New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Travelling On

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
5.7K replies 257.4K views

Replies

• KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    35.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks beanie, sleep didn't go too badly. The same workman is here today, doing his thing, I'm faffing about on the computer in my bedroom, and not quite sure what to do when I physically get going. Actually, I *am* sure, I just don't want to do it ... I need to do the washing up (difficult with no kitchen sink and only a tiny handbasin upstairs in action) and after a rest I'll probably start to clean the kitchen cupboards destined for the shed. Exotic, no? :)

In the meantime - two purchases are to be planned, a stick blender and a cleaning method, either a stick vacuum or a steam mop. Not sure which, and not while the works are on, or while I'm restocking the kitchen. The need for decluttering grows apace ...
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021
  • teapot2teapot2 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear all going to plan so far. I guess it was always going to be be messy having the work done but the reality can still be a bit of a shocker. Sounds like a good idea to use disposables while your DW is out of action - making life as simple as poss when its disrupted is important.

Take care with all thats going on ;)
  • greentgreent Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad it's going ok so far! - just focus on the end result... :) xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2021 £0/£500 Decluttering 2021: 70/1000
  • themadvixthemadvix Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could you wash up outside? It makes it seem more holiday-like in my experience (all those Brownie holidays!) and less awkward - need a bowl, drainer, table...
  • daisy_1571daisy_1571 Forumite
    489 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    With you on the washing up. Theres only 2 of us plus the builders mugs of course but kneeling over the bath doing the dishes was not the most fun time in my life ! Lol, however although it seems endless at the time it does actually pass and the end result is worth it. Often they get a tap up and running for you before you get the whole kitchen done but I found it easier to carry on using the bathroom as you gave to clean up all the dust and grit before even starting on the dishes if I used the kitchen.

Kitchens and bathrooms are very hard to work around building works but you really appreciate them once they are all up and running again :beer::beer:

Keep on keeping on kc

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    74.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A stick hoover sounds good.
    I got a Shark one In January on three months interest free credit to coincide with no council tax.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 1 month to go ****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • rtandon27rtandon27 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    KC - our trusty old vacuum gave up the ghost earlier this year...

... I broke down and invested in a geeeeetech power floor k9...

...it was a bit ouchy in price, but lightweight, easy to use & clean and very powerful...

...so easy to use in fact that even OH uses it!

so my vote (we are voting right?) is for the stick vac!
    4 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Finally managing to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!

Proud holder of a medal from MrsSD 🏅
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    74.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Meant to say that the Shark is just fab.
    Way way better than the Dyson ever ever was.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 1 month to go ****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    35.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    themadvix wrote: »
    Could you wash up outside? It makes it seem more holiday-like in my experience (all those Brownie holidays!) and less awkward - need a bowl, drainer, table...
    daisy_1571 wrote: »
    With you on the washing up. Theres only 2 of us plus the builders mugs of course but kneeling over the bath doing the dishes was not the most fun time in my life ! Lol, however although it seems endless at the time it does actually pass and the end result is worth it. Often they get a tap up and running for you before you get the whole kitchen done but I found it easier to carry on using the bathroom as you gave to clean up all the dust and grit before even starting on the dishes if I used the kitchen.

Kitchens and bathrooms are very hard to work around building works but you really appreciate them once they are all up and running again :beer::beer:

Keep on keeping on kc

Daisy xx
    Thanks for the input both of you. Washing outside is a good idea (except it was throwing it down yesterday :D) but I don't have a clean table to use. I have the patio table, but thats old, discoloured plastic, a castoff from my sister. I wouldn't put anything on it that I was going to subsequently use :o Plus I'd have to trek past the building site to get outside, or use the hardstanding at the front where everyone can see me, with the same issue about not having a clean table **faints** I know what you mean about the holiday vibe, though, madvix, thats a lovely thought!

Daisy, that's interesting about not using the tap they set up, because you have to clean. Yes, I get you on that, and I wouldn't do it either.

What I *am* doing is using a glass bowl to heat my porridge in the microwave, and then use that to wash up the things that aren't disposables. Don't want to do it in the bathroom, as that's next door to the kitchen, and the builders are using that during the day anyway.
    Retired August 2016
    Not counting this! 2020
    35.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    beanielou wrote: »
    A stick hoover sounds good.
    I got a Shark one In January on three months interest free credit to coincide with no council tax.
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    KC - our trusty old vacuum gave up the ghost earlier this year...

... I broke down and invested in a geeeeetech power floor k9...

...it was a bit ouchy in price, but lightweight, easy to use & clean and very powerful...

...so easy to use in fact that even OH uses it!

so my vote (we are voting right?) is for the stick vac!
    Yep, we're voting, thanks for yours, guys :):):)

The steam mop idea comes from my brother (who hasn't taken his out of its box yet, to be fair :p ) and I have a lot of vinyl flooring in my house. My sister lurves her stick vac (though that's a Dyson).
    Retired August 2016
    Not counting this! 2020