in Debt Free Diaries
6.7K replies 358.6K views

Replies

• OnebrokeladyOnebrokelady Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    foxgloves said:
    @Onebrokelady - I don't know if this is possible because of things like warranties, but could your heating engineer get hold of a reconditioned boiler for you? The reason I mention this is because when we had our heating upgrade in 2020, we had to have a different type of boiler. Our existing one was removed & skipped. It wasnt very old & I know it just got picked up as scrap by the local metal salvage truck. It was in absolutely perfect working order, I had all the instructions & warranty for it. It occurred to me that there maybe people who safety check & sell pre-owned boilers as they are usually quite a significant outlay.
    Just a thought. 
    F x
    Hi thanks Foxgloves,I went and looked into second hand or reconditioned boilers tonight and it is doable but you have to have an engineer willing to fit it and it would not be covered by a warranty. I'm not sure I would feel safe with a used boiler and it is going to need to last me a long time so I would rather go for a new one. It's not as bad as it could have been,at least I don't have to put it on a credit card and my lovely DD2 also offered to put some money towards it. I have told her no to paying towards it unless it's a loan, I should have enough money to pay for it with my emergency  fund and the small amount of savings I've got, so long as nothing else happens that needs a large amount of money at the same time. I would have had more but B had a fairly large vet bill just before Christmas   and her insurance won't pay because it's classed as a pre existing condition 
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £4,954.23 Owed = £12,675.77
    Emergency Fund = £640 Xmas savings = £0
    House Fund = £0
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Had a really nice shift at work today and it was lovely and warm at work 😀

Im off tomorrow and have a list of jobs to get through. I need to phone my GP to see if I can get an appointment about my leg because it's not getting better, I've been in agony for most of the day so need some advice in what to try next.

I also need to go shopping for ingredients to make some meals from the Gousto recipes, I think I just need a couple of leeks and some rocket. We had Bang Bang Chicken with rice salad tonight and it was lovely. Tomorrow's meal with either be a risotto or a pasta dish 😍😍I had my usual home made oven chips and breaded Quorn fillet for tea the other day and I didn't enjoy it at all, I've been spoilt now and like nice food 😂

I have a small pile of ironing to do and some washing,the washing is having to be planned really carefully or I can't get it all dry. I need some really windy dry weather but currently have cold damp foggy weather instead. I did notice it was still light at 4.45pm today so it's getting lighter 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

I also have the usual cleaning to do and I might clean my kitchen window tomorrow as well.

While I'm out at the shops I need to see if I can pick up some chicken feed,they have enough to last until Wednesday which is my next day off but I want o try and get it tomorrow in case I can't get out on Wednesday . One of the 🐓🐓is still diligently laying an egg most days which still amazes me but I do wish she would retire so her body can have a rest, neither of them are spring chickens anymore and they both deserve to chill out in their old age😍
    House Fund = £0
  • edited 17 January at 1:01AM
    OnebrokeladyOnebrokelady Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 17 January at 1:01AM
    I forgot to post about my current book. I got a book a few years ago called Rotherweird and I loved it, a second one came out which was also  bought for me but by the time I had decided to read it the third had come out in hardback so I waited for that one to come out in paperback. I put it on my Christmas list so I now have all three. I'm reading book one again because I couldn't remember what happened, it's such a good story 😊 

I have also been watching thrillers on Netflix. I started with Stay Close which I watched over two nights then I decided to watch The stranger as it's written by the same person,I enjoyed that so much I actually binge watched the whole 8 episodes on Friday night. I was so drawn in I couldn't wait to see what happened next, I didn't get to bed until 2 am 🙀🙀 there is another one that I want watch but I need to plan it so I'm not working the next day in case I get drawn in 😂😂
    House Fund = £0
  • foxglovesfoxgloves Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yes, I can understand your stance on a re-conditioned boiler, @Onebrokelady. From a safety point of view, it's important to have a viable warranty, etc. Infuriating to use your emergency fund, but at least you have saved some money for just such an emergency. It is a proper emergency too, most definitely a need.
    F x
    "Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only the moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake".
    Sir Francis Bacon 1561 - 1626 (Philosopher & statesman)
  • Sun_AddictSun_Addict Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    That seems a reasonable price for a new boiler, can't compare with what I paid almost 6 years ago because I had all new radiators and a new bathroom too. Best to have a brand new one now and get it over with than buy a reconditioned one that may let you down in a couple of years and end up back at square one. 

I started watching Stay Close on Saturday night. I love Harlen Coben's books, I think I've read most of them. Linwood Barclay is brilliant too, very similar style.

Look at you getting all fancy with your cooking, it did you good getting those Gousto boxes 😁
    Christmas Savings 2022 £354.38/£600
    July NSD: 2/12
  • Deni_debt-free_dreamerDeni_debt-free_dreamer Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    hi OBL
    hope you manage to get a Dr appointment, you have been suffering for so long now.
    Good to hear a reasonable boiler quote , i went away for the weekend and had switched off the heating and when i got back the house felt icy cold it was grim.
    those thrillers sound good!  I have stayed up to the small hours when i've been hooked on a drama so i will have to wait to the weekend ....
    love Deni
    LBM - October 2018; finally debt free on 16 March 2021 !
    NST June #12 NSD 5
    2022 Mortgage Free Wannabee #81
    2022 Decluttering Campaign member
  • badmemorybadmemory Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The boiler they all laugh at was a Heatline.  I've got a Worcester/Bosch now.  Meter reading day tomorrow to see how it is doing re costs.  What I should have done last year was note the daily temperature as it feels like this year has been a lot colder.  Of course it is colder the price has just gone shooting up!  Why is a bad financial year always connected to a bad weather year.
  • Willowtree222Willowtree222 Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I paid something similar for my new boiler and it was an extra £100 for hive. 

Hopefully you get a Drs appointment x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    foxgloves said:
    Yes, I can understand your stance on a re-conditioned boiler, @Onebrokelady. From a safety point of view, it's important to have a viable warranty, etc. Infuriating to use your emergency fund, but at least you have saved some money for just such an emergency. It is a proper emergency too, most definitely a need.
    F x
    I am so glad I've actually got some money to pay for it even though it will wipe out all my savings. I wish this had happened earlier and I wouldn't have had my floors done 😟
    House Fund = £0
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    That seems a reasonable price for a new boiler, can't compare with what I paid almost 6 years ago because I had all new radiators and a new bathroom too. Best to have a brand new one now and get it over with than buy a reconditioned one that may let you down in a couple of years and end up back at square one. 

I started watching Stay Close on Saturday night. I love Harlen Coben's books, I think I've read most of them. Linwood Barclay is brilliant too, very similar style.

Look at you getting all fancy with your cooking, it did you good getting those Gousto boxes 😁
    I thought it was quite reasonable too . I've never read any Harlen Coben books but think I might have to investigate now 
    The Gousto boxes have spoilt me now, we had the risotto tonight and it was yummy 😍
    House Fund = £0