What are you making for dinner?

edited 3 May 2020 at 12:05AM in Old Style MoneySaving
11.2K replies 676.4K views

Replies

• Ellie79Ellie79 Forumite
    102 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    @Ellie79 - welcome to the forum and do let us know what sort of dietary restrictions you're dealing with as there's bound to be someone who's been there and done that and can give you all sorts of tips on here.

I had half a mozzarella and tomato on olive bread baguette from my too good to go bag for dinner followed by a single crunchy cashew nut butter cookie from an experimental batch I made to see if they'd be nice enough to take to my walking group outing tomorrow. I adapted a good houskeeping three ingredient peanut butter cookie recipe so that I could use some cashew nut butter that was on clearance in M*rks the other day and although the results weren't as pretty as PNB ones they still taste very nice. Here they are.

If I make them again another time I'll try lowering the oven temperature as they all came out frilly around the edges and very fragile before they'd cooled down.
    They look delicious! I love the slightly delicate yet crispy edges. Yum.

My partner had an ostomy. Ruled out the staple cheap beans/mushrooms/salad/stirfry type meals. Plus, I actually enjoyed them. 

It's only 7/8 weeks since surgery so he is doing very well in trying old faves but I am already finding it hard to keep coming up with new twists especially for foods he misses.
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Brie yep, Dads Canadian 👍

tonight’s will be Nigellas Italian roast chicken with peppers and Olives, easy and tasty 
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • JILJIL Forumite
    7.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Husband had a lamb casserole from freezer, I had plain omelette with new potatoes, cauliflower, baby brussel sprouts and broccoli.
  • goldfinchesgoldfinches Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I had the sweet potato, spiced chickpea and carrot salad from the TGTG bag followed by a couple of cashew nut cookies and coffee.

I made a batch of the original 3 ingredient peanut cookies this morning and took both those and the cashew nut ones for a taste test among my walking group this afternoon and the results were 1 vote for them being equally as nice as each other, 3 votes for cashew nut ones and 1 vote for the original peanut version. 

Politics
    , n. A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.
    The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.
    from The Devil's Dictionary
    by Ambrose Bierce

Mice killed this week: 2 using carrot pieces as bait
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Islandmaid - me too!  Though I've been here for almost 30 years!

Dinner last night was some very nice steak - I thought I'd overcooked it (I'd eat it raw if I had to) but it was just right.  caesar salad on the side and strawberries for afters.  

No idea yet about tonight - it's market day so we'll see what's available.  Hoping that I'll be taken out for breakfast!  Then when we get home I think I'll need to clear out the fridge and freezers.  Some stuff has been frozen for much too long and needs to be binned if we're not going to use it - yes wasteful but I think it's beyond help.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • arielgirlarielgirl Forumite
    430 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Off the top of my head I'm thinking HM pizza tonight. The base is mix shop bought. 
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    BBQ rib eye with BBQ’d tender stem tonight boring but SO good 😊 
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • C_JC_J Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to make some space in the freezer for the veg I am harvesting from the garden, so have taken out a large enamel dish of a chicken, veg and pasta bake which I made a few weeks back. I don't really fancy it to be honest, but don't want to waste it. I'll probably zhuzh it up with some passata under it and a bit more cheese sauce over it and see if that makes it any more appealing!.
  • Going to have a go with lamb (not a favourite meat at all) but saw spicy lamb pasta on a morning show and it appealed - so hope I can tolerate it as mince.

Cutting a few bits out like the yoghurt on pasta, pine nuts and butter.

https://www.itv.com/thismorning/articles/john-gregory-smiths-spicy-lamb-pasta-shells
  • Ellie79Ellie79 Forumite
    102 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Tonight is teriyaki chicken and noodles fried with carrots and green peppers (to suit OH's dietary stuff!). It's shopping day tomorrow and we were at a clinic all day for results. Feeling virtuous I am using up veg that is reaching end of its life and chicken I froze. I'm not feeling it because I miss all the 'nice' veg we would have normally had but not cooking two different things!