What are you making for dinner?

edited 2 May 2020 at 11:05PM in Old Style MoneySaving
10.4K replies 634.9K views

Replies

• peony40peony40 Forumite
    590 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Meatloaf tonight with jacket potatoes and peas.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
  • goldfinchesgoldfinches Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Brie said:
    I just didn't fancy anything at all this evening so in the end I decided to make myself a treat and made some Dream Bars from an Australian Women's Weekly cook book I found in a charity shop a while ago.
    Here's the online version Dream bars | Australian Women's Weekly Food (womensweeklyfood.com.au) 

I think this recipe is going into my folder of useful ones to make for cakes sales and that sort of thing because it tastes so nice and can be sliced up so attractively.
    @goldfinches
    The butter is mentioned twice for the base - is that correct or are they in fact telling you the metric and non metric amounts.  Looks about the same to me.  Quite agree it looks a good bakesale item.  Tasty but marginally healthy what with the fruit/coconut.

(also - i knew what you meant about the fridge.  I just have a weird imagination.... :D )
    @Brie - you're quite right that it is a confusing way of giving both metric and cup measures for the butter. I forgot to say that having made the recipe twice I think one should be generous when measuring the mincemeat but frugal with the desiccated coconut but it is a matter of personal taste.

I thought you knew what I meant about the fridge but it is difficult to tell from the typing sometimes. 

Air
    , n. A nutritious substance supplied by a bountiful Providence for the fattening of the poor. 

from The Devil's Dictionary
    by Ambrose Bierce
  • MandM90MandM90 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Black and kidney bean enchiladas with salad and HM guacamole 😋🥑
  • EriSteadyGoEriSteadyGo Forumite
    19 Posts
    10 Posts
    We’re having garlicky chicken hearts with mini roasties and veg. 
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beef and broccoli here tonight 
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thick butchers cut gammon steaks with munchkin (pumpkin) fries and eggs 
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Last night OH did the chicken with figs recipe that I posted. Apparently it was from the Guardian and apparently it was a trial run for when we have friends coming to dinner early in Nov.   Friend is an ex chef so something special for dinner is essential.   Served simply with chunks of baguette.  (the chicken, not the friend)

Tonight it's weisswurst.  OH want kartofolpuffen (sp?) from Lidl which supposedly are in the freezer (I have my doubts) but I'm going out later so will pick up some coleslaw and maybe some of that extra dark rye bread (hopefully sonnenblumenbrot)

"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was out out out last night at a big black tie event in the Big Smoke - wow, my senses were slightly assaulted not only because it was a big event in general but even more so after the past 18mths. Food was surprisingly good given they have ~600 people to serve. 

Back home now and dinner will be something simpler tonight - prob some reheated noodles from the other night and I might see if there's something suitable in the freezer to have them with. 
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• BrieBrie Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    OH has a lamb neck fillet marinating in olive oil, garlic and thyme.  I don't care what it gets served with as long as I get at least half!  STARVING!!!  It smells so lovely but I know it won't be served for at least another hour.....
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Decided I should go and tidy the kitchen to ensure the stollen bites have been put away correctly.