My journey to a debt free life

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,788
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hooray for some heat and dry washing! I think the second opinion is a wise idea.
    Fashion on the Ration challenge: 20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22Toiletries used up 27/188.
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 10,994
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Agree about the 2nd opinion, @Onebrokelady. If you could even limp it on for another 6 months or so, it'd give you a chance to save a bit more towards a new one. People do miss things. We had a plumber (he's also a professional heating/gas engineer) out to investigate our lack of hot water a few years back. He said the problem was our kitchen tap & advised us to get a new one, which he fitted. It didn't cure the problem. I got someone else in for a 2nd opinion, & he diagnosed that the boiler was on its last legs. So a new boiler was fitted. We also had our original kitchen tap put back on, as there'd been nothing wrong with it. This rather begs the question of how a qualified gas fitter/plumber missed a knackered boiler, esp as we told him the water in the bathroom wasn't very hot either. Things can get missed, that's why a 2nd opinion can be worth seeking. If another engineer tells you it's knackered, then so be it, but it could be worth just asking, I agree.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Sorry about your leak OBL. I agree about getting a second opinion. Harlan Coban tv series and books are always brilliant and compulsive. I watched Rules of the Game recently beebeecee iplayer which is also very compulsive viewing.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,267
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    The heating guy hasn't called this evening like he said he would so I guess I'm not getting a second opinion from him then😟 I just wish they would say at the outset that they don't want the job because I could have phoned someone else
    The annoying thing is he could have come today but I was working and couldn't take the day off but when I got to work the person who I was coverings study day had been cancelled so I could have taken the day off in the first place if I had known 

I also got a message from DD1 to say that she has Covid along with DGS1 🙄 I think it safe to say that I am done with 2022 and it only January 🙀I'm off to bed now because I am in too much pain to be awake and I actually can't keep my eyes open 😴
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,050.1 Owed = £11,579.90
  • amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,238
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    We’re the same about getting tradesmen in. Tried to have a small extension done on the bathroom, had 2 people in to give us a quote but neither got back to us or returned our phone calls. Then decided to have the driveway done. Only one person came out to give us a quote which was double what we thought it was. Now trying to get a quote just to have our original bathroom gutted and redone. Again had one person visit for a quote and still waiting for it. We have the money but just don’t seem to be getting anywhere. Think OH is going to do the bathroom now, so plenty of swearing and lost tempers in the future.xx
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,788
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The heating guy hasn't called this evening like he said he would so I guess I'm not getting a second opinion from him then😟 I just wish they would say at the outset that they don't want the job because I could have phoned someone else
    The annoying thing is he could have come today but I was working and couldn't take the day off but when I got to work the person who I was coverings study day had been cancelled so I could have taken the day off in the first place if I had known 

I also got a message from DD1 to say that she has Covid along with DGS1 🙄 I think it safe to say that I am done with 2022 and it only January 🙀I'm off to bed now because I am in too much pain to be awake and I actually can't keep my eyes open 😴
    We've had the same with getting smallish jobs done - next to impossible. DH ended up doing guttering against his better judgement and also repaired a flat roof, so he's saved us a lot. He's currently working on damp in the corner of the hall, but drew the line at tiling. In the end my friend's husband did it for us as it was a tricky surface and he's a builder - but I don't think he would have if I'd been a stranger!

I think we should declare that a false start to 2022, it can have another go in February and see if it can do better.

I hope you can get some good sleep and your DD and her son are okay.
    Fashion on the Ration challenge: 20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22Toiletries used up 27/188.
  • Oh dear what a start to 2022. I hope you feel better soon, someone gets back to you with a good boiler quote and DD and DGS don't feel too unwell.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,934
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Sorry your new year has started so badly.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,267
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Still no boiler and no prospect of getting a new one any time soon. I phoned the company that gave me the quote to replace the boiler and they didn't know when they would be available so said they would look at the diary and phone me back today, surprise surprise they didn't phone back. They emailed me on Wednesday asking if I wanted to go ahead and I mailed them straight back and said yes so I've been waiting for them to get back to me, I decided to phone them today as I'm wasting time waiting for them to contact me and they have let me down yet again

I got hold of another company who sent someone out and he also told me I need a new boiler they quoted £800 more than the first company and they want to fit another Glow worm boiler so I told them no too. I have now run out of options I've called three different people today and non of them can do it or they say they will get back to you and don't. 

The house is freezing and everything is damp,there is condensation running down the doors and windows and my lovely new floor is getting wet. I've put towels down to soak it up but I can't get them dry so that's not a good option. There is also wet washing that won't dry .

I went to work yesterday but had to come home because I was ill with a stomach bug, I'm still ill today so can't go to work tomorrow so I will now be put on formal sickness monitoring 

I would have been meeting friends today for coffee but couldn't go due to being ill so I spent the day at home freezing my backside off trying to find a reliable plumber 
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,050.1 Owed = £11,579.90
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 10,994
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    So sorry to hear this, @Onebrokelady. It's just absolutely the worst time of year to have this kind of problem. Could anyone lend you a decent dehumidifier to help with the condensation problem just until the boiler problem is sorted? They can take a surprisingly large amount of moisture out of the air. It's infuriating being let down by workmen when you so desperately need the job doing. I really hope you get a lucky break with this soon & that you start to feel better soon too.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback