My journey to a debt free life

in Debt Free Diaries
6.7K replies 357K views

Replies

• badmemorybadmemory Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    When my heating boiler went terminal in late November I only had one fan heater & the oven.  I was totally wasteful and had the oven on with the door open, cooking nothing.
    The boiler wasn't really terminal but was going to cost so much to repair & could have gone with something else the next week that a new boiler seemed sensible.  At least people don't burst out laughing at the make of my new one like they did with the old.
  • Seasidegal58Seasidegal58 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'm so sorry to hear of the ongoing palaver with the boiler OBL. I hope the plumber gets back to you pronto and the crawl hole is ok. 
    It was nice that your Butter Chicken meal turned out the same as when you were actually using the Gousto boxes. These 'home made Gousto' meals should certainly save you some pennies compared to the subscription. 👍
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • DrawingalineDrawingaline Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I hope the leak is easy to find! Our thermostat went one February, remember that was cold. We had an electric heater and only heated one room and kept the doors shut. I am used to a cold bedroom (prefer it with my allergies) so less of an issue. 
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Sunshine_girl2Sunshine_girl2 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I hope the heating is sorted quickly for you, it's been very cold here today. Good idea to reduce your hours for a short time or permanently if it helps your health. 
    Debt free April 26th 2021

• Humdinger1Humdinger1 Forumite
    789 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    foxgloves said:
    So sorry to hear about your heating, OBL. Honestly, don't heating systems just always pick a cold snap for going sick? Just typical. Hope the problem is somewhere accessible. Fingers crossed here for you.
    I'm sure you're already doing this, but don't underestimate the warming powers of a hot water bottle tucked up behind your back when you're on the sofa under a blanket. 
    Hope it gets fixed soon. 
    F x
    Ooh yes; addicted to the hot Warty, as it's known here!  The cosiness is unbelievable.  Agree re systems packing up when most needed. The companies selling emergency insurance never have enough people I find....keep going OBL, you're doing fabulously well.  Love Humdinger x 
  • amber03amber03 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    Usually if you have no heating in winter you are treated as a priority. Maybe there are a lot of people who have no heating in your area. On Xmas eve our central heating kept tripping our electrics. Thankfully a friends dad has his own company ( and did put us in a new boiler 2 years ago). So quickly rang him for advice. He told us of a quick fix so we didn’t have to call one of his engineers out and be landed with a big bill. Have now found what the problem was and have been able to fix it ourselves. Hope you are sorted out and have heating soon.xx
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j
    3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £105.45
  • CherryfudgeCherryfudge Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Another option to take the edge off the cold is to use a slow cooker, either with food in or heating water. They are supposed to be very cheap to run, but I don't know how far the heat spreads.

I also ran an empty oven when starting to clear my parents' house and the gas boiler wasn't working.
    Fashion on the Ration challenge: 20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
    Toiletries used up 20/180.
  • edited 11 January at 1:16PM
    HairyHandofDartmoorHairyHandofDartmoor Forumite
    13.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 11 January at 1:16PM
    Sorry about your lack of heating OBL. Do you have no hot water either? Our boiler packed up once and we couldn't afford a new one for two months . Luckily it was the summer but cold showers were the worst! At the moment we only have the heating on for an hour in the morning if it's really cold and occasionally for an hour in the evening if our hands start to go numb (to save money of course), but I would feel awful without a hot shower!

It's good news that you can trial shorter hours at work by the way.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £415/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £275. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £250.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 8 MONTHS
  • amber03amber03 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    Cold showers and baths are all the fashion now, supposed to be good for the skin and mind.xx
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j
    3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £105.45
  • amber03 said:
    Cold showers and baths are all the fashion now, supposed to be good for the skin and mind.xx
    They weren't good for my mind Amber as hot showers relax me, but I'd come out of the cold showers feeling really tense and grumpy  😂.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £415/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £275. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £250.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 8 MONTHS