Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2018

Options

Comments

• bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can you book now but cancel for free if something better turns up?

Suppose I could, only have to pay one night deposit and free cancellation applies (would lose or gain a few pennies with the conversion if I have to do a refund)
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,776 Forumite
    Options
    We arrived back from Vegas this morning. Had a fabulous holiday and managed to blag a free upgrade at the Luxor by saying we were on our honeymoon (not true) and that hubby had proposed there last time we stayed (true).

Flew out and returned on a Thomas Cook direct flight, going was great, seats in a 2-4-2 and nice meal. Coming back horrible. It was a 10 hour flight, 1hr in they came round with the drinks trolley, 1.5 hours in we got our meal. Pasta in a tomato sauce and a yoghurt- all well and good but no cutlery to eat it with. Nothing but the little drink stirrer in the pack and when we asked for something o eat our food with we were just told 'Sorry, our caterers have let us down'. got a coffee with the meal then no further drinks served for the rest of the flight.

Just to add insult to injury, so embarrassed that I didn't realise till we arrived home that I had my t-shirt on inside out and hubby never noticed!
  • bradders1983
    Options
    swingaloo wrote: »
    We arrived back from Vegas this morning. Had a fabulous holiday and managed to blag a free upgrade at the Luxor by saying we were on our honeymoon (not true) and that hubby had proposed there last time we stayed (true).

Flew out and returned on a Thomas Cook direct flight, going was great, seats in a 2-4-2 and nice meal. Coming back horrible. It was a 10 hour flight, 1hr in they came round with the drinks trolley, 1.5 hours in we got our meal. Pasta in a tomato sauce and a yoghurt- all well and good but no cutlery to eat it with. Nothing but the little drink stirrer in the pack and when we asked for something o eat our food with we were just told 'Sorry, our caterers have let us down'. got a coffee with the meal then no further drinks served for the rest of the flight.

Just to add insult to injury, so embarrassed that I didn't realise till we arrived home that I had my t-shirt on inside out and hubby never noticed!

Now I am going with Thomas Cook in September next year and booked the Premium Economy cabin, given you said it was 2-4-2 formation it sounds like thats how you went. Did you fly back in Premium Economy? My understanding was you could just get drinks whenever you wanted throughout the flight in this cabin?

As for the food they arent able to get the same meals from the USA, it does say this when you book. Well at least it did for me.
    In all honest Im not a fan of airline food so I will probably fill up at one of the breakfast buffets on the Strip before I depart.
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all,
    JET LAG ! That sucks!! not had jet lag in ages, but hit me good this time (flew back with VA on Sat/Sun), been in bed early every night :(

Will do a trip report soon :)
    Short Story: Road Trip was great (although 10.5hr flight + 1.5hrs to get through Imm/customs and collect car + 353 mile drive from LAS to 'Tulare' nr Fresno = Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam hard work !!!)

Vegas was good, tables & slots ate my monies as expected, although the final night was good fun, so came home with $1900 ! :D

Car Rentals: NU Rental.
    Its directly opposite the rental centre.. Although I haven't used them, I would recommend you keep with the brokers who use:
    Alamo / Dollar / Thrifty / National / Hertz / AVIS / Enterprise / Budget ......

oh, and not sure how I did this, but we did 128 miles in 5 days in the car rental, and it cost $38.21 to fill up !!!
    The car was a Dodge Challenger R/T ;););););););););)
  • swingaloo
    Options
    Now I am going with Thomas Cook in September next year and booked the Premium Economy cabin, given you said it was 2-4-2 formation it sounds like thats how you went. Did you fly back in Premium Economy? My understanding was you could just get drinks whenever you wanted throughout the flight in this cabin?

As for the food they arent able to get the same meals from the USA, it does say this when you book. Well at least it did for me.
    In all honest Im not a fan of airline food so I will probably fill up at one of the breakfast buffets on the Strip before I depart.

Hi, yes it was the Premium Economy both ways. Its not that there was anything wrong with the meal on the way back, it was just that there were no forks etc to eat it with. Tomato pasta doesn't make good 'finger food' lol.

No drinks service on the return flight although hubby has just pointed out that there was a bottle of water on every seat when we boarded the flight.
  • bradders1983
    Options
    swingaloo wrote: »
    Hi, yes it was the Premium Economy both ways. Its not that there was anything wrong with the meal on the way back, it was just that there were no forks etc to eat it with. Tomato pasta doesn't make good 'finger food' lol.

No drinks service on the return flight although hubby has just pointed out that there was a bottle of water on every seat when we boarded the flight.

The impression I got when booking, and from seeing other reviews, is you can just wander through to the galley and get a drink whenever you wanted in that cabin? There is no charge for them.
  • swingaloo
    Options
    Not on our flight, it was the Airbus A330 we flew on. They came round 1 hour into the journey, we got a coffee and a Pepsi and it was £4.40 and that was it for the flight other than the coffee with the meal.
    We asked for coffee later in the flight and was told that someone would be coming round with drinks. That turned out to be an attendant who went through the cabin carrying some plastic cups and a yellow kettle jug filled with cold water for anyone who wanted it. When hubby asked if we could have coffee the reply was 'Not at the moment, we may come round later'but that didn't happen.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just booked for next September. Used 2 upgrade vouchers from My LLoyds /avios CC. 2 x Clubworld 130,000 avios and £1100. And we don't have to go to Dublin.

On another note, my sons roadtrip is not going well. He stopped at the golden gate bridge to propose to his G/F and when he got back the SUV had been broken into. All his camera equipment gone (he's a photographer) probably about £7K's worth of stuff, window smashed. They were living in the thing like a camper.
    Luckily Budget sorted him out the same day with a new vehicle
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • bobbyhibs
    bobbyhibs Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    stoneman wrote: »

On another note, my sons roadtrip is not going well. He stopped at the golden gate bridge to propose to his G/F and when he got back the SUV had been broken into. All his camera equipment gone (he's a photographer) probably about £7K's worth of stuff, window smashed. They were living in the thing like a camper.
    Luckily Budget sorted him out the same day with a new vehicle

oh wow that is truely awful,,,im hoping he has the right insurance in regards his very exspensive camera equipment?
    hope they both are okay though....
    oh what did she say?:cool:
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bobbyhibs wrote: »
    oh wow that is truely awful,,,im hoping he has the right insurance in regards his very exspensive camera equipment?
    hope they both are okay though....
    oh what did she say?:cool:

She said yes!!
    And they are getting married in Vegas, the worlds shortest engagement.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure