Options

Comments

• bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 October 2018 at 10:20AM
    Options
    stevie11 wrote: »
    Fare points :) Are you referring to Thomas Cook as the direct airline? I know Virgin used to fly out of Man maybe seasonal.

Aye they go every day at the moment, although next year it looks to be cut back to 5 times a week. Virgin still do Sundays and Thursdays between March and October (?) but the prices in comparison are eye watering.

Just paid £899.98 with them for a return trip in premium economy next September. I will probably have been lucky to get the same trip in basic with Virgin from Manchester for under £1200 once their prices finally come out, and I cant do the trip easily in economy to be honest. Maybe Im just a snob as I did it in First a few years ago (on a staff fare with a friend) and its a bit of a comedown!
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    Aye they go every day at the moment, although next year it looks to be cut back to 5 times a week. Virgin still do Sundays and Thursdays between March and October (?) but the prices in comparison are eye watering.

Just paid £899.98 with them for a return trip in premium economy next September. I will probably have been lucky to get the same trip in basic with Virgin from Manchester for under £1200 once their prices finally come out, and I cant do the trip easily in economy to be honest. Maybe Im just a snob as I did it in First a few years ago (on a staff fare with a friend) and its a bit of a comedown!

Thanks Bradders, t.b.h. over the last few years I prefer to fly Oneworld airlines to get the points/miles. I am quite a frugal traveller like many on here and have a budget of around £400 for flights to Las. Normally that will be avhieved by flying down to Lhr with BA or out of Man to Phl, Chicago or JFK. My next trip in Dec booked in March cost under £350 inc hold luggage with AA tranferring in Phl. The return means 2 stops into Pheonix then to London on the old 747 arriving back into Man early afternoon the next day.

If Virgin can compare on price I would consider direct.
  • bradders1983
    Options
    TC were wanting £599 return for the same flights in economy (+£230/+£70 each way for the premium upgrade) which I dont think is a rip-off, tbh. Virgin prices for economy just seem to be unreasonable now and Premium Economy then seems to double the price!
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    TC were wanting £599 return for the same flights in economy (+£230/+£70 each way for the premium upgrade) which I dont think is a rip-off, tbh. Virgin prices for economy just seem to be unreasonable now and Premium Economy then seems to double the price!

That is a decent price for premium eco. Having just searched TC for nearest to my dates in Dec with bags and reserved seats the price is coming in just over £500, then I suppose you have IFE and drinks as extra if you want them. As I booked in March when there was a sale it is not an exact comparison but I would not normally have considered TC anyway.
  • secretmachines
    Options
    Has anyone done something like LON SFO LAS SFO LON instead of open jaw?

it seems a bit of time wasted by flying back to SFO just to come home, but direct return flights to SFO with Virgin are £340pp... Open jaw LON SFO LAS LON are about £650-700pp...
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

We got £744.50 each for start of June
    Man - Vegas cattle class going out but front row extra leg room seats and the Prem Economy coming back with 32 kg luggage

Manchester seems to have upped its game over the last few years, before that it was way cheaper to drive 220 mile to Heathrow or {shudder} Gatwick, inc stay over in hotel just to get on plane and fly up over Manchester.

One day we will get to fly from LBA :rotfl:
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Indout96 wrote: »
    We got £744.50 each for start of June
    Man - Vegas cattle class going out but front row extra leg room seats and the Prem Economy coming back with 32 kg luggage

Manchester seems to have upped its game over the last few years, before that it was way cheaper to drive 220 mile to Heathrow or {shudder} Gatwick, inc stay over in hotel just to get on plane and fly up over Manchester.

One day we will get to fly from LBA :rotfl:

Can I ask what you made of the Premium Economy bit?
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Watch doing anything into or out of SFO that means you have to get a connection, the fog comes down on a regular basis and delays at SFO are the worst.
    I got caught out doing a tier point run from LAS straight back again and ended up having to spend the night in a hotel at the SFO airport
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    stoneman wrote: »
    Watch doing anything into or out of SFO that means you have to get a connection, the fog comes down on a regular basis and delays at SFO are the worst.
    I got caught out doing a tier point run from LAS straight back again and ended up having to spend the night in a hotel at the SFO airport
    Agree. We’ve had a couple of long delays at SFO. They seem to do it for the slightest excuse.
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I ask what you made of the Premium Economy bit?

Sorry - did not make it clear, this is for June 2019 but having been on these planes before it looks to be the same as the extra legroom seats on the front row but without people trying to cut across in front of you :mad:
    TV screens look bigger and food is "meant" to be better but that's subjective, there is only so much you can do with a heated up meal.
    Coming home it was only slightly more that upgrading to the extra legroom seats which I really need at 6'4'' and with the extra suitcase weight it was a no brainer.
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport