Cheap Ryanair Flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't say the flights were expensive but charging £24.00 a bag is unreasonable.

They are using the phrase, '1p Flights', but must people do take a bag on holiday with them, so the cost is often much higher.

They used to not charge for one bag, then they increased it to £8, now £24.

£24 has taken it a little too much imo.

So how do you think they can afford to offer the basic flight for 1p? It stands to reason they are making money elsewhere or else they would go out of business.
  • Saint_Chris
    Saint_Chris Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Options
    So your case is weighed in at the airport,

someone is paid to put a label on it

it goes via a electric belt down to a hold, costs electric

someone is paid to put it on a truck,

someone is paid to drive the truck,

the truck used pertol

someone is paid to take your case of the truck and put on a belt to go into the hold

your case is flown, using fuel, and we all know that the more weight on a plane the more fuel it uses

someone is paid to take your case of the plane at your destination

your case is taken to the airport via a truck, using petrol

driven by someone who is getting paid

someone is paid to take your case of the truck, and it's put on a conveyor belt, using electric

And hey presto, it's all there

and it's done again on your return journey.

And i compained at paying £9 to park for a few hours in Blackpool the other day,

which involved no one else.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Am I the only one that finds hand luggage more than adequate?

Last year I only took hand luggage for a ten day trip to two countries, and bought lots of goodies back with me too!

Simple answer is don't overpack. There is no need for four (or even three) pairs of shoes, if you want lots of books then borrow/ buy them over there, and put all your toiletries into smaller containers.

Not difficult, is it? :confused:
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    They are using the phrase, '1p Flights', but must people do take a bag on holiday with them, so the cost is often much higher.

I assume you meant 'most' rather than 'must'.
    We use RyanAir for cheap breaks and don't take checked baggage.
    We paid less than £40 for 2 return tickets to Barcelona.

I agree with SaintChris, Mystictrev & BlueHaddock - £19.96 IS good value.

UncletravellingMatt,
    I don't think 15kgs for checked baggage is 'pathetic' - I can pack for 3 weeks in the sun within that limit.
    Although a lot of carriers have a 20kg limit, most charter airlines have reduced their baggage allowance to 15kg.
  • Kijoki
    Kijoki Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Just noticed on ryanair website, pretty darn cheap prices for some of their trips. Basically 1p including tax / handling fees and so forth!

Just try it, book a holiday from stansted to shannon leaving on the 3rd june and returning on the 11th of june...

Only cost me 2 pence (obviously credit card charge of i believe 2 pounds as well...)

still worth it though!!!

get it while you can I suggest:

https://www.ryanair.com
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The sale has been extended until Monday night, for travel in June.
  • CashHound
    CashHound Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    A little research over the net showed me they actually made over £90 Billion in excesss baggage charges while it was £5.50 per kilo, 12 months ago, yet they still managed to increase the charge to over double, the mind boggles!

Considering their total revenue for 2007 was 2.2B euros, I think you are mistaken. However, given it is Ryanair I am not going to discount it!

Their terms and conditions still say "Checked baggage booked online is charged per bag/per one way flight at a discounted rate of £8/€10 for the first bag and £16/€20 for each additional bag/ per one way flight.". Are you sure you've put in the right number of bags? If they already automatically add one, and without realising you have added a second, there is your £24 per person total
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The 1p flights for June offer has been extended until Monday night :)

doesn't include cost of hold baggage though!
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    In case things look repetitive, it's because I've merged some Ryanair threads into here to save cluttering up the Travel Board :)
  • Saint_Chris
    Saint_Chris Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Options
    well i'm more than made up again with ryanair

just had another look on the website, and i'm wanting flights to tenerife in nov, and they haven't been out. I want a 9 nighter, leaving northwest on the 11th nov to 23rd nov, going to stay with my parents.

cheapest flight was monarch leaving from manchester £322

guess what i've just searched with ryanair and i've booked the above dates, flying from liverpool, even better for me and better flight times.

with a case each checked in, credit card fee all in total of £179

:T :T :T :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family