Options
1786787788789790792»

Comments

• Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    gollygosh said:
    I haven’t posted anything in years but here goes… I have a horse,  we adore her, but……
    livery £260 (diy)
    insurance £84
    shoes£60
    Jabs £20 ( flu/ tetanus/ hormone one
    dentist £15
    feed £20 very small amount
    saddle fitter £10 reflock = more
    tack replacements £20 she loves a new head collar
    hay £70 less in summer
    and a biggie at this time of the year bedding £155
    so that’s £714 a month at the moment!
    Plus daily visits oh and I forgot the £ 25 I give a teenager every week to feed and hang hay nets in the evening to save me one of the 28 mile round trips and another two hours of my day! Don’t get me wrong she’s worth every penny of it but that’s an awful lot of no hassle lessons 🙂
    I get up at 5.15 to make it work and get home at 5.30 ( squeeze 6 hours work in between) the summers are glorious but the winters are pretty grim to be honest, car’s permanently full of mud and bits of hay and no matter how ill you are you’ve got to go.
    I’m not trying to put you off just to give you a true picture. And just one more thing mines pretty healthy but even she had a vet call out this year costing £468 ( no insurance pay out as it was an old issue) my daughters horse cost tens of thousands in vets bills! 

Oh well won't be doing that then 😟
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,049 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I haven't worked out percentages of what is unarguably a lot of money, but some of those costs and stresses are to do with living further away from the horse. Travel time of 14 hours a week or pay the teenager £25, and fuel costs on top of that. I don't know whether there's a variation in different regions, but I'm sure that if you could stable a horse and find pasture locally, you would shave a bit off costs. I'm not suggesting cutting corners on care, of course.

Is there any way you could do shared ownership?
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    I haven't worked out percentages of what is unarguably a lot of money, but some of those costs and stresses are to do with living further away from the horse. Travel time of 14 hours a week or pay the teenager £25, and fuel costs on top of that. I don't know whether there's a variation in different regions, but I'm sure that if you could stable a horse and find pasture locally, you would shave a bit off costs. I'm not suggesting cutting corners on care, of course.

Is there any way you could do shared ownership?
    Thank you Cherry for your optimistic and helpfully kind reply. I would look into sharing with someone as that would be perfect. The only problem is they are usually too far away from me so not so flexible. I do have a choice of two local livery places that aren't too far from me so wouldn't be traveling that far it would be a bus ride but I have my pass so no extra cost to me. As for time I have time every day to do this and as I know from experience keeping a horse is a massive commitment but it's worth it for the enjoyment you get from it. 
    Anyway like I said in my reply it is only a dream and will probably never happen but thinking it's a possibility is doing wonders for my mental health. Everyone should have a dream even if it seems unattainable 😊
  • gollygosh
    gollygosh Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I’m so sorry if I caused any upset that wasn’t my intention at all.
    yes my livery is a bit more expensive, I’ve paid a bit less elsewhere but getting help meant paying a lot more (had to pay yard owner and no one else) so that’s swings and roundabouts. I’m in the south east corner so land is at a premium and liveries are expensive and decent ones are few and far between. I’ve had one leather head collar chewed to destruction by a fox and she rubbed and caught one on a tie ring breaking it. Yes I could buy nylon ones but I prefer to have leather because it will break! Rather than her being caught up. Bedding costs have more than doubled.
    Again I really didn’t want to cause upset, and I’m genuinely very sorry if I have, best I go back to never posting.
    Time, Tide and Diarrhoea wait for no man. ;)
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    I've started a new diary if anyone fancies looking me up. I don't know how to do links 😀
  • MFWannabe
    MFWannabe Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    MFWannabe said:
    Yay thank you so much . My DD would be rolling her eyes at me now 😂😂
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback