My journey to a debt free life

Comments

• Hi OBL
    sorry to hear about the continuing problems with the boiler. Thank goodness you have an electric shower!  I had a quote for a new boiler last autumn from BG which was just over £3k which i didn't think was too scary.  It did include a £400 (?) discount but i was expecting a much higher figure.  
    love Deni
    LBM - October 2018; finally debt free on 16 March 2021
    2023 Mortgage Free Wannabee #92023 Mortgage free in March 23 !
    Decluttering Campaign member 2023🏅🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    Decluttering Campaign Member 2024 🏅🏅
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,495
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oh no….can’t be much fun being cold. At least a shiny new boiler will keep you warm. Are you going to get a hive control so you can put it on remotely. I find it saved us a fair bit in the long term. Not sure how much extra it puts on the price of the boiler. We paid £100 and Dh fitted most of it….an engineer did some too when he was repairing our boiler.
    January spends - £587.58
  • amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,238
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    A cold and damp house isn’t very good this time of year. Fingers crossed they can fit you in and get it sorted before the weather gets any worse. Sadly it always seems to be this time of year things like this stop working, just a couple of more months and it wouldn’t have been so bad for you. Good luck.xx
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 10,993
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    @Onebrokelady - I don't know if this is possible because of things like warranties, but could your heating engineer get hold of a reconditioned boiler for you? The reason I mention this is because when we had our heating upgrade in 2020, we had to have a different type of boiler. Our existing one was removed & skipped. It wasnt very old & I know it just got picked up as scrap by the local metal salvage truck. It was in absolutely perfect working order, I had all the instructions & warranty for it. It occurred to me that there maybe people who safety check & sell pre-owned boilers as they are usually quite a significant outlay.
    Just a thought. 
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Hi OBL
    sorry to hear about the continuing problems with the boiler. Thank goodness you have an electric shower!  I had a quote for a new boiler last autumn from BG which was just over £3k which i didn't think was too scary.  It did include a £400 (?) discount but i was expecting a much higher figure.  
    love Deni
    I've been roughly quoted £1700 plus vat,it will be more than that but that was a rough guide. I can afford it but it will wipe out most of my savings, I've got my emergency fund and there's still some money in the house fund that I was going to put towards the kitchen floor but that will have to wait now 
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,050.1 Owed = £11,579.90
  • milann said:
    Oh no….can’t be much fun being cold. At least a shiny new boiler will keep you warm. Are you going to get a hive control so you can put it on remotely. I find it saved us a fair bit in the long term. Not sure how much extra it puts on the price of the boiler. We paid £100 and Dh fitted most of it….an engineer did some too when he was repairing our boiler.
    Probably not going to get a Hive control as I have to do it as cheaply as possible,this is going to wipe out all of my emergency fund so I need to try and economise 
  • foxgloves said:
    @Onebrokelady - I don't know if this is possible because of things like warranties, but could your heating engineer get hold of a reconditioned boiler for you? The reason I mention this is because when we had our heating upgrade in 2020, we had to have a different type of boiler. Our existing one was removed & skipped. It wasnt very old & I know it just got picked up as scrap by the local metal salvage truck. It was in absolutely perfect working order, I had all the instructions & warranty for it. It occurred to me that there maybe people who safety check & sell pre-owned boilers as they are usually quite a significant outlay.
    Just a thought. 
    F x
    Hi thanks Foxgloves,I went and looked into second hand or reconditioned boilers tonight and it is doable but you have to have an engineer willing to fit it and it would not be covered by a warranty. I'm not sure I would feel safe with a used boiler and it is going to need to last me a long time so I would rather go for a new one. It's not as bad as it could have been,at least I don't have to put it on a credit card and my lovely DD2 also offered to put some money towards it. I have told her no to paying towards it unless it's a loan, I should have enough money to pay for it with my emergency  fund and the small amount of savings I've got, so long as nothing else happens that needs a large amount of money at the same time. I would have had more but B had a fairly large vet bill just before Christmas   and her insurance won't pay because it's classed as a pre existing condition 
  • Had a really nice shift at work today and it was lovely and warm at work 😀

Im off tomorrow and have a list of jobs to get through. I need to phone my GP to see if I can get an appointment about my leg because it's not getting better, I've been in agony for most of the day so need some advice in what to try next.

I also need to go shopping for ingredients to make some meals from the Gousto recipes, I think I just need a couple of leeks and some rocket. We had Bang Bang Chicken with rice salad tonight and it was lovely. Tomorrow's meal with either be a risotto or a pasta dish 😍😍I had my usual home made oven chips and breaded Quorn fillet for tea the other day and I didn't enjoy it at all, I've been spoilt now and like nice food 😂

I have a small pile of ironing to do and some washing,the washing is having to be planned really carefully or I can't get it all dry. I need some really windy dry weather but currently have cold damp foggy weather instead. I did notice it was still light at 4.45pm today so it's getting lighter 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

I also have the usual cleaning to do and I might clean my kitchen window tomorrow as well.

While I'm out at the shops I need to see if I can pick up some chicken feed,they have enough to last until Wednesday which is my next day off but I want o try and get it tomorrow in case I can't get out on Wednesday . One of the 🐓🐓is still diligently laying an egg most days which still amazes me but I do wish she would retire so her body can have a rest, neither of them are spring chickens anymore and they both deserve to chill out in their old age😍
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,267
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 January 2022 at 12:01AM
    I forgot to post about my current book. I got a book a few years ago called Rotherweird and I loved it, a second one came out which was also  bought for me but by the time I had decided to read it the third had come out in hardback so I waited for that one to come out in paperback. I put it on my Christmas list so I now have all three. I'm reading book one again because I couldn't remember what happened, it's such a good story 😊 

I have also been watching thrillers on Netflix. I started with Stay Close which I watched over two nights then I decided to watch The stranger as it's written by the same person,I enjoyed that so much I actually binge watched the whole 8 episodes on Friday night. I was so drawn in I couldn't wait to see what happened next, I didn't get to bed until 2 am 🙀🙀 there is another one that I want watch but I need to plan it so I'm not working the next day in case I get drawn in 😂😂
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 10,993
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes, I can understand your stance on a re-conditioned boiler, @Onebrokelady. From a safety point of view, it's important to have a viable warranty, etc. Infuriating to use your emergency fund, but at least you have saved some money for just such an emergency. It is a proper emergency too, most definitely a need.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback