New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Travelling On

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
5.7K replies 257.3K views

Replies

• KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    35.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    greenbee wrote: »
    If your brother hasn’t opening his steam mop, tell him you’ll test it. Or even better, he can bring it over and give you a demo ;)
    Good thinking, but 300 miles separate us :p
    I have a robot hoover, which I love. I just get fed up with having to take it up and down stairs - i’d love a second one at some point. It isn’t great for corners, so I also have a G-tech hand held. I still have my old dysons as I still have builders dust in my future which isn’t good for them, so try to use the old ones to deal with the worst of the mess. And I have a cleaner, so she uses those. I have a steam mop for the tiled floors (after they’ve been hoovered) and use an ordinary mop for the bamboo downstairs and floorboards upstairs.
    I'm just not as clean as you are :o:o:o and I won't be even after all this :o:o:o
    Well done on getting the kitchen done. I’m still not brave enough (and have now put my savings into my pensions so have to start again :D).
    Good luck with that! I doubt I'd have had such a big renovation if I hadn't inherited that money from my mum.

Extra expenditures are needed: the corner by the fridge wasn't included in the replastering quote; I need to get the place painted, just white; I need a new sink, I was going with the old one but it's kind of bent where they got the old tap off; and I need a new ceiling light, this one is horrible.
    teapot2 wrote: »
    I have a steam mop as all floors are laminate, vinyl or tiled here apart from the stairs and landing which is carpeted. I like it and its easy to use on the rarish occasions I clean the floors.
    Aha! That's exactly my situation - stairs are carpeted (my landing is three feet square!) I have a rug in the living room and two very small rugs in my bedroom. I have a kilim left over from my therapy room, which I had cleaned professionally, but I don't quite know what to do with it. Maybe in the kitchen, actually?
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, tyre man came about 3.30pm (15.30) and all sorted with no fuss. Lovely chap. V helpful. Apparently there are no Michelin tyres available in the UK for SUVs. I wonder if this is the French playing silly Bs. They stopped production in Stoke a while ago and made it into a training centre and closed the Dundee factory last year. Now we don't seem to be able to buy Michelins in the UK. So I went for Pirellis as I do quite a lot of multi terrain and long drives in mine. Next test will be camping then driving to Italy, so worth having a premium tyre. Under £500 but not by much!

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £7,085.43/£5k 141.7%
    Save £12k in 2021 - #26 aiming for £7,500
    OS Grocery Challenge 2021 target £0/£3k 0% annual (£500 contingency)
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • greentgreent Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    My OH had trouble sourcing Michelins for his car, Suffolk lass - so that's interesting to hear (he has a big 7 seater VW)

Karma - how about something like a Bi55ell crosswave? - does wet and dry: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8377797. I don't have one, so can't recommend it - but I've seen people recommend them on the TOMM faceb00k page (Organised Mum Method)
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2021 £0/£500 Decluttering 2021: 70/1000
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Good thinking, but 300 miles separate us :p
    That's a pity. Are you sure he won't want to visit to see your new kitchen?
    I'm just not as clean as you are :o:o:o and I won't be even after all this :o:o:o
    I think it was the building work that did it to me... all that dust got me down (as did living with the clutter) so now I like everything to be empty and visibly clean! The amount of dust the robot picked up when I first got it and it started going under the furniture was astonishing - particularly given that I've had a cleaner for about 2 years now!
    Good luck with that! I doubt I'd have had such a big renovation if I hadn't inherited that money from my mum.
    Part of the problem is that I know I need to do the kind of kitchen installation that people will expect for the location/type/value of house, so I need to save quite a bit. And TBH having made the effort to get the rest of the house how I want, I don't want to compromise on the kitchen. But it's coming up for 6 years now, so I really do need to focus on getting it done. My savings are looking reasonably healthy again, but I just don't like spending them :cool:
    Extra expenditures are needed: the corner by the fridge wasn't included in the replastering quote; I need to get the place painted, just white; I need a new sink, I was going with the old one but it's kind of bent where they got the old tap off; and I need a new ceiling light, this one is horrible.

There's a ceiling light in my garage ... but yes, there's always more to spend on, and TBH if you're having all that work done you want to make sure that the investment isn't ruined by a few bits you didn't get round to. For a start, you're going to spend the first couple of weeks just admiring it :)
  • earthgirlearthgirl Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sound like the renovations are going well so far karma. I bet its so exciting!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
    35.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    greenbee wrote: »
    Are you sure [your brother] won't want to visit to see your new kitchen?
    Family needs keep him up north at the moment.
    There's a ceiling light in my garage ... but yes, there's always more to spend on, and TBH if you're having all that work done you want to make sure that the investment isn't ruined by a few bits you didn't get round to. For a start, you're going to spend the first couple of weeks just admiring it :)
    I hope so! I'm glad the sink is going - I didn't want it, but because its quality, I felt I should keep it. But with the taps rusted in to it, I can let it go, hurray. The central light, I loathe, I'm really happy to see it go :)
    earthgirl wrote: »
    Sound like the renovations are going well so far karma. I bet its so exciting!
    Thanks earthie! Not exciting yet :o but it's starting - all the plasterboarding has been done, and the plasterers are here on Monday.

Today, I've been shattered again - but I did slowly saunter into town for a little bit of food shopping - frozen veg, fresh veg that can be eaten raw, a few carbs, a bit of protein. I need to do some washing up :o
    Retired August 2016
    Not counting this! 2020
  • apple_muncherapple_muncher Forumite
    11.4K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having other people around - and knowing that they are coming - can be so tiring. Take care x
    NST Jan Jitterbugger#1; NSD2 ; Ex3 ; bagfuls (62)

Mortgage £386 ish (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate: very soonish
  • teapot2teapot2 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully you can get a bit of a break over the weekend? Extra spendies don't sound tooo horrendous and well worth getting things just as you want them.
    35.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having other people around - and knowing that they are coming - can be so tiring. Take care x
    That's true - it's better when it's an early time, like with all workmen, but its still tiring. And the only place to physically relax while they're here is in bed, actually :p
    teapot2 wrote: »
    Hopefully you can get a bit of a break over the weekend? Extra spendies don't sound tooo horrendous and well worth getting things just as you want them.
    Yep, they left on Friday at 2.30, so I've already had nearly two days free :) Extra spendies aren't too bad at all, really, I didn't think of it, but should have known there'd be some. It's fine, financially.

Leaving the house at 10.30 to go buy stuff :D ignore the next post, its purchasing possibilities :)
    Retired August 2016
    Not counting this! 2020