What are you making for dinner?

edited 2 May 2020 at 11:05PM in Old Style MoneySaving
10.1K replies 616.5K views

Replies

• MandM90MandM90 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last night was brown rice jambalaya with butter beans.

Tonight was deep fried rubbish - chips, veggie sausages, beans and mushy peas. But enjoyed by all and not a takeaway!
  • C_JC_J Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last night I made a puff pastry tart topped with cream cheese, red onion and the last of the tomatoes from the greenhouse. There’s enough left over to have for lunch today.  Tonight I’m using up some odd and ends of red pepper, spinach, cheese and rice to stuff some huge flat mushrooms and roast them in garlicky oil. Will be served with a nice cold glass of wine around Strictly o’clock.
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had a very disappointing Chinese last night, we went back to one we used order from regularly, but standards have slipped, and not improved and I’m not spending money on poor food 😡 back to the one we know is good.

tonight is either a hunters chicken type thing or rump steak 🤷‍♀️ With asparagus 
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • MandM90MandM90 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Easy tonight. HM sweet potato fries, veggie burgers and salad. We do occasionally eat wholesome food, promise!

Lunch was wholemeal pasta with chesnut mushrooms and saffron milk caps from our garden.

• goldfinchesgoldfinches Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I splashed out using this month's treat budget and had the veggie option on Dishpatch from Ottolenghi Ottolenghi Test Kitchen Mezze by Ottolenghi | dishpatch menu.  I've only eaten about a quarter of the savoury dishes and am completely stuffed so the rest has gone into the fridge for the next few days.
    I've also come to the conclusion that a big part of the reason the food tastes so good is because they start with really high quality ingredients especially wonderfully fresh fruits and vegetables. Co-incidentally W*rose have sent me some vouchers to use before 14th Nov. which give £5 off a £30 spend so I'm now wondering whether to try shopping there or to get a delivery from someone like A & C.
    What would everyone else suggest? 

Air
    , n. A nutritious substance supplied by a bountiful Providence for the fattening of the poor. 

from The Devil's Dictionary
    by Ambrose Bierce
  • edited 16 October at 11:56PM
    JILJIL Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 October at 11:56PM
    I bought the £15  fakeaway m and s nando's . So there was chicken, rice, coleslaw,  halloumi fries supplemented with salad and cheesecake for afters.  A pack of chicken burgers for another meal so I thought it was good value.
  • C_JC_J Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    @goldfinches I would be very tempted to use the £5 Waitrose voucher. Whilst they tend to be quite pricey compared with other supermarkets, they do have nice things and I do enjoy a twirl round in there if I am running low of unusual ingredients, esp herbs, spices and pastes. The other thing I have noticed is that they always have a really good selection of yellow stickered items - and these are not just ready meals (which don't interest me), but general ingredients incl lots of fresh fruit and veg. They don't seem to have a particular time of day for their reductions - it seems to be a fairly day-long thing - so you could make your £30 spend (well, £25 with the voucher) go very much further. As you will know, there are branches in Headington and on the Botley Road.
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Roast pork with all the trimmings, MIL is joining us, so we have to eat at 12 😳 I rarely eat before 6, so might make my excuses as a roast dinner that early really isn’t doing it for me 
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • C_JC_J Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm making a meatloaf tonight, to be served with cabbage, carrots and lashings of gravy.
  • PurpleJayPurpleJay Forumite
    505 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    We are having (vegan) cauliflower cheese with mash, broccoli and carrots for tea. I will make enough for twice so there to be leftovers. 
    'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'
    Weight loss challenge Oct - Dec 2021 1/14
    November grocery challenge £386.68/£350.00
    December grocery challenge £140.55/£450.00 (4/12)