What are you making for dinner?

edited 2 May 2020 at 11:05PM in Old Style MoneySaving
10.3K replies 631.7K views

Replies

• BrieBrie Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    ...... I've only got half the fridge left to eat now!
    Did you give the OH the other half?  And how does one prep a fridge???   Start with a chain saw???
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chicken curry tonight, either butter chicken or Thai red or green 🤔
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • peony40peony40 Forumite
    590 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    An easy one tonight, left over curry from yesterday.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
  • C_JC_J Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm using up the leftover pork from yesterday's roast dinner. I have minced up the meat and fried it with lots of finely diced veg - onions, garlic, mushrooms, aubergine, carrots, plus some peas and a little bit of leftover red chilli - and cooked that down in a sauce made from miso pate, mirin and sake.  It'll be topped with buttery root veg mash and baked. My version is loosely based on an Australian recipe I found online. Not sure if I will add cabbage to the mash or not though.
  • kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spinach and ricotta tortellini with some caramelised onion and cheese flat bread. Quick (although i still seem to have made a mess) and easy
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• MandM90MandM90 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    C_J said:
    I'm using up the leftover pork from yesterday's roast dinner. I have minced up the meat and fried it with lots of finely diced veg - onions, garlic, mushrooms, aubergine, carrots, plus some peas and a little bit of leftover red chilli - and cooked that down in a sauce made from miso pate, mirin and sake.  It'll be topped with buttery root veg mash and baked. My version is loosely based on an Australian recipe I found online. Not sure if I will add cabbage to the mash or not though.
    Wow that looks interesting! I clicked on the link and they were advertising deals at Coles, an Aussie supermarket, and a small bag of onions is 5 Australian dollars! That's like £2.70!!
  • SmooshSmoosh Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Cheesy gnocchi with broccoli and peas. OH had pancetta and mushrooms in his too. 
  • goldfinchesgoldfinches Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    @Brie:D I just meant that I'm only half way through all the food that had accumulated in the fridge. It's slow going when there's just you. 

I just didn't fancy anything at all this evening so in the end I decided to make myself a treat and made some Dream Bars from an Australian Women's Weekly cook book I found in a charity shop a while ago.
    Here's the online version Dream bars | Australian Women's Weekly Food (womensweeklyfood.com.au) 
    The good part is that I managed to finish off the jar of home made mincemeat that was sitting in the fridge as well as a couple of eggs and some butter and all the other ingredients came from my larder stores.

Here's mine in my Delia's oblong tin with the liner which is almost the same size as the lamington tin my book specifies, it came out beautifully firm so that it cuts into lovely thin fingers which don't crumble when you eat them.
    I think this recipe is going into my folder of useful ones to make for cakes sales and that sort of thing because it tastes so nice and can be sliced up so attractively.

Air
    , n. A nutritious substance supplied by a bountiful Providence for the fattening of the poor. 

from The Devil's Dictionary
    by Ambrose Bierce
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’ve got leftovers tonight, DH wants ‘brown food’ pie and chips 🤷‍♀️
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • MandM90MandM90 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Going to do BBC Good Foods spiced root veg and lentil casserole with some SM naan breads tonight. Don’t think DD will be keen but she’s so fussy it’s tough luck!