New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Travelling On

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
5.7K replies 257.3K views

Replies

• KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    35.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No workmen in today, they're going so fast :j
    I've had a cuppa, and my porridge, and I'm still in bed, with my laptop on my knee. Bliss. I did some gardening yesterday, not the old-cabinet-cleaning, because I kept having to dodge the rain, so when I *eventually* get up (after I've made a coffee), I might do more of that. Got to be careful not to overdo it, the rest of the day might just be a trip to the local shop and a DVD or so :)
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021
  • rtandon27rtandon27 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a plan! - trust your gut KC - if it says rest is needed then definitely take it easy!
    4 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Finally managing to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!

Proud holder of a medal from MrsSD 🏅
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    74.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pace pace pace:p
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 1 month to go ****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    5.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Re your mop vs vacuum dilemma, do you get more dust or dirt IYSWIM? Steam mop if it is wet or muddy footprints but not if you will need to sweep first. We also have a first generation G-thing (not string :rotfl:) without the disposal slide. It is OK - picks up well but the dirt compartment fills for every room - it is so small (or maybe we are just filthy! :eek:). I would tend to go for a stick vacuum followed up with a squeegee mop (when needed). We also have a steam cleaner but we have Suffolk Brick floors (well we would, wouldn't we, here in Suffolk!).

Kitchen progress sounds good. I am skiving ahead of the tyre man arriving.

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £7,085.43/£5k 141.7%
    Save £12k in 2021 - #26 aiming for £7,500
    OS Grocery Challenge 2021 target £0/£3k 0% annual (£500 contingency)
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • rtandon27rtandon27 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...G-thing (not string :rotfl:)...

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

This did make me laugh! Yesterday, went on a very rare (once or twice a year) shopping trip to a mall with a friend & her 20 year old niece...

...to the lingerie department...

Niece-ling was very NOT impressed at our hysterics over the string-things...

...and even less impressed by our predilection towards practical underpinnings...

4 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Finally managing to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!

Proud holder of a medal from MrsSD 🏅
  • apple_muncherapple_muncher Forumite
    11.4K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shuffles in to confess that we have 4, yes four, vacuum cleaners. I think my dh has a problem... And it's not as if we use them much... downstairs is all laminate or vinyl...
    NST Jan Jitterbugger#1; NSD2 ; Ex3 ; bagfuls (62)

Mortgage £386 ish (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate: very soonish
  • shangaijimmyshangaijimmy Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I confess to using our vacuum on the artificial grass...then had to take it to pieces to clean it before Mrs SJ found out! it never worked quite the same again!!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £70,673.47......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £60,885.85... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £10,544.62
    MFiT-T5 #8 - £14,635 of £23,100 (63.35%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge - £15.86 of £705
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    35.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apple, a lot of people seem to have one vacuum per floor, to save carrying, but I'd not previously heard of anyone having four :D

Jimmy, how very dare you :rotfl: though I *have* wondered about how people keep artificial grass clean :p
    Re your mop vs vacuum dilemma, do you get more dust or dirt IYSWIM? Steam mop if it is wet or muddy footprints but not if you will need to sweep first.
    Thats a good question. There's dust thats lain so long its *become* dirt :o there's ordinary kitchen grubbiness (bits of spillage) and there's garden dirt getting tramped on a path from back door to front door. Kitchen and bathroom and ceramic tiles, living room is vinyl with a rug, porch is vinyl, stairs are carpet, all three bedrooms are vinyl - this is why we were thinking a steam mop might be most relevant. Brother got one for less than £30, and for that price even if I just catch up on the dirt and it only lasts a year, thats okay - I promise to take it to electrical recycling :o
    We also have a first generation G-thing (not string :rotfl:) without the disposal slide. It is OK - picks up well but the dirt compartment fills for every room - it is so small (or maybe we are just filthy! :eek:). I would tend to go for a stick vacuum followed up with a squeegee mop (when needed). We also have a steam cleaner but we have Suffolk Brick floors (well we would, wouldn't we, here in Suffolk!).
    A squeegee like for windows? I don't think that will apply enough pressure on my filthy vinyl, tbh, Suffolk :o:o:o though it might do once I've caught up on the backlog.
    Kitchen progress sounds good. I am skiving ahead of the tyre man arriving.
    I'm pretty confident now that these guys are going to arrive when they say they do, but waiting in still has its problems, doesn't it - hope your tyre man arrived as scheduled.
    rtandon27 wrote: »

This did make me laugh! Yesterday, went on a very rare (once or twice a year) shopping trip to a mall with a friend & her 20 year old niece...

...to the lingerie department...

Niece-ling was very NOT impressed at our hysterics over the string-things...

...and even less impressed by our predilection towards practical underpinnings...

Never worn one of those, never going to now :rotfl: the nearest I came was a stripper's outfit I wore to a fancy dress party at a science fiction con, but I had tights on underneath :p a lot of people took photos :p
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your brother hasn’t opening his steam mop, tell him you’ll test it. Or even better, he can bring it over and give you a demo ;)

I have a robot hoover, which I love. I just get fed up with having to take it up and down stairs - i’d love a second one at some point. It isn’t great for corners, so I also have a G-tech hand held. I still have my old dysons as I still have builders dust in my future which isn’t good for them, so try to use the old ones to deal with the worst of the mess. And I have a cleaner, so she uses those. I have a steam mop for the tiled floors (after they’ve been hoovered) and use an ordinary mop for the bamboo downstairs and floorboards upstairs.

Well done on getting the kitchen done. I’m still not brave enough (and have now put my savings into my pensions so have to start again :D).
  • teapot2teapot2 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a steam mop as all floors are laminate, vinyl or tiled here apart from the stairs and landing which is carpeted. I like it and its easy to use on the rarish occasions I clean the floors.