My journey to a debt free life

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,788
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    That's terrible OBL. :( Sending hugs... I wish we were local and you could come round here.

I see dehumidifiers are also available for hire, would that be an option? I bought a very small one a few years ago and it makes a big difference to the air quality upstairs, but I don't think it would be effective in more than one room.

It's really tough about the sickness monitoring especially as you've tried so hard to keep going in and this isn't your main condition. Does it make any difference if you are sent home? You can't stay with a stomach bug, I know.
    Fashion on the Ration challenge: 20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22Toiletries used up 27/188.
  • Morning OBL
    So sorry to hear your struggles with getting a new boiler.  Would BG be an option?  I got a mailshot from them about getting a new boiler although i do have the service plan with them so i'm already a customer.  My parents (in their 70s/80s) have been without heating since before Xmas as BG is waiting for a part before they can get their boiler repaired.  I hope you feel a bit better today
    Hugs
    LBM - October 2018; finally debt free on 16 March 2021
    2023 Mortgage Free Wannabee #92023 Mortgage free in March 23 !
    Decluttering Campaign member 2023🏅🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    Decluttering Campaign Member 2024 🏅🏅
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,030
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What an absolutely dire start to the year. What a nightmare you’re having with the boiler. I know tradesmen are very difficult to get hold of at the minute, especially heating engineers. Is it worth looking into a bigger company like BG or Boxt? I went with BG service plan for my boiler, the bloke who fitted it wanted me to stay with him but he’s really difficult to get hold of and at least I know BG would come out straightaway. 

Good idea about hiring a dehumidifier as you could get a good industrial one that would dry out your house and your washing at the same time. 

Sorry to hear you’re not well too, annoying about the sickness monitoring when it’s something genuine. 

I really hope you can get something sorted out soon 🙏🤞
    Christmas Savings 2024 £218.29/£600 March NSD:3 March Surveys £
  • That’s so horrible, you’d think there would be measures in place to stop people being without heating and hot water for so long. Do you have plug in heaters? I know they aren’t cheap to run, but it would make a big difference in the short term.
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £900 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 1lb so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

• Delurking to comment on the boiler situation, I would highly recommend Boxt.

We woke up in the early hours of a Sunday morning last summer to the sound of all the water leaking from the bottom of the boiler. Went on Boxt website at 815 and by 8am the next day the boiler had been delivered and the engineers had arrived. All fitted by 2pm.

The prices are very clear on the website and there were no hidden extras, the after care service was also excellent (no I don't work for them 😉).

Hope you don't mind me commenting but just wanted to let you know that there are other options if you're struggling to get the boiler situation resolved 😊
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,495
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I’m sorry to hear about the boiler shenanigans. It’s no fun being cold…..especially so for you as it affects your condition so much. It must be a nightmare with wet washing…..not sure if it’s an option, but do you have a laundrette where you could get the washing dry….just to stop the dampness in the house…..which could cause damage to both the house and your health.
    January spends - £587.58
  • foxgloves said:
    So sorry to hear this, @Onebrokelady. It's just absolutely the worst time of year to have this kind of problem. Could anyone lend you a decent dehumidifier to help with the condensation problem just until the boiler problem is sorted? They can take a surprisingly large amount of moisture out of the air. It's infuriating being let down by workmen when you so desperately need the job doing. I really hope you get a lucky break with this soon & that you start to feel better soon too.
    F x
    Hi Foxgloves. I've got a dehumidifier and have been using it but it's a bit localised so I have to move it around the house,it copes with a normal amount of condensation but this is excessive. I think it's the combination of using halogen heaters and it being freezing cold everywhere that is causing the problem.
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,050.1 Owed = £11,579.90
  • That's terrible OBL. :( Sending hugs... I wish we were local and you could come round here.

I see dehumidifiers are also available for hire, would that be an option? I bought a very small one a few years ago and it makes a big difference to the air quality upstairs, but I don't think it would be effective in more than one room.

It's really tough about the sickness monitoring especially as you've tried so hard to keep going in and this isn't your main condition. Does it make any difference if you are sent home? You can't stay with a stomach bug, I know.
    Awww thanks Cherry , I keep looking in peoples windows and they all look so warm 😀 like I said to Foxgloves I have got a dehumidifier but it's only a 12 litre model which is fine for normal circumstances but this is too much for it to cope with, I normally only use it upstairs to keep damp at bay and it does a brilliant job but it can't cope with a whole house. I will bring it downstairs tomorrow and see how it goes .

The sickness thing is just really bad timing, it doesn't make any difference if you are sent home the only things that is exempt is Covid 
  • Morning OBL
    So sorry to hear your struggles with getting a new boiler.  Would BG be an option?  I got a mailshot from them about getting a new boiler although i do have the service plan with them so i'm already a customer.  My parents (in their 70s/80s) have been without heating since before Xmas as BG is waiting for a part before they can get their boiler repaired.  I hope you feel a bit better today
    Hugs
    I used to be with BG and had a service plan with them but they let me down really badly the last time my boiler packed up and I ended up paying for someone else to come and fix it anyway, I'm not with them anymore and they are too expensive 
  • What an absolutely dire start to the year. What a nightmare you’re having with the boiler. I know tradesmen are very difficult to get hold of at the minute, especially heating engineers. Is it worth looking into a bigger company like BG or Boxt? I went with BG service plan for my boiler, the bloke who fitted it wanted me to stay with him but he’s really difficult to get hold of and at least I know BG would come out straightaway. 

Good idea about hiring a dehumidifier as you could get a good industrial one that would dry out your house and your washing at the same time. 

Sorry to hear you’re not well too, annoying about the sickness monitoring when it’s something genuine. 

I really hope you can get something sorted out soon 🙏🤞
    Don't bank on BG coming out straight away, last time I had a service plan with them they let me down and I ended up having to pay someone else to fix the boiler even though I was paying them for the plan 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback