We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Credit Card Reclaiming Discussion

Options

Comments

• flugella
    flugella Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I aprrecaite this may be a daft quesiton but even if the charge is only £12 can I still claim it back?
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS! DFW Nerd 1004
    Debt at lightbulb moment (April 2004) - £62,000
    Debt now - £27703.11 - UNDER 30k AT LAST!!!!!
    Drop one thing in 2010 - no books / DVDs until I've read and watched the ones that are on the shelf!
  • Froggy08
    Froggy08 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All and Happy New Year!

I'm in the process of claiming back charges from Barclaycard. Quick summary of events so far........

2/12/08 Recieved Statements

3/12/08 Submitted claim for full charges totalling £456.00 plus £168.37. Total = £624.37 (Interest Calculated using MSE speadsheet).

12/12/08 Received offer of £168.00 as full & final, automatically credited to my Barclaycard account.

15/12/08 Accepted offer as partial payment only and requested full payment as per my claim, balance of £456.37.

5/1/09 Received "Final Response" stating charges fair etc etc but stating they will credit my account with a further £ 313.48. Total I've now received is £492.48.

The letter states that " Having check our records, I confirm you have been charged fee's totalling £492.48 including 8% interest..."

This figure is £131.39 less than the figure I claimed, which I based upon copy statements for previous six years from claim date and 8% interest as per Money Saving Expert interest calculator.

Barclaycard have not detaield how they have arrived at £492.48, nor have they shown how much of this is charges and how much is interest.

Should I write to them again accepting as partial payment only and request full balance against my claim OR do I pursue legally given that they've now had 3 bites at the cherry to settle my claim?? The latest letter states " for the purposes of the Financial Ombudsman Service you may regard this letter as our Final Response to your complaint".

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Karl
  • spoonk1
    spoonk1 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    1ST timer here need help i have had credit card charges store card charges catalogue charges adding up to thousands,but i really dont think i could face going to court,do many end up in court.These r the charges i have had capital 1, vanquis visa,Ge money,littlewoods,ver baudet,topshop,mbna,I do plan on sending them all letters for my 6 yrs of statements but dont think i could stand in court.ADVICE MUCH APPRECIATED:eek:
  • TOSAMIC
    Options
    My husband and I have a debt management plan with CCCS which only started in October. We have several credit card debts included and have been charged late payment fees by all of them in the past. If we claim these amounts back I am worried they will then demand the rest of the debt in full, and not accept the DMP any longer. Does anyone have a similar experience and do you think its worth having a go?
  • Absolut_Wench
    Options
    TOSAMIC wrote: »
    My husband and I have a debt management plan with CCCS which only started in October. We have several credit card debts included and have been charged late payment fees by all of them in the past. If we claim these amounts back I am worried they will then demand the rest of the debt in full, and not accept the DMP any longer. Does anyone have a similar experience and do you think its worth having a go?

Hi there. Both myself and OH are on DMP, and have credit card charges. I have successfully reclaimed charges from several CC providers and it has not affected my DMP or my relationship with my creditors (apart from reducing the balance!)

When you are successful, you'll probably find that the CC companies want to apply the refund to your outstanding balance, so you may not get a cheque but you will get your balance reduced.

Maybe you should speak to your CCCS counsellor? My Payplan counsellor was happy for me to pursue unfair credit card and bank charges.

Good luck! I hope it all goes well for you.
    LBM November 2005: approx £32K :eek:
    Current debt: approx £12K :T
    Getting there one day at a time ;)
  • TOSAMIC
    Options
    Thanks for yur reply, I'll definitely have a go. Im more than happy for them to apply any refund to reduce the balance as it will only shorten the DMP in the long run.
  • SilverLining_2
    Options
    Im about to start the process of claiming my charges on my credit cards.

What I really need to know before I start is....

Can I reclaim even though they are currently with the debt collection services?

I have to pay numerous debt collections installments of my balances not the actual credit card companies, but could i still go ahead with the reclaiming?

Also I have store cards and also credit cards as a CCJ, can these still be claimed back?

Finally, does the reclaiming mean only credit card and store cards or can it be loans from the bank too?

All of mine are with the debt collection agencies bar one.

Many thanks
    Bank Charges = Cahoot bank account refunded £1640 asked for £1871 / Barclaycard refunded £480 asked for £480 Black Horse PPI refunded £797 asked for £797
  • smileej
    Options
    hi i have a large credit card debt from lloydstsb and i am worried that if i claim back these charges will they close my account. if they close my account does this mean i have to repay the outstanding balance. thanks in advance for any replies
  • jonnyb1978
    jonnyb1978 Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    Options
    My credit card is only 1 year old and cant believe ive had £60 of charges. All £12.00

Whats the likeness of getting this back as the OFT say this is fair. ive asked them to provide a breakdown on how they get such amount. They wont send i know.

Has anyone been successful on just asking for these smaller charges.
  • arunadasi
    arunadasi Posts: 1,239 Forumite
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I wrote NatWest an initial lettrt to reclaim credi card charges and have heard back form them. They returned my cheque of £10 saying that they do not charge for this service. Over limit fees and late fees toal just under £900. So now I'll proceed further, and hopefully with success...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure