What are you making for dinner?

edited 3 May 2020 at 12:05AM in Old Style MoneySaving
11.5K replies 690.9K views

Replies

• IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    @kerri_gt we were 10 minutes late, but had a lovely lunch, basically huge charcuterie board, took my own crackers, lots of wine and laughs 👍

Seafood stew today, easy and tasty, rich tomato sauce with a bag of Aldi frozen mixed seafood, works well as a pasta sauce, but we have it without 
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • C_JC_J Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I’m just defrosting a pack of chicken thighs which I’ll make into chunks of battered lemon chicken to serve with a mix of stir fried veg with Chinese spices.
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Tonight is fruit de mer (sp??) - snow crab legs and honking big langoustine are already purchased and OH is off to the fish mongers to see what we need to go with it.  I'm expecting one of the nicer german wines to be opened and perhaps there will be cocktails to start.  (OH was muttering about needing tequila and lime to go with the blue curacao (yuck to all but the lime...)) 
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • JILJIL Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Oh crab legs, by coincidence I was watching blue bloods tonight and the family were eating crab claws, when they discussed that the fishermen who caught the stone crabs, just removed one claw and returned the crab to the sea, where it lived and grew a new one. Fascinating.

Anyway our dinner was a thai curry with prawns, hake and salmon, with green beans and rice.  (Used a paste and coconut milk)
    I also made some beef burgers into larb and served it on iceberg lettuce. Husband was very impressed.
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    @JIL we love larb 🥰

pork steak here in a mustard sauce with a bit of tender stem
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • FrugalistaFrugalista Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Forumite
    What is larb?
    "Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Forumite
    the seafood last night included oysters.  I firmly told the OH that I would deal with them as I was sure otherwise there would be a trip to emergency!  Also samphire which also seems like such a good idea but doesn't always live up to expectations.  

tonight is guinea fowl and new potatoes.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • edited 23 August 2021 at 9:00PM
    JILJIL Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 23 August 2021 at 9:00PM
    @Frugalista
    Larb is a minced meat mixed with thai spices and then mixed as a dry meat with more bits such as peppers, spring onions and maybe lime juice. It can be served as a salad or more often on a lettuce leaf.

I had a frozen turkey in the freezer since Christmas, so it was defrosted, I cut the legs off and cooked them in the slow cooker, I deboned the breast and rolled it with stuffing.  That was served with roast potatoes and veg for husband and inlaws.
    Daughter and I had macaroni cheese.
  • Mrs Fiver is us making ham, eggs and chips, which is a pleasant change for us. The "ham" is a piece of home boiled gammon from our excellent butcher, the eggs are from a neighbour - who keeps a few chickens, and as we have run out of frozen chips, the deep fat fryer has come out of the very back of the cupboard for the first time in years!

A little Laoganma on my chips will make it truly food of the gods!