in Debt Free Diaries
6.7K replies 357.9K views

Replies

• OnebrokeladyOnebrokelady Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    What a lovely cat. You can see he/she is warm by the stretchy toes ♥️
    Thanks, he is obsessed with the heater and has singed his nose from sitting too close 🙄
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £4,954.23 Owed = £12,675.77
    Emergency Fund = £640 Xmas savings = £0
    House Fund = £0
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Love your cat!😻
    I'm sorry to hear that you're without heating and hot water - what a pain even though it has been mild. I hope you get it sorted ASAP. 
    Fingers crossed all goes well at your work meeting. 🤞
    Thanks my work meeting was ok but the boiler is not sorted yet 😟
    House Fund = £0
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    hi OBL
    that's a lovely tranquil picture of your cat :) I hope you get the boiler fixed soon, it has got colder here today after being mild over the weekend.  Sorry to hear your leg is painful again too.  Not the best start to the year for you.
    Good luck with NSDs, i record mine in my signature otherwise i lose track!
    love Deni
    Thanks he was very warm 😀 the boiler is not fixed yet so we are still cold 🥶 I did use to record my nsds in my signature but still kept forgetting to do it 😀
    House Fund = £0
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Did you manage to get heating? It’s been colder today so hopefully you have x
    Sadly no heating yet 😟
    House Fund = £0
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    The heating engineer came out this morning and of course it's the worse case scenario, there is a leak in the system and it's not in the boiler or in the pipes under the upstairs floors so that means it must be either under the kitchen floor 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞or elsewhere downstairs which is underneath my lovely new wooden flooring. He is going to let me know when they can come back and sort it out but I get the impression that they are really busy so god knows how long it's going to take or how much it's going to cost. He was here for three hours today trying to sort it out 🙀🙀I'm hoping and praying it's under the kitchen floor because it's leaked there before, there is a crawl space under my house and he says if there is a gap to get from the kitchen into the rest of downstairs he will be able to get under and fix it via the kitchen floor but I can't remember if there is a gap to go through. I am now keeping all my fingers and toes crossed that they can fit me in ASAP and that it will be easy to find and fix 

I have been at home all day today so to keep warm and busy I have taken down all the Christmas decorations and cleaned everywhere. I got two loads of washing done but can't do any more until that dries which will take ages with no heat 🤷‍♀️ 

I went for a walk through the fields with B at lunch time mainly because i needed to get outside and walk off some frustration and I thought it would feel warmer in the house after being out in the cold. It did feel slightly warmer when I got back, I put  two jumpers on and a couple of pairs of socks when I got back in and after going up and down the ladder to the loft a few times I soon warmed up. When I came home from work yesterday I kept my scarf on and that helped, it was quite mild here over the new year weekend but it's flaming cold now. I've got a big quilt out of the airing cupboard to put over my duvet tonight because I was cold last night

I cooked the Butter Chicken from the Gousto menus for tea and it was beautiful, it came out exactly the same and will be a firm favourite from now on, no more jars of sauce for me and who knew that sprinkling coriander on your food would make it taste so nice, it's lovely with rice😊I am intending to make the Biriyani tomorrow but might be late home so will see how I feel,if I don't make it tomorrow I will do it on Friday 

My work meeting went ok, I asked about cutting my hours and I do have enough spare AL to use up for my four long days of January so she said I can do that, she has also contacted HR to see how easy it is to to do a temporary change in hours for when my AL runs out so all good 
    House Fund = £0
  • foxglovesfoxgloves Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    So sorry to hear about your heating, OBL. Honestly, don't heating systems just always pick a cold snap for going sick? Just typical. Hope the problem is somewhere accessible. Fingers crossed here for you.
    I'm sure you're already doing this, but don't underestimate the warming powers of a hot water bottle tucked up behind your back when you're on the sofa under a blanket. 
    Hope it gets fixed soon. 
    F x
    "Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only the moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake".
    Sir Francis Bacon 1561 - 1626 (Philosopher & statesman)
  • Sun_AddictSun_Addict Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Oh no what a pain with your heating. This is why I've got the BG cover plan for mine, it probably costs more in the long run but they come out pretty quickly and I'm classed as a priority customer because of Mr SA being disabled. Fingers crossed it will be easy to fix and they can get out to you soon. 

The reduced work hours sounds like a good idea if you can afford it. Even if it's just for a few weeks so you can regroup a bit.

It's great how the Gousto meal boxes have reignited your interest in cooking from scratch. I love coriander sprinkled on top of food, have even been known to eat it on it's own. I'm the same with fresh basil. Have you stopped the boxes altogether now? I've noticed there are a few new brands popping up.
    Christmas Savings 2022 £354.38/£600
    July NSD: 2/12
  • CherryfudgeCherryfudge Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Oh dear to the heating: I hope the crawl space can be found. The one in my parents' house was near the front door but I don't know if that's typical.

Good to hear your work meeting was helpful.

I will second foxgloves over the hot water bottle, especially as you've had the sciatic problems. It would seem wise to keep that area warm and as mobile as possible.
    Fashion on the Ration challenge: 20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
    Toiletries used up 20/180.
  • Deni_debt-free_dreamerDeni_debt-free_dreamer Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    morning
    sorry to hear about ongoing boiler problems.  It is really cold here and has just started snowing!  I signed up to BG homecare a few years ago when my boiler stopped working 2 days before Xmas!  They were quick to come out and sort the problem; that was preCovid though.  Agree about the warmth and comfort that a hot water bottle can bring.  Hope you are managing ok OBL
    love Deni
    LBM - October 2018; finally debt free on 16 March 2021 !
    NST June #12 NSD 5
    2022 Mortgage Free Wannabee #81
    2022 Decluttering Campaign member
  • milannmilann Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You have thought about it but just in case you haven’t…….have you thought of keeping the house warm by cooking a long slow stew in the oven. We didn’t have any central heating when I was a child. I always remember the oven being on with something in the oven cooking slowly and keeping the house warm. No idea how expensive it is to keep the oven on though….