Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2018

Options

Comments

• martmonk
    Options
    martmonk wrote: »
    Anyone have experience of Vegas on 4th July?

We've booked 25th June - 4th July for 2019 using our BA Amex 2-4-1, and the plan at the moment is a couple of nights in Vegas, then 3-4 elsewhere (likely San Diego), then back for the last 2-3 nights, which would include 4th as our last night.

I'm going to make a 'banker' hotel booking for the 4th at least as I'm not sure what to expect in terms of prices and occupancy levels. Looking for your experiences?

TIA.

In the past I have used lowcostusa.co.uk and didn't have any issues. That site appears to have gone, and instead I'm taken to https://www.holidayusa.co.uk

Anyone with experience using them since that change?

The price for 3 nights (2nd-5th) is coming out at £268 for Venetian (plus resort fees), which compares with £265 (plus RF) for 2 nights (3rd-5th) on the 'usual suspects' websites such as hotels.com.

Just got one of those 'if it looks too good to be true' feelings!
  • secretmachines
    Options
    So the rule of thumb is to book flights if you're happy with price! The flights I was looking at turns out were linked to the BA sale, so have now gone from £453 to £714pp

Though to be fair we had only just started thinking about a holiday, so didn't want to rush into something and I felt a little uncomfortable about making an impulse buy 🙂
  • stevie11
    Options
    Agree with you Secreetmachines, I have been helping my Son over the weekend look for an open jaws US trip in Nov i.e out to SFO return from SEA, BOS or JFK. Flight prices were cheap but it was the accommodation prices that were far too high as a solo traveller. He came home from work yesterday after confirming his leave dates and told me the sales have just been pulled unfortunately.

I did mention to him at the weekend he could have a cheap week in Vegas as I could give him comp nights with Mlife and TR plus use some of MyVegas rewards for him. Although he has been to LV before I don't think he is overly keen.
  • secretmachines
    Options
    stevie11 wrote: »
    Agree with you Secreetmachines, I have been helping my Son over the weekend look for an open jaws US trip in Nov i.e out to SFO return from SEA, BOS or JFK. Flight prices were cheap but it was the accommodation prices that were far too high as a solo traveller. He came home from work yesterday after confirming his leave dates and told me the sales have just been pulled unfortunately.

I did mention to him at the weekend he could have a cheap week in Vegas as I could give him comp nights with Mlife and TR plus use some of MyVegas rewards for him. Although he has been to LV before I don't think he is overly keen.

My heart is disappointed to have missed out, but my head knows it was the right decision to wait.

I could have paid £20 to lock in the price with BA for a further 72 hours, but not sure I'd have been able to make a decision by then either ��

But I'm hoping a Virgin Atlantic sale might come up soon, or that their prices will drop soon.
  • stevie11
    Options
    My heart is disappointed snip.........

With flights so far out there will be something round the corner similarly priced. BA, AA and Virgin have a few sales a year:)
  • secretmachines
    Options
    stevie11 wrote: »
    With flights so far out there will be something round the corner similarly priced. BA, AA and Virgin have a few sales a year:)

That's what I'm hoping :)

Has anyone done a two part trip over about 10 days, with the second leg being in Vegas?

Just looking for inspiration for the first leg, with direct flights to LAS :)
  • Brats64
    Brats64 Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    So the rule of thumb is to book flights if you're happy with price! The flights I was looking at turns out were linked to the BA sale, so have now gone from £453 to £714pp

Though to be fair we had only just started thinking about a holiday, so didn't want to rush into something and I felt a little uncomfortable about making an impulse buy 🙂

I agree, you should always book if you are happy with the price.

But remember to cancel flight alert prices as soon as you have booked.

We have just returned from our yearly Vegas trip on Friday morning.
    By Friday evening we were looking at booking Florida, haven’t been for a few years.Saw what I thought was a ridiculous cheap flight direct with Virgin for their economy classic...includes baggage,and seat choices...for £331 each.So booked it straight away.Forgot to turn off flight alerts for tracked prices, and yesterday received email with prices we paid few days ago now down to £256 for same flights.

£225 cheaper for the three tickets within days will remind me from now on to cancel tracking prices.Will book Vegas for October next year when flights are out,but won’t make the same mistake again.

Though as said, if your happy with the price you have paid, then that’s all that matters.
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Just looking for inspiration for the first leg, with direct flights to LAS :)
    Washington DC. You could visit the city, or Shenandoah National Park.

San Francisco. City, or Yosemite.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • secretmachines
    Options
    John259 wrote: »
    Washington DC. You could visit the city, or Shenandoah National Park.

San Francisco. City, or Yosemite.

WAS is a good shout, we did there last year :D
    Haven't been to SF so tempted by there...
    Not bothered by LA, could go back to Boston, or haven't properly done NYC.
    I'm even intrigued by Texas... So many places to try!
  • lizzielie
    lizzielie Posts: 1,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    martmonk wrote: »
    Anyone have experience of Vegas on 4th July?

We've booked 25th June - 4th July for 2019 using our BA Amex 2-4-1, and the plan at the moment is a couple of nights in Vegas, then 3-4 elsewhere (likely San Diego), then back for the last 2-3 nights, which would include 4th as our last night.

I'm going to make a 'banker' hotel booking for the 4th at least as I'm not sure what to expect in terms of prices and occupancy levels. Looking for your experiences?

TIA.

One day we will make it to the States for the 4th July:) Sounds like an awesome trip though. But be aware, Vegas sometimes don't do fireworks on 4th July. Generally it is done the closest weekend to that day. Super strange really..

On a separate note, thanks to BA sale, we have yet another trip to Vegas booked; 1st to the 10th December! 1k for flights and rental car, could not pass that up. Trip number 4 this year for me, and number 15th in the last 5 and a bit years...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure