My journey to a debt free life

in Debt free diaries
6.7K replies 360.9K views

Replies

• OnebrokeladyOnebrokelady Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    New Years was a cold one due to my boiler packing up 😡 I'm just glad the weather has been so mild because we have had no heating or hot water since New Year's Eve 😟 I have left a message with a heating engineer to get back to me to come and repair it but haven't heard anything possibly due to it being New Years weekend. I do have two halogen heaters so have got them out of the loft. I've got one in the living room and DD has got one in her room but the rest of the hose is cold. I'm hoping I will be able to get hold of someone tomorrow 🤞

Im back at work tomorrow on an early and I need to go shopping afterwards because we need some normal healthy food. I am going to recreate two of the Gousto meals we had which were a Plant Based No Butter Chicken with rice and a Butternut Squash Biriyani, we are having the plant based chicken tomorrow and the Biriyani on Wednesday

I am getting back to calorie counting as well,so far I've only put on 1.5lbs from Christmas/ New year but I'm not sure that's an accurate weight. My home scales are accurate normally but I can't believe I've only put on that amount of weight. I am going to weigh myself again in the morning to see if it's changed. My clothes don't feel any different so maybe it's right. My SW meeting started again tonight but I didn't feel like going, I'm not sure if I will go back to that meeting or if I will just use Nutracheck seeing as it works so well. There is another meeting on a Wednesday morning that I might try but I will think about it. I do prefer to weigh in in the morning so that one might suit me better.

Ive also done my finances today. It will be a tight month due to me being off sick last month and not earning any unsocial hours but I have enough to cover everything. I did have some of the Christmas savings left but B was ill so ended up at the vets on Christmas Eve having a scan and some blood tests, thankfully nothing bad showed up but she does have to have more bloods in a weeks time. The Christmas savings leftovers have paid for that. DD did say tonight that she is going to pay for half of it and for half of the Christmas food which is nice of her 

I also have a meeting about my sickness levels tomorrow because of being off sick with my leg. The leg is still no better and this week I have started to get a shooting pain at the base of my spine into the left side so I'm not sure what that's about. I haven't been able to get a GP appointment due to them prioritising Covid boosters but will try again this week
    I am thinking of trialling another cut in hours so that I don't do my long day but instead do three 8 hour shifts. I've been doing this the whole of December but have used AL to make up the hours, I've now used up the unbooked AL that I had left so am going to ask to trial it for a couple more months so I can see how it would affect my earnings while I still have DDs money coming in then I will be able to see if I can afford to live on that money plus if my leg improves I can just go back to doing my one long day a week.

Im off on Wednesday so will be spending the day taking down the decorations and tree 😫😫 and having a good clean and tidy. I'm hoping that I will be able to get someone out to look at the boiler on Wednesday too 🤞🤞🤞

I am also going to try to remember to record my NSDs again from January the 1st, so far this month I have had three because I haven't been anywhere apart from out with the dog 😊 I have a lot to do to the house still so will be saving and spending money on that but I am going to try to not waste any money anywhere else
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £4,954.23 Owed = £12,675.77
    Emergency Fund = £640 Xmas savings = £0
    House Fund = £0
  • CherryfudgeCherryfudge Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Happy new year! Sorry to hear B was poorly and the boiler has packed up. :( 
    Great that you had the surplus in your Christmas savings to help with B. Hopefully someone will be out soon to fix it.

Great too that your daughter is helping out with Christmas expenses.

I hope all goes well with your meeting at work.
    Fashion on the Ration challenge: 20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
    Toiletries used up 20/180.
  • milannmilann Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The cat looks very settled 😻
    Hope you get the heating sorted soon and it isn’t too costly.
    I makes sense to try fewer hours if you can manage it. Nothing worse than having to work through pain.

• WinterWarriorWinterWarrior Forumite
    4K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    What a lovely cat. You can see he/she is warm by the stretchy toes ♥️
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    Tilly Tidy to mortgage for 2022 = £446.54
    my diary..everyone is welcome 😁 https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1
  • Seasidegal58Seasidegal58 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Love your cat!😻
    I'm sorry to hear that you're without heating and hot water - what a pain even though it has been mild. I hope you get it sorted ASAP. 
    Fingers crossed all goes well at your work meeting. 🤞
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Deni_debt-free_dreamerDeni_debt-free_dreamer Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    hi OBL
    that's a lovely tranquil picture of your cat :) I hope you get the boiler fixed soon, it has got colder here today after being mild over the weekend.  Sorry to hear your leg is painful again too.  Not the best start to the year for you.
    Good luck with NSDs, i record mine in my signature otherwise i lose track!
    love Deni
    LBM - October 2018; finally debt free on 16 March 2021 !
    NST August NSD 3
    2022 Mortgage Free Wannabee #81
    2022 Decluttering Campaign member
  • Willowtree222Willowtree222 Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Did you manage to get heating? It’s been colder today so hopefully you have x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Happy new year! Sorry to hear B was poorly and the boiler has packed up. :( 
    Great that you had the surplus in your Christmas savings to help with B. Hopefully someone will be out soon to fix it.

Great too that your daughter is helping out with Christmas expenses.

I hope all goes well with your meeting at work.
    Thanks Cherry ,my meeting was ok 😊
    House Fund = £0
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    milann said:
    The cat looks very settled 😻
    Hope you get the heating sorted soon and it isn’t too costly.
    I makes sense to try fewer hours if you can manage it. Nothing worse than having to work through pain.

Heating is not fixed and I'm not sure how much it's going to cost. Both the cats were asleep in front of the heater today 😀
    House Fund = £0