Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2018

Options

Comments

• HarryGray
    Options
    So I have just booked my flights to Vegas - April 27th - 3rd May direct from Heathrow for £399pp with Virgin Atlantic which is a great deal on Netflights at the moment.

Trying to keep my overall costs of flights and hotels below £750! Anyone have any idea? Mirage is $51 per night plus $18.50 (split between 2) at the moment which would bring my trip to £817 so just above budget.

Any thoughts welcome!
  • martmonk
    Options
    That's what I'm hoping :)

Has anyone done a two part trip over about 10 days, with the second leg being in Vegas?

Just looking for inspiration for the first leg, with direct flights to LAS :)

2012 we landed in SF, spent 3 nights, then took the next 3 nights to drive down the pacific highway and across to vegas for 7 nights.
    Could definitely have made the drive 2 nights, maybe even just 1.

Earlier this year we did 3 nights in San Diego, 2 nights Anaheim, 3 in Vegas then back to SD for 3 nights.

We're probably going back to San Diego next year as we liked it so much.
  • bobbyhibs
    Options
    That's what I'm hoping :)

Has anyone done a two part trip over about 10 days, with the second leg being in Vegas?

Just looking for inspiration for the first leg, with direct flights to LAS :)

hi
    unsure if much intrest but what about new york? my brother and I have done new york for 3 days then 10 nights in vegas back in 2015...and the reverse... we did vegas for 10nights and on the way back home did new york for 3 nights. no harm doing new york for a week then vegas for a week
    we loved it doing both !
    there is a similar new york thread like this one somewhere on the mse board if it helps!
  • stevie11
    Options
    I like the idea of San Fran (3 or 4 nights) couple of days on the road then Vegas for the remaining part of the hol. San Fran is my favorite US city but the occomodation is so expensive there especially when you compare to LV.

I think this is the sort of plan Secretmachines had originally;)
  • secretmachines
    Options
    stevie11 wrote: »
    I like the idea of San Fran (3 or 4 nights) couple of days on the road then Vegas for the remaining part of the hol. San Fran is my favorite US city but the occomodation is so expensive there especially when you compare to LV.

I think this is the sort of plan Secretmachines had originally;)

Great minds!
    Never been to SFO (and am a 49ers fan too!) so quite fancy there... Would probably fly to LAS but a drive does sound fun... Though never driven on the other side of the road before!
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 27 September 2018 at 2:20PM
    Options
    There are several routes from San Francisco to Las Vegas:

Via Lake Tahoe. Very scenic. Four days.

Via Yosemite National Park and Bishop. Three days (plus at least one day in Yosemite). The most scenic option.

Via CA99 or I-5, Bakersfield. Two days. The least scenic option (unless you include a day in Sequoia National Park).

Via US101. Two or three days. Moderately scenic.

Via CA1, the Pacific Coast Highway. Three days allowing for stops along the way. Very scenic. You can easily avoid Los Angeles.

There are YouTube videos of all these, or you can use Google Maps/StreetView mode to check them out.

Driving in the USA outside of the big cities is very easy. The big cities, including their freeways, are naturally more stressful.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • Lovetotravel
    Options
    I'm hoping to go to Vegas for a UFC flight on 29 December. What's the likelyhood that MyVegas will still be offering two night stays in December? There seem to be quite a few around at the moment and I'm not sure of the change frequency.
  • stevie11
    Options
    I'm hoping to go to Vegas for a UFC flight on 29 December. What's the likelyhood that MyVegas will still be offering two night stays in December? There seem to be quite a few around at the moment and I'm not sure of the change frequency.

I have had hotel rewards for early to mid Dec before, not sure whether Christmas and new year time will be classed a blackout dates though. Also I have never seen weekend hotel rewards.

Good luck.
  • Lovetotravel
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I don;t mind paying for a few nights, but hoping I can get a couple a bit cheaper too. It's a last minute trip so it's all being done on a shoestring!
    stevie11 wrote: »
    I have had hotel rewards for early to mid Dec before, not sure whether Christmas and new year time will be classed a blackout dates though. Also I have never seen weekend hotel rewards.

Good luck.
  • stevie11
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I don;t mind paying for a few nights, but hoping I can get a couple a bit cheaper too. It's a last minute trip so it's all being done on a shoestring!

Check out smartervegas, which links directly to the hotel booking page. I have noticed dates at the end of Dec to be on the cheap side except for Christmas Eve & Day and similar with New years eve & day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure