New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Travelling On

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
5.4K replies 252.1K views

Replies

• greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re. Lights, consider Ikea. When my original kitchen light gave up I got the 5-spot one of these (it’s a long, narrow room) and it made a huge difference after the central three-bulb fitting as I could angle the lighting so I could see properly. They are also cheap! (And bulbs are replaceable).

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/lighting/ceiling-lights/basisk-ceiling-track-3-spots-nickel-plated-white-art-80262583/

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/lighting/ceiling-lights/tidig-ceiling-spotlight-with-5-spots-nickel-plated-art-90262653/

I also got my utility room double ceramic sink from ikea and everyone raves about it, so worth looking at those too.
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks greenbee :) with the lights, I've gravitated to them naturally, I *really* like the upside-down-tealight effect, and once I realised they had a remote and could change colour, I was sold :rotfl: everything is very plain, and I like the idea of a bit of fun.

The sinks - I'd have quite liked ceramic, the material and the texture and look are beautiful, but reading the recommended cleaning routine makes me *know* it will end up looking awful.

I definitely don't need a double sink, and I currently have a 1.5 sink - the only thing I use the 0.5 for is to hold the washing up liquid etc, I don't really have the need for it. So I thought I'd go simple :)
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    14.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one has told me about a recommended cleaning routine for a ceramic sink... I just like the fact that it doesn’t sow water marks from my hard water ☺️
  • greentgreent Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    We have a 1.5 sink and I wouldn't be without the 0.5bit - aside from the fact the drainer bowl bit in there holds my sponge and cloth in the day (thrown in wm at night/ in morning) I like the fact I can drain things down there/ throw away the dregs from my mug / someone's glass when I have a full bowl of clean wu water (I don't use a wu bowl) However, you can also do all of these things (except store cloths!) straight into the dw :D

How's the vacuum/ mop debate coming along?
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/19 £48986 2020 OPs (#18) £9.8K/6K
    Net sales 2020 £840.13/£500 Decluttering: 2550/2500
    34.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    greenbee wrote: »
    No one has told me about a recommended cleaning routine for a ceramic sink... I just like the fact that it doesn’t sow water marks from my hard water ☺️
    Thats a big benefit, its true, in my area as well. Oops.
    greent wrote: »
    We have a 1.5 sink and I wouldn't be without the 0.5bit - aside from the fact the drainer bowl bit in there holds my sponge and cloth in the day (thrown in wm at night/ in morning) I like the fact I can drain things down there/ throw away the dregs from my mug / someone's glass when I have a full bowl of clean wu water (I don't use a wu bowl) However, you can also do all of these things (except store cloths!) straight into the dw :D
    My sister loves her 0.5 sink- but I've never got into the habit of using it, and only use it for storing a sponge, a cloth and the wu liquid. It got really grungy in there :(
    How's the vacuum/ mop debate coming along?
    x
    I'm leaning towards a steam mop again, simply because I have so much more floor area that's relevant to that, rather than a vacuum. It doesn't feel right for me to do those areas with a vacuum :o No research has been done, however!

I met up with my sister, and we went B&Q/ Homebase/ B&Q - bought both things from B&Q in the end. The sink is a single drainer, universal fitting, a Franke, very plain, classic lines, with a 50 year guarantee :D that will definitely see me out. £130, really nice quality, plus £10 for fittings.

The light fitting - I went for the 3 upside tealights thing in the end, £30 plus £5 P&P. I like it, but it's neat rather than funky, I'm going to have to have a moment of drama in there somehow :rotfl:

Total spent £165. Thats fine, and I like this sink **much** more than the one I just said goodbye to.

Got an IV of nice hot tea at the moment :rotfl:
    Retired August 2016
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    14.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you've got things you like. You'll have to think of other ways to introduce drama into the kitchen instead of the lights. What about a blind in a contrasting fabric?
    34.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a good idea! I've seen people have amazing images printed on the inside of venetian blinds. Doing it on a Roman blind would be even better!
    Retired August 2016
    14.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something more to research! :D
  • apple_muncherapple_muncher Forumite
    11.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 50 year guarantee on a sink ?!?!
    NST November#1; NSD2 ; Ex2 ; bagfuls (62)

Mortgage £500? ish (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate: very soonish
    34.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep! I'll be a hundred-and-eleventy so that's fine :)

Plasterers arrived on time at 8am ... their glue keeps tripping the electrics, so my broadband is extra-glitchy this morning, but they seem good at their job, so I don't really care. Been watching a youtube video, before the glitchiness started, of climate scientist Paul Beckwith on polar vortexes/ dying gulf stream/ overheated Arctic. Really, really bad news for us in the medium term, let alone the long term.

Because of the glitchy broadband, I've been doing little bits of tidying in my desk - it's the only bit I can reach right now, thats fairly normal but still needs to be tidied.... I might treat myself to a cuppa then go clean one of the cupboards thats destined for the shed, I've got to do *something* thats related to getting the house straighter. Plus, weirdly, I need to check on the dates of the caravan holiday and then buy visitor tickets to Dungeness Nuclear Power Station :D
    Retired August 2016