What are you making for dinner?

edited 2 May 2020 at 11:05PM in Old Style MoneySaving
10.3K replies 633.9K views

Replies

• EriSteadyGoEriSteadyGo Forumite
    19 Posts
    10 Posts
    I got a great deal on some duck breasts in maple sauce from the butcher (2 for £2.99) so we’re having that with some roast spuds and veg. 
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    The OH has asked me to print this as I'm in the office today.  I'm hoping it's for dinner tonight!!

Roast chicken legs with sticky figs, red onions and oloroso vinegar

Crisp chicken skin, savoury olives and sweet, sticky figs make this a delicious supper dish.

Prep 20 min
    Marinate 2 hr+ (optional)
    Cook 40 min
    Serves 4

1 whole head garlic
    4 chicken legs
    , or 8 chicken pieces
    Salt and pepper

2-3 tbsp oloroso vinegar, or good balsamic vinegar
    8 sprigs fresh thyme

3 red onions, peeled and cut into eighths
    6 not-too-ripe figs, quartered
    12 black olives, halved and stoned
    Extra-virgin olive oil

Bash the head of garlic several times with a rolling pin to break it open. Take two of the cloves, and peel and crush them. Cut the chicken legs in half, to separate the thighs and drumsticks, then season generously and rub in the crushed garlic, a tablespoon of the vinegar and the leaves from a few sprigs of thyme. If you have the time, cover, put in the fridge and leave to marinate for a few hours, or overnight; otherwise, crack on with cooking the dish.

An hour before you want to eat, heat the oven to 200C (180C fan)/390 F/gas 6. Put the remaining garlic and thyme, the onions, figs and olives in a large, deep oven tray, and season generously. Pour over three to four tablespoons of olive oil and toss with your hands. Drizzle over the last of the vinegar and roast for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat a wide pan over a high heat, pour in a tablespoon of olive oil and brown the chicken skin side down for three to four minutes. Once the skin has coloured, transfer the chicken pieces to the fig and onion tray, nestling them skin side up on top, and roast, stirring once or twice, for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken juices run clear when you pierce the thickest part of a thigh 
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I just didn't fancy anything at all this evening so in the end I decided to make myself a treat and made some Dream Bars from an Australian Women's Weekly cook book I found in a charity shop a while ago.
    Here's the online version Dream bars | Australian Women's Weekly Food (womensweeklyfood.com.au) 

I think this recipe is going into my folder of useful ones to make for cakes sales and that sort of thing because it tastes so nice and can be sliced up so attractively.
    @goldfinches
    The butter is mentioned twice for the base - is that correct or are they in fact telling you the metric and non metric amounts.  Looks about the same to me.  Quite agree it looks a good bakesale item.  Tasty but marginally healthy what with the fruit/coconut.

(also - i knew what you meant about the fridge.  I just have a weird imagination.... :D )
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • worrywart_3worrywart_3 Forumite
    430 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Jacket
    potatoes with left over chicken sweet corn Mayo and some red onion sausage and salad 
  • JILJIL Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loving the look of the mincemeat tart, I will give it a go @goldfinches.

Last night I picked up some prawns from m&s reduced to £1. Plus some cooked salmon. We had salad and new potatoes with it.

Tonight I made a quorn bolognese bake to use up some bits of leftover cheese. We had salad with it. I get away with a vege meal once per week with husband.
  • MandM90MandM90 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    In rather stark contrast to Brie's posh meal*, we had this as planned:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spicy-root-lentil-casserole

I wanted to come back and share as it's an incredibly frugal recipe, cooks in 20 mins and everyone ate and enjoyed it.

*Which I imagine she won't be having if she ends up rolling around the floor of her local Tesco's trying to escape the vice like grip of a new, more nubile, security guard
  • kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We ended up with fish n chips from the chippie today at hubbys suggestion. 

He wanted something easy and quick before the football (said the actress to the Bishop  ;)) and don't think he trusted me in the kitchen as I've already been stung by a wasp today and cut my thumb nail with a razor (yes...ouch!)
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• SmooshSmoosh Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Red Thai curry with Quorn chicken, broccoli, carrot and noodles. OH had mushrooms with his too. 
  • TheMsTealeTheMsTeale Forumite
    62 Posts
    10 Posts
    Homemade pizza topped with green olives. I went insane & put the cheese on first by mistake instead of the tomato sauce - oh well!
  • VintageHistorianVintageHistorian Forumite
    718 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    We had sausages, mashed potato, beans and gravy.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Overpayments in 2020 - £697.60