My journey to a debt free life

in Debt free diaries
6.7K replies 360.7K views

Replies

• OnebrokeladyOnebrokelady Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The boiler saga continues. The leak was very efficiently found and fixed on Wednesday and it was under the kitchen floor luckily, they were still here for three hours though 🙀 it worked until Friday afternoon and then the boiler packed up again 😟the original guy came out and tried to fix it but it's got so many faults he has advised me it's not worth repairing so I have got to have a new one fitted 😫😫 it is old now and a very cheap boiler with a bad reputation for being unreliable so I think I'm actually lucky it's limped along until now. They are hopefully going to send me a quote on Monday and then look to see if they can fit me in, they are very busy at the moment so I might have to wait for a bit,fingers crossed it will be soon. This house is very damp if it's not heated during the colder months. I keep having to wipe the front door down because of the amount of condensation running down the door,the door mat was soaked 😟

I am so lucky to have an electric shower so I can have at least have a hot shower. The problem with getting cold is it sets off my pain and then I have trouble getting it back under control. The house will be spotless though because I'm keeping myself warm by cleaning all the time 😂😂, it's getting the washing dry that's the main challenge at the moment, both of us have uniforms that need to be washed and dried for a quick turn around so that's a pain in the bum but we will get sorted eventually 
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £4,954.23 Owed = £12,675.77
    Emergency Fund = £640 Xmas savings = £0
    House Fund = £0
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Sorry about your lack of heating OBL. Do you have no hot water either? Our boiler packed up once and we couldn't afford a new one for two months . Luckily it was the summer but cold showers were the worst! At the moment we only have the heating on for an hour in the morning if it's really cold and occasionally for an hour in the evening if our hands start to go numb (to save money of course), but I would feel awful without a hot shower!

It's good news that you can trial shorter hours at work by the way.
    Thanks Hairy I do have an electric shower so can at least have a hot shower. I need a hot shower when I get home from work and it helps with my pain levels too 😊
    House Fund = £0
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    amber03 said:
    Cold showers and baths are all the fashion now, supposed to be good for the skin and mind.xx
    They aren't good for me when I'm in pain all the time !
    House Fund = £0
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    badmemory said:
    When my heating boiler went terminal in late November I only had one fan heater & the oven.  I was totally wasteful and had the oven on with the door open, cooking nothing.
    The boiler wasn't really terminal but was going to cost so much to repair & could have gone with something else the next week that a new boiler seemed sensible.  At least people don't burst out laughing at the make of my new one like they did with the old.
    I did this one day last week,it was so cold in my kitchen and my hands were hurting so much i stuck the oven on and left the door open it was bliss 😀that's what I've now been advised to do,yours wasn't a Glow-Worm by any chance was it, everyone makes funny noises and starts scratching their chin whenever I tell them the make of my boiler 😀
    House Fund = £0
  • Deni_debt-free_dreamerDeni_debt-free_dreamer Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi OBL
    sorry to hear about the continuing problems with the boiler. Thank goodness you have an electric shower!  I had a quote for a new boiler last autumn from BG which was just over £3k which i didn't think was too scary.  It did include a £400 (?) discount but i was expecting a much higher figure.  
    love Deni
    LBM - October 2018; finally debt free on 16 March 2021 !
    NST August NSD 2
    2022 Mortgage Free Wannabee #81
    2022 Decluttering Campaign member
  • milannmilann Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oh no….can’t be much fun being cold. At least a shiny new boiler will keep you warm. Are you going to get a hive control so you can put it on remotely. I find it saved us a fair bit in the long term. Not sure how much extra it puts on the price of the boiler. We paid £100 and Dh fitted most of it….an engineer did some too when he was repairing our boiler.
  • amber03amber03 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    A cold and damp house isn’t very good this time of year. Fingers crossed they can fit you in and get it sorted before the weather gets any worse. Sadly it always seems to be this time of year things like this stop working, just a couple of more months and it wouldn’t have been so bad for you. Good luck.xx
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j
    3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £105.45
  • foxglovesfoxgloves Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    @Onebrokelady - I don't know if this is possible because of things like warranties, but could your heating engineer get hold of a reconditioned boiler for you? The reason I mention this is because when we had our heating upgrade in 2020, we had to have a different type of boiler. Our existing one was removed & skipped. It wasnt very old & I know it just got picked up as scrap by the local metal salvage truck. It was in absolutely perfect working order, I had all the instructions & warranty for it. It occurred to me that there maybe people who safety check & sell pre-owned boilers as they are usually quite a significant outlay.
    Just a thought. 
    F x
    "Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only the moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake".
    Sir Francis Bacon 1561 - 1626 (Philosopher & statesman)
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Hi OBL
    sorry to hear about the continuing problems with the boiler. Thank goodness you have an electric shower!  I had a quote for a new boiler last autumn from BG which was just over £3k which i didn't think was too scary.  It did include a £400 (?) discount but i was expecting a much higher figure.  
    love Deni
    I've been roughly quoted £1700 plus vat,it will be more than that but that was a rough guide. I can afford it but it will wipe out most of my savings, I've got my emergency fund and there's still some money in the house fund that I was going to put towards the kitchen floor but that will have to wait now 
    House Fund = £0
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    milann said:
    Oh no….can’t be much fun being cold. At least a shiny new boiler will keep you warm. Are you going to get a hive control so you can put it on remotely. I find it saved us a fair bit in the long term. Not sure how much extra it puts on the price of the boiler. We paid £100 and Dh fitted most of it….an engineer did some too when he was repairing our boiler.
    Probably not going to get a Hive control as I have to do it as cheaply as possible,this is going to wipe out all of my emergency fund so I need to try and economise 
    House Fund = £0