in Debt Free Diaries
6.6K replies 350K views

Replies

• OnebrokeladyOnebrokelady Forumite
    6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi OBL
    hope you manage to get a Dr appointment, you have been suffering for so long now.
    Good to hear a reasonable boiler quote , i went away for the weekend and had switched off the heating and when i got back the house felt icy cold it was grim.
    those thrillers sound good!  I have stayed up to the small hours when i've been hooked on a drama so i will have to wait to the weekend ....
    love Deni
    I went out today and it felt warmer outside than it did in my house, it was lovely in the sun.
    I was going to start watching another drama tonight but thought I had better wait until it's my day off the next day just in case 😀
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £4,864.23 Owed = £12,765.77
    Emergency Fund = £500 Xmas savings = £0
    House Fund = £0
    6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    badmemory said:
    The boiler they all laugh at was a Heatline.  I've got a Worcester/Bosch now.  Meter reading day tomorrow to see how it is doing re costs.  What I should have done last year was note the daily temperature as it feels like this year has been a lot colder.  Of course it is colder the price has just gone shooting up!  Why is a bad financial year always connected to a bad weather year.
    Worcester/ Bosch boilers have a good reputation I think so hopefully it will be very efficient and last a long time 😊
    House Fund = £0
    6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I paid something similar for my new boiler and it was an extra £100 for hive. 

Hopefully you get a Drs appointment x
    I haven't got an appointment yet,I didn't wake up in time to call so will have to try again on Wednesday 
    House Fund = £0
    6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't get an appointment today because I forgot to set my alarm so didn't wake up in time to phone at the free for all 8.30 time slot. I will try again on Wednesday which is my next day off.

I did manage to get my shopping apart from the chicken food as they didn't have any so will have to try again another day. It was a nice dry day today so I walked along the river to the shops, it was lovely in the sun 😍

I got an email from the heating people to say the boiler will cost £1,734 plus vat which will take it up to £2,080. I haven't got back to them yet because I am getting a second opinion.
    I went in the airing cupboard this morning and there was leaked water on the shelf under the boiler. I decided to see if the boiler would work so pressed the reset button and it came on for over an hour before cutting out again. I wisely ran round and hung every damp piece  of washing on every hot radiator that I could fit washing onto 😀 I left it for a couple of hours and tried it again and it came on again for another hour. I phoned a heating engineer who my friends husband knows and he is going to let me know tomorrow evening if he can come and look at it this week. I'm just not sure about the person who came out the other day and can't figure out why it worked for two days after the leak was fixed, the two guys who came and fixed the leak should surely have noticed if there was a major problem with the boiler when they checked to see if it was working properly 🤷‍♀️ I just don't want to pay for a new one if I can get this one fixed for now until I can save up more money for a new one, if this second guy says it's knackered I will definitely replace it but might ask him for a quote too.

I also got all the ironing done today including all the washing that was hanging on various radiators so at least that is all caught up. I've had to take all the bedding out of the airing cupboard though because the stuff on the top was wet along one edge where the boiler had leaked so that's all piled up in the corner of my bedroom now. 

Im working tomorrow 9-5 so will be warm for most of the day 🎉🎉🎉
    House Fund = £0
  • CherryfudgeCherryfudge Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hooray for some heat and dry washing! I think the second opinion is a wise idea.
    Fashion on the Ration challenge: 20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
    Toiletries used up 24/181.
  • foxglovesfoxgloves Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree about the 2nd opinion, @Onebrokelady. If you could even limp it on for another 6 months or so, it'd give you a chance to save a bit more towards a new one. People do miss things. We had a plumber (he's also a professional heating/gas engineer) out to investigate our lack of hot water a few years back. He said the problem was our kitchen tap & advised us to get a new one, which he fitted. It didn't cure the problem. I got someone else in for a 2nd opinion, & he diagnosed that the boiler was on its last legs. So a new boiler was fitted. We also had our original kitchen tap put back on, as there'd been nothing wrong with it. This rather begs the question of how a qualified gas fitter/plumber missed a knackered boiler, esp as we told him the water in the bathroom wasn't very hot either. Things can get missed, that's why a 2nd opinion can be worth seeking. If another engineer tells you it's knackered, then so be it, but it could be worth just asking, I agree.
    F x
    "Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only the moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake".
    Sir Francis Bacon 1561 - 1626 (Philosopher & statesman)
  • HairyHandofDartmoorHairyHandofDartmoor Forumite
    13.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry about your leak OBL. I agree about getting a second opinion. Harlan Coban tv series and books are always brilliant and compulsive. I watched Rules of the Game recently beebeecee iplayer which is also very compulsive viewing.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £415/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £275. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £250.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 8 MONTHS
    6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The heating guy hasn't called this evening like he said he would so I guess I'm not getting a second opinion from him then😟 I just wish they would say at the outset that they don't want the job because I could have phoned someone else
    The annoying thing is he could have come today but I was working and couldn't take the day off but when I got to work the person who I was coverings study day had been cancelled so I could have taken the day off in the first place if I had known 

I also got a message from DD1 to say that she has Covid along with DGS1 🙄 I think it safe to say that I am done with 2022 and it only January 🙀I'm off to bed now because I am in too much pain to be awake and I actually can't keep my eyes open 😴
    House Fund = £0
  • amber03amber03 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    We’re the same about getting tradesmen in. Tried to have a small extension done on the bathroom, had 2 people in to give us a quote but neither got back to us or returned our phone calls. Then decided to have the driveway done. Only one person came out to give us a quote which was double what we thought it was. Now trying to get a quote just to have our original bathroom gutted and redone. Again had one person visit for a quote and still waiting for it. We have the money but just don’t seem to be getting anywhere. Think OH is going to do the bathroom now, so plenty of swearing and lost tempers in the future.xx
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j
    3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £105.45
  • CherryfudgeCherryfudge Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The heating guy hasn't called this evening like he said he would so I guess I'm not getting a second opinion from him then😟 I just wish they would say at the outset that they don't want the job because I could have phoned someone else
    The annoying thing is he could have come today but I was working and couldn't take the day off but when I got to work the person who I was coverings study day had been cancelled so I could have taken the day off in the first place if I had known 

I also got a message from DD1 to say that she has Covid along with DGS1 🙄 I think it safe to say that I am done with 2022 and it only January 🙀I'm off to bed now because I am in too much pain to be awake and I actually can't keep my eyes open 😴
    We've had the same with getting smallish jobs done - next to impossible. DH ended up doing guttering against his better judgement and also repaired a flat roof, so he's saved us a lot. He's currently working on damp in the corner of the hall, but drew the line at tiling. In the end my friend's husband did it for us as it was a tricky surface and he's a builder - but I don't think he would have if I'd been a stranger!

I think we should declare that a false start to 2022, it can have another go in February and see if it can do better.

I hope you can get some good sleep and your DD and her son are okay.
    Fashion on the Ration challenge: 20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
    Toiletries used up 24/181.